Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random turns not on route

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the last few months I've experienced a strange behavior from FSD, when being used in city streets it will randomly get off the road and take whatever turn or exit is available at its current location, despite it not being on the route. It seems to always take the turn in the direction that an actual upcoming turn that is part of the route would be. It happens fairly consistently and always seems to be within a mile of the actual upcoming turn. It seems like it simply thinks it has arrived at the next turn despite not having done so, as if its location is wildly off. I am on the 2023.44.30.2 build currently and still experience this issue. Is it not actually FSD messing up and possibly something with my vehicles GPS? Wondering if anyone has experienced this before and has a fix or knows more about it.

I’ve encountered something similar with regular Navigate on Autopilot, when doing a road trip earlier this year. The navigation would suddenly think I needed to make a non-existent turn, but would recover within a few seconds. I was wondering what would have happened if I had actually been using FSD Beta at the time, I guess now I know.

I’ve encountered something similar with regular Navigate on Autopilot, when doing a road trip earlier this year. The navigation would suddenly think I needed to make a non-existent turn, but would recover within a few seconds. I was wondering what would have happened if I had actually been using FSD Beta at the time, I guess now I know.
What’s weird is the navigation never changes, like it’ll show the route still straight ahead and no changes. Usually I’ll disengage and correct the car but when I let it just do its thing FSD will just take whatever turn or exit it got into and just go where it goes, then the navigation reroutes and it follows the route again.

I‘ve encountered that issue once while using FSD Beta, where the car wanted to make a left turn even though the route was straight ahead (and in that case the route didn’t change). That isn’t a route I drive regularly, so I don’t know if my issue is repeatable. One of the reasons my wife won’t let me use FSD Beta when she’s in the car. 🙂

Sounds like a navigation/maps issue rather than FSD. Possibly GPS, but if the car icon on the map is accurate, then it's probably not that (and it's hard to imagine a GPS failure mechanism where it's close, but not quite right--it's either going to be dead on or not updating at all, unless maybe there is a lot of interference in the area, such as tunnels or tall buildings).

Anyway, my wife's Y just got a navigation maps update, so maybe whatever maps update that is will help your situation.

Sounds like a navigation/maps issue rather than FSD. Possibly GPS, but if the car icon on the map is accurate, then it's probably not that (and it's hard to imagine a GPS failure mechanism where it's close, but not quite right--it's either going to be dead on or not updating at all, unless maybe there is a lot of interference in the area, such as tunnels or tall buildings).

Anyway, my wife's Y just got a navigation maps update, so maybe whatever maps update that is will help your situation.
Yeah the car icon appears accurate on the map, but it’s sudden behavior change to start doing that makes me think some bug or failure related to the GPS.. it’s been doing it since September and I’m on the current maps update

After further testing today it’ll make the same wrong turn and exit on the same route 1.3 miles off. Is there an away to reset or recalibrate the GPS? It has to be an issue related to that and the vehicle thinking it’s in a completely different position

The GPS does feel less accurate. I visit the park in the photo below. It has a pathway underneath the Interstate. I enter and park on the far left side of the pic.

Arriving is fine. I'll use autosteer just as an extra precaution looking for pedestrians (which are frequent) while driving the 15 MPH park road.

I used to do the same when I left. Now when leaving it thinks I'm on the Interstate. That includes setting the speed limit to 65 MPH on that park road.

Car properly shows as being in the parking lot on the map.

1000009253.jpg

For the last few months I've experienced a strange behavior from FSD, when being used in city streets it will randomly get off the road and take whatever turn or exit is available at its current location, despite it not being on the route. It seems to always take the turn in the direction that an actual upcoming turn that is part of the route would be. It happens fairly consistently and always seems to be within a mile of the actual upcoming turn. It seems like it simply thinks it has arrived at the next turn despite not having done so, as if its location is wildly off. I am on the 2023.44.30.2 build currently and still experience this issue. Is it not actually FSD messing up and possibly something with my vehicles GPS? Wondering if anyone has experienced this before and has a fix or knows more about it.
I have experienced this twice in the last two days since FSD 12.3 was installed in my car. It’s really dangerous! Once it was on city street. The second time it was on a freeway. Now I’m getting scared to engage FSD.