Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got this email from Tesla regarding the new 19 inch wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car went into production on 3/1, I hope I get the new style wheels. I almost paid the $2500 extra to get the other 19 inch wheels, but spent the money for the 90D. I sent a email to my DS, hopefully he can help. They told me when I placed my order I would have a newer car a year from now than I bought, I hope I don't have a older style car when it arrives.

Not sure I prefer the old or the new. I "thought" as folks here pointed out that the older design would be easier to clean with less spokes. However, I'm hearing that's not the case.

My delivery is mid-April according to my DS. My Tesla is still showing the older tires and I have NOT received the email yet.

I'm kind of up in the air as to my opinion on which wheels I get. Originally I ordered an 85D with the old wheels - the new ones would be nice to go with my now upgraded 90D!

Is anyone upset about this? Does anyone prefer the look of the old base 19" wheels over the new ones?

I don't get upset. It isn't worth it. It may be due to this personality dysfunction of mine that I actually still like the looks of the ten spoke wheels I got on my original car 3+ years ago and then repeated on my new 90D.

I continue to find it interesting that I never hear anyone complaining about these little nit pick details when they go out to buy a Toyota or Subaru or BMW. The certain percentage will upgrade to some Rials or something, but that seems to be very rare. Everybody else just makes the major decision as to what color to get. I have some friends who just bought a new upper level car (turns out MB). I asked the wife what kind. She replied, "Silver". Wheels? Do we have wheels? Nobody gives an option, so nobody cares.

When I originally ordered I got the standard wheels, but when they introduced the 70D I immediately switched my order to it with the Cyclone wheels. Why? Cause I liked them better and my new configuration was actually cheaper than the previous configuration so I used that as an excuse to get the Cyclones. I vastly preferred the look of them, and it was a good middle road between the standard 19 and the 21 inch grey wheels (which I vastly prefer, but the roads are too crappy for them).

I'm kinda torn. On the one hand I liked the Cyclones because I wanted something different than most Teslas. So it's a bit of a bummer, but on the flip side it's closer to how I prefer to see a Tesla. It also effectively lowers the cost for someone who likes the looks of the cyclones, but doesn't want to spend an extra $2500 on them.

Hopefully Tesla replaces the cyclones with something that looks different. Maybe some cool 20inch wheels.