Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Great Latest Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Excaliber

Supporting Member
Jul 18, 2023
Buffalo
So I bought an extended warranty for my 21 Plaid to extend it to 2027 and/or 75k miles.
A week later Tesla gave me a complimentary 1 month free FSD subscription through a software update.
The car has FSD built in but it's not something I would use.
I only drive 15 minutes at a time on familiar roads and have zero interest in self driving.
However after the update installed v11.1 2024.3.10 the cluster display was greatly improved.

Shows the roads in black with yellow lines and grey where grass would be.
The traffic lights are also bigger .

I'm more pleased with this improvement than the month of FSD which I will never use.

Reactions: fholbert
What you show indicate what I think are the FSD driving visualization. You might want to go in and turn off FSD, switching back to either base autopilot or EAP, and see if you see any changes in the dash driving visualization.

There was update in 2024.2.13 which improved the driving visualizations for EAP, but not necessarily all the same capability as FSD. I think if you turn off FSD you may see that in your direction of travel it's pretty similar, but my memory is you won't see the lane visualizations on the other side of the road.

Tesla is doing a one month free FSD. He gets this for one month, then it will be removed. Folks that bought monthly FSD will get one month free.
I fully understand that there is a one month free FSD trial underway (I also have it). But I still believe if you go into the autopilot settings and turn off FSD, so revert back to just EAP or base autopilot, then you will likely see the visualizations adjust to the level of autopilot capability you have enabled. That's my memory of what I saw when I had just EAP enabled before I enabled the FSD trial earlier this week.

So I bought an extended warranty for my 21 Plaid to extend it to 2027 and/or 75k miles.
A week later Tesla gave me a complimentary 1 month free FSD subscription through a software update.
I only drive 15 minutes at a time on familiar roads and have zero interest in self driving.
However after the update installed v11.1 2024.3.10 the cluster display was greatly improved.

I'm more pleased with this improvement than the month of FSD which I will never use.
I really like the improved graphics too, saw a cat run in front of my car yesterday.

If we don't subscribe to FSD, do we still keep the better graphics?

It should be the same as you had before the FSD trial was added. Maybe they will enhance the display, but I doubt it will be the same. The representations in the display change their appearance / color / shade as their importance changes, and provides a display of what FSD is seeing. That info wouldn't be important without FSD.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I really like the improved graphics too, saw a cat run in front of my car yesterday.

If we don't subscribe to FSD, do we still keep the better graphics?
I turned FSD off and the graphics went back to what they were before.
I'd pay 10.00 a month for the better graphics but not 200.00 since I'll never use FSD since I enjoy driving the car and don't need a Nanny.

Reactions: fholbert
Tesla is doing a one month free FSD. He gets this for one month, then it will be removed. Folks that bought monthly FSD will get one month free. I believe this is only for FSD 12.x capable cars, i.e., 2021+.
I hadn't read that, but maybe that's why I still haven't received an email about the trial. Now it really makes me wish I'd stayed on the version before the extra nags showed up. The new naggy version is such trash. I cannot even take my hand off the wheel to adjust the wipers, or switch hands holding the wheel without it nagging me.

If you currently are using the FSD trial you can simply go into the Autopilot settings and switch back from FSD to autopilot or steering assist (beta). You will immediately see the driving visualizations switch to what you'd have without FSD. Doing this does not end or reset your trial and you can simply go back into autopilot setting and reselect FSD.

I do find that the visualizations now with FSD turned off show more detail than they had. I saw this show up when I received 2024.2.13 software update a couple weeks ago where the release notes included improved driving visualizations. For me, this software update was separate from 2024.3.6 which is what brought with it the FSD trial and FSD Beta version v12.3.2.1.

I will say that the visualizations with FSD turned off are not as colorful, but since 2024.2.13 update do show me more detail in terms of cars crossing at intersections or coming in from connecting roads on the side, similar visualizations to pedestrians or cyclists, and even an increased detail or road markings, such as the stenciled graphic of a bicycle that's painted in the right lane of a local road frequently drive. It does now show as much detail for the adjoining lanes on the opposite of the road like FSD, but does have more detail for me than a month ago.

For those saying they have not received the FSD email, I had it show up immediately after installation of 2024.3.6 software update was complete. I did not have any indication of the FSD trial while that software update was pending download or awaiting install, but it literally showed in both my app as well as email received immediately when the update installation completed.

This is so confusing because my car is a 22 so same sensors as yours but I’m on 2024.8.4 and haven’t gotten the free month of FSD 😭

This seems like a colossal waste of money, considering you shouldn't be looking at your display for extended periods while driving.
Hmm - why would I be looking at my display for extended periods of driving? It is no different than looking at the speed limit or the turn signal video that shows up in drivers infotainment area or to change the media or look at Nav. Do you look at those for extended periods of driving?

And not a colossal waste of money for me. People are all different and everyone likes different things. 🙂

Reactions: Yelobird
Hmm - why would I be looking at my display for extended periods of driving? It is no different than looking at the speed limit or the turn signal video that shows up in drivers infotainment area or to change the media or look at Nav. Do you look at those for extended periods of driving?

And not a colossal waste of money for me. People are all different and everyone likes different things. 🙂
The graphics are pretty cool and some people spend 2500.00 a year or more on weed, drugs, booze, dining, travel clothes etc.
Life is choices.
Although I could easily afford it I'd spend 300.00 a year just for the graphics without FSD but not 2500.00
The car probably has to have FSD installed to have the graphics.
Tesla could make some free money if they made the graphics available without FSD but that's their choice.

I don't. That's why I wouldn't spend money on graphical updates to my center screen.

I'm not saying people shouldn't spend money for just that, only that I wouldn't. To each their own, as they say.

How much was the extended warranty?
It was 3100.00 plus tax for 2 years and/or 25,000 miles.
So now I'm covered until October 2027 and or 75,000 miles.
I bought the Plaid used with 16k miles from Carmax in August 2023.
It had the Tesla 4 year 59k mile warranty.
At the time Tesla was not offering an extended warranty.
I had bought a Carmax MaxCare extended warranty which was 3100.00 with a 300.00 deductible.
I checked in March and then Tesla was offering the extended warranty.
Since as I found out only Tesla can work on their cars but none of the Carmax associates can
I canceled MaxCare and used the 3k towards the Tesla extended warranty which has no deductible.
So after the Carmax warranty cancellation prorating after 5 months it cost my 250.00 for Tesla.
Now Tesla has opened a service center 5 minutes from my work in Buffalo
plus they have their mobile service so I'm set.
I haven't had any issues other than when Safelite replaced the driver door window that was chipped
that Carmax said they would take care of and damaged
the wiring harness.
The power door opener button stopped working after Safelite installed the new door glass.
Nobody knew how to fix it so I called Tesla Mobile Service.
At the time the nearest Tesla Service Center was 60 miles away in Rochester and I didn't want to
spend a day going to get it fixed.
The appointment was 10 days.
The Tesla mobile guy used his discretion and replaced the harness at no charge despite it not
being Tesla's fault so that was great as I doubt a Service Center would have done that.
I gave him some fairly new top end subs and amps I wasn't using and he was very pleased with that.
I didn't see using the subs and amps left over from my totaled Jeep Trackhawk as they were too powerful
to use in the Tesla or my BMW EV.
A 250 amp 3200 watt amplifier is just too much for the EV 12 volt systems.
I used some 80 amp 1000 watt amps which are still pretty awesome.
So it looks like I got a good 2 year old Tesla Plaid with a clean repair history and hopefully I won't have
any need of repairs.
But I'm glad to be covered by Tesla.

Also now Tesla is offering FSD for 99.00 a month.
Tempting

Last edited: