Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS drift after supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had this problem to a greater or lesser degree for years, and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. My car's GPS malfunctions after supercharging. It's not every time, and it's not at specific locations. What happens is that sometimes after a supercharging session when I'm on a trip (because that's the only time I supercharge), the GPS is basically pointed in slightly the wrong direction compared to what is happening in real life. For instance I hit the road eastbound but the GPS shows me moving slightly more southeast than I'm actually moving. So the GPS shows the car in the wrong place and it keeps drifting further and further away from where I actually am. It lasts anywhere from a few minutes to 30-40 minutes, or even more, before suddenly snapping back to where I actually am. At its worst, sometimes the depiction on the map gets gets so far away from where I actually am that my real location is not even visible on the map screen anymore.

When it's doing this, navigation is compromised or even useless, because it's depicting the car driving somewhere else, and giving directions based on that. Out on the highway it's off to the side in empty space where there aren't roads, giving directions/travel time/range estimates as if I'm on random side roads; in a city where there are a lot of streets, it creates false directions and constantly revises them, because my position is moving across the map without regard to actual streets.

I submitted numerous bug reports early on but eventually just gave up. Mostly when I've asked about it I get the excuse that there must be a GPS satellite issue, like there aren't enough overhead. But at my end there is at this point a very clear pattern that it happens after supercharging, but with random frequency. Rebooting the screen doesn't seem to have any effect.

I've had this problem to a greater or lesser degree for years, and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. My car's GPS malfunctions after supercharging. It's not every time, and it's not at specific locations. What happens is that sometimes after a supercharging session when I'm on a trip (because that's the only time I supercharge), the GPS is basically pointed in slightly the wrong direction compared to what is happening in real life.
I’ve not had this issue, but I might have an explanation for part of it. My understanding is that if the car is not getting good results from the GPS, it uses dead reckoning to compute where it is. This is normally useful when going through a tunnel or other locations where you cannot get good GPS coverage. So, my guess is that the car’s location on the map is being updated just based on the car’s estimate of how fast you are going and in which direction. The longer you go without good data from the GPS, the more off the location becomes.

So, why is the GPS flakey?

* The next time you supercharge, go into service mode Service Mode – TeslaTap and check the “Sensors” screen for the status of the GPS. Check both before and after supercharging.

* Also from service mode, check for alerts.

* I believe the GPS is connected to a USB bus. Disconnect all USB devices, including your dashcam thumb drive. See if that makes a difference.

* Do you have a toll transponder (e.g., Fastrak) that you use only on trips? Does it get installed near the front camera (which is where the GPS antenna is located)? Perhaps it is messing with the GPS signal. Try moving it away from the cameras.

* Ditto for a radar detector?

* Ditto for a cellphone charging pad?