Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Great Aussie EV Road trips - Live to drive - Drive to Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The other thing is, you haven’t been on a real road trip until you get this message in your car:

IMG_E4196.jpeg

The other thing is, you haven’t been on a real road trip until you get this message in your car:

View attachment 1060794
I see that all the time except not with the word "Almost" in it. :D.

Think we might pop down to Ayers Rock next weekend so we can try the charger @ Erldunda and catch up with friends in Alice. For planning I will use ABRP, but I do have to tell it how much I can charge @ each beer fridge stop. Interestingly ABRP does show a couple of slow DC charging places on the route that simply do not exist.

I will get some updated photos of the NRMA progress at sites like Mataranka & hopefully the 3 ways and add them to Plugshare. Also Barrow Creek now shows 30Kw DC with new photo's on plugshare today. So cant wait, 4000k with DC charging @ Katherine, (Barrow Creek hopefully) Alice & Erldunda.

I've never used ABRP but Plugshare is an absolute requirement. When I first got my Tesla, there was only one Supercharger in the whole of Oz and that was a thousand km from home. Plugshare to the rescue.
The Star City Supercharger was rubbish anyway. You had to ask Valet parking for access, so you always felt you were imposing on them by not paying the Valet charge. Plus the tight turns were a kerb rash nightmare. So you didn’t miss much.

Reactions: Vostok
Does Tesla/Plugshare show Tesla only SC sites? Heard/read too many stories about crowded SCs during peak times, specifically about other EVs taking forever to charge.

Plugshare shows everything, including sites that don’t exist or are misplaced (it’s a crowd sourced database), and AC/slow charging sites or sites that aren’t built yet (although you can filter those out).

Tesla Nav shows all SC sites plus a subset of third party sites that meet its listing requirements. You’ll see most Evie, NRMA, BP Pulse etc sites there but it is a bit hit-and-miss. Tesla Nav will show how many stalls are free at all SC sites (or a clock if there is waiting) but it doesn’t have that information for the third party sites (you need to separately look at their apps, or Plugshare if the other networks feed their occupancy data to it).

The other thing to note is that third party sites are often only 1 or 2 stalls, greatly increasing the likelihood all are in use when you arrive (Erlang queuing theory and all that).

Generally Tesla SC sites don’t have loiterers due to Tesla’s idle fees. However Tesla SC sites open to other EVs can suffer from EVs that can’t charge very fast (e.g. might have a limit of 120 kW or lower) but note that Tesla does not open its busiest SC sites (mostly on major highways) to other EVs. They remain Tesla only.

Only the more out of the way SCs are open to all, or the ones that have been government subsidised but those usually have way more stalls (e.g. Raymond Terrace and Taree both have 12 stalls).

For your first interstate trip, I suggest you stick to Tesla SC sites, with the others as a backup only. It will make your life simpler.

Enjoy your trip!

Plugshare shows everything, including sites that don’t exist or are misplaced (it’s a crowd sourced database), and AC/slow charging sites or sites that aren’t built yet (although you can filter those out).

Tesla Nav shows all SC sites plus a subset of third party sites that meet its listing requirements. You’ll see most Evie, NRMA, BP Pulse etc sites there but it is a bit hit-and-miss. Tesla Nav will show how many stalls are free at all SC sites (or a clock if there is waiting) but it doesn’t have that information for the third party sites (you need to separately look at their apps, or Plugshare if the other networks feed their occupancy data to it).

The other thing to note is that third party sites are often only 1 or 2 stalls, greatly increasing the likelihood all are in use when you arrive (Erlang queuing theory and all that).

Generally Tesla SC sites don’t have loiterers due to Tesla’s idle fees. However Tesla SC sites open to other EVs can suffer from EVs that can’t charge very fast (e.g. might have a limit of 120 kW or lower) but note that Tesla does not open its busiest SC sites (mostly on major highways) to other EVs. They remain Tesla only.

Only the more out of the way SCs are open to all, or the ones that have been government subsidised but those usually have way more stalls (e.g. Raymond Terrace and Taree both have 12 stalls).

For your first interstate trip, I suggest you stick to Tesla SC sites, with the others as a backup only. It will make your life simpler.

Enjoy your trip!
Awesome information, Thank You 🙏👍

Reactions: Vostok