Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS showing wrong location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Boourns

Mar 9, 2016
Dallas
I saw a couple other people have had this problem, but I have not seen a solution. Today for about 40 minutes my 3 was showing its location incorrectly. It started just a little off and got worse as I drove, likely because it thought I was driving in a slightly different direction than I was.

Here's a pic. I was actually travelling north on the road indicated, not off to the east as displayed:

6tHXaVK.jpg

The real bummer was it thought I was on side roads, so it was limiting autosteer to 45 mph. Right before I got home about 40 minutes later it just fixed itself. Multiple scroll reboots didn't help. Has anyone figured out how to fix this? This was the first time this has happened. I am on 2018.21.9 still.

Unlike what everyone seems to believe, civilian GPS signals aren't perfect and can indeed vary at time significant distances. I remember one of my hiking GPSs that I would leave on overnight. I'd come back in the morning and see that it went out on its own, sometimes a mile away.

Street GPS implements a pinning algorithm in which it looks for the closest road that it thinks that you are on. This is really obvious in cities with lots of parallel streets and tall buildings that tend to block a lot of satellites (i.e. NYC) In this case, it just seemed that the GPS signal may be a little off and that it pinned you to the wrong road.

I'd guess that it probably won't happen again.

I noticed this GPS issue when Home Link wouldn't work to automatically close the garage door. I looked at the zoomed in view of the satellite image of my location to find my car located a house away from me. This happened in the morning after my car sat all night. I guess while it was in my garage it lost its lock on enough satellites to locate my car accurately.

I've been fighting with this same issue for months now. Started in October after the 9.0 update (that might be just a coincidence).

I don't think it's a civilian GPS issue. My GPS was super accurate for years and then out of nowhere, the arrow started being stationary for days even while driving and will veer off road and follow my driving in general but gets further and further away from actual location. On long trips I have seen it dozens of miles away (in adjacent states).

So far they have: Wiped out the address cache, reset car to factory, formatted SD card and re-pushed updates, replaced the gyro connectivity board.

Lately it's been happening less, but it still goes off course or sits stationary while driving.

I put this in another thread, but my last interaction with the service center they told me: Well your car is out of warranty. We don't know what's causing this. We don't know how to diagnose this any further. And we don't want to be on the hook for replacing something that might not fix it. So you can't say "fix my gps" because the parts we want to try are expensive and we won't be responsible for the cost if we don't fix the problem. So you have to tell us what you want replaced. And we will replace it and if it fixes your GPS, great, if not you have to pay for that because you said you wanted that part replaced.

So hoping to try to find some possible solutions and further debugging info. Been on the phone and emailing the main support group as well.

I've been fighting with this same issue for months now. Started in October after the 9.0 update (that might be just a coincidence).

I don't think it's a civilian GPS issue. My GPS was super accurate for years and then out of nowhere, the arrow started being stationary for days even while driving and will veer off road and follow my driving in general but gets further and further away from actual location. On long trips I have seen it dozens of miles away (in adjacent states).

So far they have: Wiped out the address cache, reset car to factory, formatted SD card and re-pushed updates, replaced the gyro connectivity board.

Lately it's been happening less, but it still goes off course or sits stationary while driving.

I put this in another thread, but my last interaction with the service center they told me: Well your car is out of warranty. We don't know what's causing this. We don't know how to diagnose this any further. And we don't want to be on the hook for replacing something that might not fix it. So you can't say "fix my gps" because the parts we want to try are expensive and we won't be responsible for the cost if we don't fix the problem. So you have to tell us what you want replaced. And we will replace it and if it fixes your GPS, great, if not you have to pay for that because you said you wanted that part replaced.

So hoping to try to find some possible solutions and further debugging info. Been on the phone and emailing the main support group as well.

This worries me as I have many issues with my Tesla and it feels like the service centre are just putting the repairs off until Im out of warranty.

In all fairness they have been pretty good about complaining of an issue before the warranty and then fixing it for free out of warranty. I had a number of issues I called and complained about and they took care of everything (some took multiple visits) still under warranty.

I took it to another service center to have different techs look at my issue. They said that the gyro board was the problem. They disabled it and it is working. The problem is that it was working when they scheduled me to come in. It's an intermittent problem. The last time I was in for tires, it was happening the instant that it was there, but they didn't have time to look then.

Anyway, they said "it's the gyro board was bad so we disabled it and that fixed the problem" and I got to ask "but I just paid for a new gyro board and that didn't fix it the last time" so they are going to keep it a bit longer to test.

For my particular situation, the phone GPS is always perfect (google maps, waze and apple maps). The car's GPS is the one that's off. I have been using the phone more and more because it's reliable and the car's is not.

In all fairness they have been pretty good about complaining of an issue before the warranty and then fixing it for free out of warranty. I had a number of issues I called and complained about and they took care of everything (some took multiple visits) still under warranty.

I took it to another service center to have different techs look at my issue. They said that the gyro board was the problem. They disabled it and it is working. The problem is that it was working when they scheduled me to come in. It's an intermittent problem. The last time I was in for tires, it was happening the instant that it was there, but they didn't have time to look then.

Anyway, they said "it's the gyro board was bad so we disabled it and that fixed the problem" and I got to ask "but I just paid for a new gyro board and that didn't fix it the last time" so they are going to keep it a bit longer to test.
What car are you talking about? A Model S? Remember, this is the Model 3 section of the forum.