Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got T-Boned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very sorry to see that. I'm making NO assumptions about your driving, but seeing situations like yours and having seen some of the post-accident Tesla videos that greentheonly posts on Twitter, I've gotten super cautious at green lights. I'm sure I piss people behind me off for not getting going soon enough. It's sad that it's come to that. Good luck, recover soon!
OP, terrible, im glad you came out of this as good as you did. When at intersections I also wait until I look both ways. I learned this as i was almost T-boned by a cross traffic speeding red light runner. Also, if you're going straight you can be assured that cross traffic is clear after your side and the opposte left traffic light signals are done.

It would seem you had either the wherewith all to hit RECORD DASH CAMS, or that is the last recorded cam video. If you had FSDb. I would think that the in dash Camera button WOULD record all camera history (including driver and pass B pillar cams), so that might have been useful to do.. but of course hard to do in the moment for sure.

There is an option to automatically save clips in the event of airbag deployment/horn honk, etc...

In my opinion (as someone who's had multiple airbags deploy from a collision but insurance repaired instead of totaling out the Tesla), your B-pillar damage (or lack thereof) will determine a total loss or not.

Your video seems to show a "low" impact speed, and your photos don't obviously show the damage extended beyond the rear door to the pillar. Combined with my assumption of your "only a couple months old" comment meaning you purchased as a new 2022 model...I lean towards not totaled.

In terms of airbags, the headlights in a Tesla are more expensive to replace (at least they were for my HID iteration)!

That sounds awesome, is there any data or documentation to support that? Interested.
"Musk shared that Tesla Vision allows that car to determine with 100 percent probability that a collision is imminent, which allows it to tension the seat belts ahead of time, and even adjust airbag deployment."

I've not found any further details on Tesla's website or how the airbags are adjusted or deployed by Tesla Vision.

A few points:

1. You don't want this car back. It needs to go to an insurance auction (such as Copart, etc.) for someone like Rich Rebuilds to putz with. The battery will be worth a LOT of money in future years:)

2. To help make that happen, be sure to mention "DIMINISHED VALUE" in every conversation with ANY insurance company, yours and the party that hit you. Your car, even if repaired "perfectly" (although there is no such thing, unfortunately) WILL suffer from a serious loss in value as compared to an equivalent MS with no damage history. This loss of value is easily 5-figures, which SHOULD easily push your car into the "totaled" category. If you need help with this, just google "Diminished Value Appraisal" or the like.

3. Wait for this process to work it way out, and then order yourself a new 2023 MS with the super swell charge port door hinges and that swiveling MCU screen:)

Glad you weren't hurt, BUT be sure you AND your passenger see a doctor for some in-depth evaluations, and at least get some massage/physical therapy to work out any kinks.

Please let us know how it all ends up!

Reactions: baguette
"Musk shared that Tesla Vision allows that car to determine with 100 percent probability that a collision is imminent, which allows it to tension the seat belts ahead of time, and even adjust airbag deployment."

I've not found any further details on Tesla's website or how the airbags are adjusted or deployed by Tesla Vision.
Sounds good.. I know for a fact that many other OEM have been able to indicate essentially the same within 100 -150 ms, and take the same actions. In fact, I was testing such systems within R&D for a German OEM back in 1997.

A few points:

1. You don't want this car back. It needs to go to an insurance auction (such as Copart, etc.) for someone like Rich Rebuilds to putz with. The battery will be worth a LOT of money in future years:)

2. To help make that happen, be sure to mention "DIMINISHED VALUE" in every conversation with ANY insurance company, yours and the party that hit you. Your car, even if repaired "perfectly" (although there is no such thing, unfortunately) WILL suffer from a serious loss in value as compared to an equivalent MS with no damage history. This loss of value is easily 5-figures, which SHOULD easily push your car into the "totaled" category. If you need help with this, just google "Diminished Value Appraisal" or the like.

3. Wait for this process to work it way out, and then order yourself a new 2023 MS with the super swell charge port door hinges and that swiveling MCU screen:)

Glad you weren't hurt, BUT be sure you AND your passenger see a doctor for some in-depth evaluations, and at least get some massage/physical therapy to work out any kinks.

Please let us know how it all ends up!
The S I have/had? has the swiveling MCU and all that. Does sound like it's going to be declared a total loss based on conversations so far.

Got T-Boned today, I'm okay, just really sore. Guy ran a red light and I was turning left. So grateful for the incredible safety features. Airbags seemed to have gone off before impact, I saw it all happen in a flash then next thing I know my arm was really warm and the car full of smoke.

So, ya'll think this is totaled? It's only a couple months old :(

Started the claim in the Tesla app but I was in a daze and didn't get all the photos I needed so I'll have to wait until Monday to get access to the car.

I REALLY hope it recorded it, I was stupid and didn't grab the drive before the tow truck drove off. Car completely lost all power too and even jumping it wouldn't work.
Glad your going to be ok. Not sure it’s totaled but one thing I think everyone should know or at least think about when going into a intersection is that you always check your left and never assume anyone is stopping. It’s the most dangerous point of that intersection for a driver. I’m not here to preach but it has come to my attention that many don’t think of this. If this was a huge truck you may not be here talking about this.

Reactions: dawnerd
I had something similar happen to me in my Model S early October. Crossing a 4 lane divided highway and got tboned by someone going 50+ mph. Luckily, hit accelerator when I saw him coming and he hit my back right passenger door and quarter panel. Sent me spinning but thank God neither he nor I got hurt (Aside from a minor concussion). All airbags deployed. I was extremely impressed with how the Model S held up in that type of crash. Like OP, car completely shutoff (electric cutoff) . Estimate of repair from insurance was 42k+. Battery was 20k. Totaled.

Just recently bought another one from Tesla :). Love the cars and, given how it held up in the crash, even more confidence in the safety of the car.

Thank your lucky stars everyone was okay with your incident. These things can happen so fast! Be safe all.

Reactions: Mwolfe
I had something similar happen to me in my Model S early October. Crossing a 4 lane divided highway and got tboned by someone going 50+ mph. Luckily, hit accelerator when I saw him coming and he hit my back right passenger door and quarter panel. Sent me spinning but thank God neither he nor I got hurt (Aside from a minor concussion). All airbags deployed. I was extremely impressed with how the Model S held up in that type of crash. Like OP, car completely shutoff (electric cutoff) . Estimate of repair from insurance was 42k+. Battery was 20k. Totaled.

Just recently bought another one from Tesla :). Love the cars and, given how it held up in the crash, even more confidence in the safety of the car.

Thank your lucky stars everyone was okay with your incident. These things can happen so fast! Be safe all.
Did your low voltage also cut out? They still haven't been able to get power on to open the trunk - still waiting to get my personal stuff out of the back. Haven't seen any other way to open it up, back seats wont go down so can't even try to use the emergency release.

Did your low voltage also cut out? They still haven't been able to get power on to open the trunk - still waiting to get my personal stuff out of the back. Haven't seen any other way to open it up, back seats wont go down so can't even try to use the emergency release.
Does this work for you? CR123A battery should be sufficient.

Yes, low voltage cut out as well. You need to manually pop frunk and jump the 12v battery. There are two pull cables inside each of the front two tire wheel wells (under plastic covers). Pull both of those, manually open the frunk by using screw driver to unlatch frunk above “T” logo, pull covers off to expose 12v battery and then jump. You will then be able to get inside and grab anything you need.

Hope this helps. If you still have issues, let me know and I can try and help further.

Yes, low voltage cut out as well. You need to manually pop frunk and jump the 12v battery. There are two pull cables inside each of the front two tire wheel wells (under plastic covers). Pull both of those, manually open the frunk by using screw driver to unlatch frunk above “T” logo, pull covers off to expose 12v battery and then jump. You will then be able to get inside and grab anything you need.

Hope this helps. If you still have issues, let me know and I can try and help further.
Thats what we tried (got the newer 16v battery in this S). Nothing. Best guess is something shorted out, low voltage worked a few minutes after the crash. Ah well.

We did that to get the frunk open but nothing else worked, even tried jumping directly, screen didn’t respond nor did anything else
Has the car been declared totaled? If you can pull the back seat manual cable under the seat, you can open the back door and flip down the seat, but without any power, you won't be able to open any doors unless you break the window and reach in which can be very messy. Perhaps charging the 16v for a day or hours can give enough juice to open the trunk. This is the downside of everything electronic in Tesla, the emergency guide listed all methods to open the door from the inside without power but no mention of the other way, in an odd case like this can be challenging.