Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Great Aussie EV Road trips - Live to drive - Drive to Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Themselves an awful lot of stops for charging, will be interesting what tesla route guidance stops for charging are. I am planning a simple adelaide to melbourne trip next week. Excited to take tesla on its first long haul. Will decide if I get rid of my ice vehicle for another ev if all goes smoothly. I am hoping a car maker brings out a small 4wd ev

Reactions: dronus
Starting to plan a bit of a road trip to burn up some leave and get some time out on the open road.

Current plan is Adelaide - Mount Gambier - Warnambool - Melbourne, Lakes Entrance, Batesmans Bay, Canberra, Sydney.

As much as id like to go up to QLD i might just fly up there at another time.

Coming back via Albury and Bendigo and the normal Mallee highway.

So far about 4000km round trip. Just looking into where to stay and things to do, but im also happy to just wing it and stay and do whatever happens while im there.. Im not sure ill use ABRP for the planning tho as the car cannot swim...
View attachment 1060446
Enjoy the trip, that's a great drive. You will have plenty to see on the way. Enjoy the swim in the ocean at Mt Gambier. When are you going?

Themselves an awful lot of stops for charging, will be interesting what tesla route guidance stops for charging are. I am planning a simple adelaide to melbourne trip next week. Excited to take tesla on its first long haul. Will decide if I get rid of my ice vehicle for another ev if all goes smoothly. I am hoping a car maker brings out a small 4wd ev
It’s fine but you have to watch out over school holidays/peak periods (plan extra time for charging or drive overnight). Christmas gets pretty wild.

We’re buying another Tesla next year, probably a Y. Amazing car for the price.

Yeah its only a couple of stops for charging to Melbourne, i think Keith, Horsham, Maybe Ballarat, i cant remember. Im a ABRP n00b so not sure what it was doing, ill have to edumacate myself :)
I did Adelaide - Albury area within a week or so of having the car. I thought my previous Calais was comfy, the M3H is awesome. I was by myself (well i had the dog) and not once did i get that feeling you get after a few hours of driving where you want to get out of the car.. i did though, just to break up the drive.

Reactions: Jules22
Enjoy the trip, that's a great drive. You will have plenty to see on the way. Enjoy the swim in the ocean at Mt Gambier. When are you going?
I'm just doing the planning now. I am not very good at planning trips and prefer to just take life as it comes day by day so ill probably settle on a broad concept of places to go and see what happens.

I once did a trip where i just stopped in every town along the way from Adelaide to Wodonga which had a skate ramp and dropped in. When i got tired i just found a hotel to stay at. Met a lot of interesting people, saw some really cool country towns in VIC/NSW, spent money in small communities and donated to local charities etc. It was a really wholesome trip on so many levels.
When am i going? Hmm definitely not school holidays or public holidays etc., i don't enjoy the rush of competing with others Hunger Games style on the Highways.

Not fussed if its winter like this, it's always 21.5 degrees in the Model 3 :)

Last edited:
Remember to look for the slider that tells ABRP to plan more or fewer stops, and set your minimum SoC to something reasonable like 10%. One of my people had it at 40% "to be safe" and their route planning was horrific.
Yeah and for some reason its only showing Tesla chargers, which isnt a big deal but im sure there is a toggle somewhere to show other chargers. Or i look at plugshare to see whats around.
Ahh yes, mine was set to 20%

I have traveled in EVs a great deal around Oz and US; one simple rule keep the range miles reading greater than the miles to go on the nav and you can't go wrong. The best help for that is the Tesla route planning.
Yeah, I used ABRP for my very first trip, but really don't bother now.

I would if I was going way off the beaten track and knew I'd be using non-Tesla chargers, but anything other than that, it's just get in and drive, let the car worry about the details.

I have traveled in EVs a great deal around Oz and US; one simple rule keep the range miles reading greater than the miles to go on the nav and you can't go wrong. The best help for that is the Tesla route planning.

Yeah, I used ABRP for my very first trip, but really don't bother now.

I would if I was going way off the beaten track and knew I'd be using non-Tesla chargers, but anything other than that, it's just get in and drive, let the car worry about the details.

Thanks for the advice, i think ill do the same for this trip then as far as the "planning" goes ill use the tesla trip planning, but keep the other sites in mind for a Plan B if required... back to the maps :)

Tesla route planning is useless out near the edges of the Supercharger network and beyond. That includes the majority of Queensland. Being fluent in ABRP and Plugshare is really useful.

Yeah and for some reason its only showing Tesla chargers, which isnt a big deal but im sure there is a toggle somewhere to show other chargers. Or i look at plugshare to see whats around.

If you use the Nav to find a charger (i.e. hit the “Charging” tab after tapping the Nav box) then there are 1 or 3 lightning bolts at the top to select minimum charger speed. 1 bolt is everything including AC, 3 bolts is DC above 70 kW, which of course includes all Superchargers but not all other DC chargers (i.e. every 25 or 50 kW charger).

I think that delineation is pretty rubbish, actually. They should have 1, 2 and 3 bolts. With 1 bolt being AC only, 2 bolts all DC, and 3 bolts DC above 150 kW + all Tesla SC.

Also Tesla only lists chargers that meet its somewhat arbitrary rules. I have seen it list a BP Pulse at a highway service centre in one direction, but not the other 🤷‍♂️. It’s also not smart enough to filter what it shows based on your direction of travel, and will happily show you chargers 50 km back from where you came, even when there’s plenty in the direction you are heading 🙄

Off the beaten track ABRP is OK, but really off the beaten track and it will give up, even though a route might be possible with manual planning.

I find the slider from “few but long stops” to “short but many stops” produces wildly different results just one slider position left or right, e.g. my recent drive to Brisbane with “quickest arrival” shows only 2 stops. One slider position right and suddenly it becomes 7 stops. WTH? In the other direction, it remains 2 stops.

It was quite a lot of effort to get ABRP to plan a route with 3 stops and 4 stops which provided more even segment durations and nothing over 3 hours. I had to repeatedly tell it to exclude stops and chargers until it converged on a solution that worked for me. So it would be much better if you could specify a maximum leg length in hours (e.g. no leg to be more than 3 hours or shorter than 90 minutes) or a desired number of stops (e.g. I want to stop to charge 3 times) to align with intended breaks.

Tesla route planning is useless out near the edges of the Supercharger network and beyond. That includes the majority of Queensland. Being fluent in ABRP and Plugshare is really useful.
I've never used ABRP but Plugshare is an absolute requirement. When I first got my Tesla, there was only one Supercharger in the whole of Oz and that was a thousand km from home. Plugshare to the rescue.

If you use the Nav to find a charger (i.e. hit the “Charging” tab after tapping the Nav box) then there are 1 or 3 lightning bolts at the top to select minimum charger speed. 1 bolt is everything including AC, 3 bolts is DC above 70 kW, which of course includes all Superchargers but not all other DC chargers (i.e. every 25 or 50 kW charger).

I think that delineation is pretty rubbish, actually. They should have 1, 2 and 3 bolts. With 1 bolt being AC only, 2 bolts all DC, and 3 bolts DC above 150 kW + all Tesla SC.

Also Tesla only lists chargers that meet its somewhat arbitrary rules. I have seen it list a BP Pulse at a highway service centre in one direction, but not the other 🤷‍♂️. It’s also not smart enough to filter what it shows based on your direction of travel, and will happily show you chargers 50 km back from where you came, even when there’s plenty in the direction you are heading 🙄
Ohh Thanks for that, i didnt have CCS ticked, only Tesla CCS and Tesla SC.

Its given me a few more options for routes now but to use an alternate route it is going to rely on a few smaller 1-2 stall chargers in country towns with not much in between.

Selecting the CCS option gave me the RAA and other sites too which is interesting.

Just checked the last run to Albury i planned with Tesla to compare to ABRP and interestingly ABRP says i should go ADL - Bordertown(200kw RAA) - Horsham(350kw NRMA) - Shepparton(250kw Telsa) - Albury(Tesla)

Whereas the Tesla planner had me go ADL - Keith(120kw Tesla) - Horsham(250kw Tesla) - Bendigo(120kw Tesla) - Wodonga(120kw Tesla) - Albury

Much of a much I suppose. Except those NRMA and RAA chargers might be clogged with BYD Seals haha.

Reactions: Vostok and Jules22