Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got my Model 3 today: some noob questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally traded my 2 year old Bolt and got a Model 3 LR today. So excited, but have a couple questions right off the bat. One is an error message I got on my first drive home from delivery and the other is about charging. I searched these topics but the answers didn't seem to apply or were not definitive.

First, a few times I noticed an error message that the left door pillar camera is blocked. Then the right pillar camera. Then "multiple cameras are blocked or blinded". I searched this and found info on condensation and such but (if I'm looking at the correct camera - top side of the door pillar), the glass is clean and I see no condensation. I was driving at night. Anything I should check? Autopilot worked the 3x I tried it and the error doesn't seem to appear while using autopilot. In fact, the times I noticed it most was when using the left/right turn signals to make a turn.

The second question is not a problem; just an inquiry. I have a Mustart 32A charger that I had been using for my Bolt. When I got home, I plugged in the adapter and used that to start charging: charging started right away without any issues. Is it OK to use this charger on a regular basis? The outlet in my garage is a 14-50. I had read somewhere that you are supposed to plug the adapter into the car first and then the charger into the adapter. Is it OK to just leave the adapter dangling on the charging cord and plug it in?

Tomorrow I'll take the time to learn what I can. Getting late and I just got home and am a little overwhelmed. :)

Thanks,
Mike

Reactions: SlimJim
The second question is not a problem; just an inquiry. I have a Mustart 32A charger that I had been using for my Bolt. When I got home, I plugged in the adapter and used that to start charging: charging started right away without any issues. Is it OK to use this charger on a regular basis? The outlet in my garage is a 14-50. I had read somewhere that you are supposed to plug the adapter into the car first and then the charger into the adapter. Is it OK to just leave the adapter dangling on the charging cord and plug it in?

Yes you should be fine with your existing charging station.

I've been charging for over two years with Juice Box EVSE and I have dedicated adapter I leave attached to it.

Reactions: MikeyC
We have had our M3 for just over 2 weeks, and I experienced the same message for the camera's when driving in very dark areas, once I was in an area with street lights, the warnings went away. This will happen with bright Sun directly into the camera and also condensation.

I finally traded my 2 year old Bolt and got a Model 3 LR today. So excited, but have a couple questions right off the bat. One is an error message I got on my first drive home from delivery and the other is about charging. I searched these topics but the answers didn't seem to apply or were not definitive.

First, a few times I noticed an error message that the left door pillar camera is blocked. Then the right pillar camera. Then "multiple cameras are blocked or blinded". I searched this and found info on condensation and such but (if I'm looking at the correct camera - top side of the door pillar), the glass is clean and I see no condensation. I was driving at night. Anything I should check? Autopilot worked the 3x I tried it and the error doesn't seem to appear while using autopilot. In fact, the times I noticed it most was when using the left/right turn signals to make a turn.

Tomorrow I'll take the time to learn what I can. Getting late and I just got home and am a little overwhelmed. :)

Thanks,
Mike
Dont worry about camera blocked messages at night .. it happens when you are driving down dark roads and the camera cant see anything. For safety it assumes there may be problems with the camera and warns you just in case.

Reactions: MikeyC
Dont worry about camera blocked messages at night .. it happens when you are driving down dark roads and the camera cant see anything. For safety it assumes there may be problems with the camera and warns you just in case.

Thank you! I was indeed on very dark roads: no street lights. Makes sense. Incredible car. Gonna take most of the day tomorrow to familiarize myself with the UI and such.

Mike

I keep my 14-50 adapter dangling and plugged into the outlet all the time. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless your electrician installed the plug upside down, the cable pointed upward and drooping down doesn't look good for it at all. I have had the camera issue, but it was due to condensation and went away after awhile with no driving issues.

Doesn’t make sense to me… Model 3 owner since mid 2018, and I’ve never had my cameras give an error message of blocked during night driving. Have you done a reboot?

I have not. I'll reboot it tomorrow. I'm worn out today: driving over an hour to pick it up and an hour home. Got home around 9pm and skipped dinner. I'll get familiar with it tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies.

Mike

Thanks,
Mike
Make sure you ventilation is fresh air not recirculation. I found that caused the condensation
Also get a service appointment about the blocked cameras. Make sure they read the error codes first

Same. I have a Clipper Creek with an adapter and I leave it connected. Not sure why anyone would say that you should plug the adapter into the car first, that doesn't make sense.
Maybe this may be a clue of why they say plug in the adapter first.
1616298656992.png

Thank you! I was indeed on very dark roads: no street lights. Makes sense. Incredible car. Gonna take most of the day tomorrow to familiarize myself with the UI and such.

Mike

Enjoy! Boring and dull though it may seem, I do advise spending a bit of time studying Autopilot stuff (you might even read that section of the manual!). It's a great feature, but be aware of its limitations, and in particular that you are deemed to be in control of the car at all times. But don't worry, you will love the car!