Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grammar Misteaks, Spelling Misteaks, and Bad Puns :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Axel

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

37px-Wiktionary-logo-en.svg.png
Look up axel or Axel in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
Axel may refer to:

See also

30px-Disambig_gray.svg.png

Sorry Bonnie, but spelling matters.
It is one thing to misspell a word in a way that does not cause it to be misinterpreted as meaning something completely different. For example, typing "requiremeant" when it should be "requirement". There is no such word as "requiremeant" and the intent of the writer is clear.
However, when one types "axel" instead of "axle", those are two different words with two very different meanings.
Now in this instance I willingly concede that the posted photo illustrates an "axle" and not a "skater doing a spin by rapidly rotating along the vertical axis of the body". [emoji3]
But proper spelling still matters.

Sorry Bonnie, but spelling matters.
It is one thing to misspell a word in a way that does not cause it to be misinterpreted as meaning something completely different. For example, typing "requiremeant" when it should be "requirement". There is no such word as "requiremeant" and the intent of the writer is clear.
However, when one types "axel" instead of "axle", those are two different words with two very different meanings.
Now in this instance I willingly concede that the posted photo illustrates an "axle" and not a "skater doing a spin by rapidly rotating along the vertical axis of the body". [emoji3]
But proper spelling still matters.
Meh....too sum it duz.

I went to school in the '60s. From first through ninth grade we had spelling tests, vocabulary tests and grammar/punctuation tests almost weekly. We had periodic lessons on homophones, starting with the easy stuff like your and you're and then graduating to council and counsel or affect and effect. In junior high school, much of our English final was on usage, spelling and correct grammar. A poor score on the final might require the student to attend a four-week remedial course during the summer. And this was the public school curriculum, not a private or parochial school.

Since good speaking, spelling and writing skills were emphasized during my formative years, I have carried this torch throughout my life. I still hate it when an infinitive is split even though there is no logical reason in English not to split it. It just sounds awkward, and it grates upon my ears.

Reactions: Ciaopec
Well, I guess we all have our issues. The noises a lot of people make when they're eating really bothers me, but I have a enough common decency to refrain from making a comment about it.

We are just communicating about cars and what not. So what if someone spells brakes, breaks, etc. We still understand what they are trying to communicate. And for the most part even question marks are unnecessary. We still know 90% of the time a question is being asked without the proper punctuation.

Well, I guess we all have our issues. The noises a lot of people make when they're eating really bothers me, but I have a enough common decency to refrain from making a comment about it.

We are just communicating about cars and what not. So what if someone spells brakes, breaks, etc. We still understand what they are trying to communicate. And for the most part even question marks are unnecessary. We still know 90% of the time a question is being asked without the proper punctuation.
Clearly this is not your thred than.

Ok. I WAS making fun of situation.

I fundamentally disagree that it's OK. Not taking the time to spell and punctuate reflects on the person. And, in this forum where written word is all we have to go on, anyone who is too lazy to spell or punctuate starts out with two strikes against in my book. I'm not going to give marks on spelling or grammar, but not even trying is obvious.

I've watched this de-evolution of society in many dimensions. Business dress became business casual became slob. And who cares, right? We are all in software or something. With email, text, and social media, spelling and grammar have become optional. Because, of course, it's only about cars or something. Excuses to be lazy!!!

End of rant!