Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS on the fritz...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went out to the garage a few minutes ago to get something out of my car and looked at the screen and it showed my car, not in my garage, but rather in a field about a mile and a half away. I opened my tesla app and it too is showing the car in a field a mile and a half away. I gave it a reboot, i.e., press both nipples, hit brake, and then powered down, waited 3 minutes and then opened the door, and it's still showing me car in a filed. I also rebooted my phone, just in case it was somehow affecting the GPS location of the tesla. Still in a filed. So I plugged it in and started the charge cycle. It's charging and shows it charging, but still shows it in a field.

Is there a way to reset or reboot the GPS?

The blue dot in the below is my house and where the Tesla is physically located and the red arrow is where it says my car is located.

GPS error.jpg

Field.jpg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki
Uh, drive the car? GPS only updates when it moves. Sometimes it looses track when staying still. This has been the case since GPS was developed and in those old GPS nav units and your phone.
Uhh, no. It’s possible that Tesla ignores GPS once the car is parked (they probably power it down to reduce vampire losses), but that’s a Tesla decision and has nothing to do with GPS technology. You probably got a bad position report just before Tesla shut down the GPS, and it’ll stay stuck until Tesla starts listening to the GPS again.