Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got my Model 3 today: some noob questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone here is being so helpful and nice to the OP with suggestions that the error is from condensation, Low sun angle, Change in temperature, etc... and it should eventually go away. To me this seems like polite excuses for bad engineering. Do you think the astronauts at Space X say, "Don't worry about the error message, go ahead and launch it's just condensation"? I don't think so! Tesla needs to sort this stuff out before the car goes into production and not have customers beta test failed systems. I doubt the SC has a solution.

Everyone here is being so helpful and nice to the OP with suggestions that the error is from condensation, Low sun angle, Change in temperature, etc... and it should eventually go away. To me this seems like polite excuses for bad engineering. Do you think the astronauts at Space X say, "Don't worry about the error message, go ahead and launch it's just condensation"? I don't think so! Tesla needs to sort this stuff out before the car goes into production and not have customers beta test failed systems. I doubt the SC has a solution.

That's because th OP didn't have condensation .. he was just driving at night on a dark unlit road. I get the same error all the time, when there is literally nothing for the cameras to see out the sides (blackness). So you get the warning, which clears as soon as you get someplace where the cameras can see something. So there is nothing to "sort out".

And yes, this is by design .. the car assumes if it can't see something, there may be an error with the camera, and tells you so. Seems a pretty sensible and safe thing to do imho.

Thank you! I was indeed on very dark roads: no street lights. Makes sense. Incredible car. Gonna take most of the day tomorrow to familiarize myself with the UI and such.

Mike
Congrats on the new car! Do yourself a favor and read through the manual. So many car features and safety features that you should know about and not get surprised on how they work. You’ll keep getting OTA updates and after awhile they’ll update the manual. Good time to re-read. There’s a manual accessible from the car’s screen but I also downloaded the current one to my iPhone and keep the .pdf in Books app. Easier to read on the phone and can check it out anytime anywhere then. Also easier when you are in your car and trying to go through menu options on the screen.

Oh and pick up at least a 128GB flash drive stick or a card reader and microSD card to start out with for your TeslaCam/Sentry Mode usage. Newbies mean to do it and time goes by and then something happens to the car (accident/vandalism) where they wish they had it installed. Read up in the manual how to operate it, lots of threads on here as well.

At least that will get you started and give you some protection while you explore other recording device options. I’ve been using a USB-A/USB-C reader with a Samsung Endurance Pro microSD card (Endurance Pro line made especially for repeated heavy read/write recordings of dashcams) for a couple of years now with my 2018 Model 3. Works great. Husband uses same in his MS now. Bought the reader and microSD card off Amazon. Think my UGreen reader was around $14 and the Samsung card around $23 so neither very expensive.

Oh and pick up at least a 128GB flash drive stick or a card reader and microSD card to start out with for your TeslaCam/Sentry Mode usage. Newbies mean to do it and time goes by and then something happens to the car (accident/vandalism) where they wish they had it installed. Read up in the manual how to operate it, lots of threads on here as well.

FWIW the '21s come with a 128GB flash drive pre-installed in the glove box.

Tim