Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got my configuration Email. Need advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tax credit is for 2 quarters after Tesla reaches their 200,000 cars sold. Meaning, they reached it July, so they have the last two quarters of 2018 to sell cars with the $7500 tax credit. After that it goes down to $3500 for X amount of time and then another amount... I stopped listening after I heard 2 full quarters. That means that every car they sell until December will be eligible for the $7500 tax credit. So, as long as you buy it this year, you'll get the credit.

Several sources, but Ben's pretty smart:

I'm in the same boat as you. My wife's lease is up on her Leaf in November, and I ordered my Tesla in June, so we didn't know everything about the tax credit. So I decided 3 months of double payments was doable as long as I got the full $7500.

If you order today, chances are really good that they'll contact you in a few weeks for delivery. How long can you put them off? I'm not sure, because I replied as soon as I got the email and said when can I pick it up? I'm supposed to be out of town August 4th, but I'm coming back a day early to get my car!

• Informative
Reactions: LectrikPower
Tax credit is for 2 quarters after Tesla reaches their 200,000 cars sold. Meaning, they reached it July, so they have the last two quarters of 2018 to sell cars with the $7500 tax credit. After that it goes down to $3500 for X amount of time and then another amount... I stopped listening after I heard 2 full quarters. That means that every car they sell until December will be eligible for the $7500 tax credit. So, as long as you buy it this year, you'll get the credit...

The tax credit halves for two quarters ($3750 until June 2019) then halves again for two quarters ($1875 until 2020). And it doesn't go by when you reserve the car, but rather when you take delivery. With Tesla running out of the built up stock of RWD vehicles, and with the prioritization of the AWD and Performance models, the 2-4 month wait time will quickly queue up and slip even further. I'd venture to say that if you don't place a reservation soon, and are not willing to splurge for a higher trim, you may quickly run out of time to take delivery this year.

Reactions: Nevertipsy
Tax credit is for 2 quarters after Tesla reaches their 200,000 cars sold. Meaning, they reached it July, so they have the last two quarters of 2018 to sell cars with the $7500 tax credit. After that it goes down to $3500 for X amount of time and then another amount... I stopped listening after I heard 2 full quarters. That means that every car they sell until December will be eligible for the $7500 tax credit. So, as long as you buy it this year, you'll get the credit.

Several sources, but Ben's pretty smart:

I'm in the same boat as you. My wife's lease is up on her Leaf in November, and I ordered my Tesla in June, so we didn't know everything about the tax credit. So I decided 3 months of double payments was doable as long as I got the full $7500.

If you order today, chances are really good that they'll contact you in a few weeks for delivery. How long can you put them off? I'm not sure, because I replied as soon as I got the email and said when can I pick it up? I'm supposed to be out of town August 4th, but I'm coming back a day early to get my car!
Nice! I will order soon. A few months of double payments will be ok. The kids say they will miss the Leaf. It will give them time to adjust, lol.

I have received (like everyone else) an invitation to configure .... now, plus two reminders.

I am not sure what to make of it? I was informed not to expect any activity on my reservation until late 2018 and more like early 2019.

Has Tesla worked it's way through 450,000 reservations already? That doesn't seem possible. I've read that 25% of reservations have been refunded, but that still leaves over 335,000 vehicles. They haven't assembled anywhere near that many.
Have more people deferred configuring that Tesla had anticipated?
Did they over-produce LR, non dual motor-performance models and are looking for buyers?

It would be interesting to know how many potential buyers are waiting for the standard battery? Tesla does not seem to be too interested in that segment of the market?

I have no answers .... just curious.

"Model 3: Now Available to Order
Model 3 is available to order, and no reservation is required in the US. We’re now offering all our best options—including our Long Range and Performance configurations with dual motor all-wheel drive. You can design and order yours today for delivery in approximately 2–4 months." (underline added)

The above quote is copied directly from the M3 configuration invite.

What is the advantage of being a reservation holder? Also note, where the options are listed ... there is no mention of the standard battery, or $35,000. I'd like to think that after all the orders have been processed for the long range battery .... Tesla will drop the price. But I know that is only wishful thinking.

"Model 3: Now Available to Order
Model 3 is available to order, and no reservation is required in the US. We’re now offering all our best options—including our Long Range and Performance configurations with dual motor all-wheel drive. You can design and order yours today for delivery in approximately 2–4 months." (underline added)

The above quote is copied directly from the M3 configuration invite.

What is the advantage of being a reservation holder? Also note, where the options are listed ... there is no mention of the standard battery, or $35,000. I'd like to think that after all the orders have been processed for the long range battery .... Tesla will drop the price. But I know that is only wishful thinking.
You'd get your car probably in 3 weeks instead of 2 - 4 months if you wanted a P or an LR. I think Tesla will treat you right if you hold out for the SR. My guess is that reservation holders will get their SR's way before brand new buyers. Also, your deposit does get applied to the purchase price, so really if you're like me at least it's kind of like spent money by the time you'll get your car and you'll get that back at purchase, so it's nice little "present" when it comes back to you.

I was holding out for the SR, but once I switched to the LR, my car was ready in 3 weeks. If you take the no or lower tax credit into account if you wait for the SR the LR upgrade starts to look pretty cheap for what you get. My 3 has way more range than I'll probably use 99% of the time, but I can pretty much go ANYWHERE I'd ever drive to now with no planning really.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stirfelt