Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Greedy electricians - gotta pay them or keep looking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think he was assuming I would be able to install the wall charger from the outlet, but he would have had to install the 60A circuit, wiring and breaker.

In my case, the electrician who did the work never pulled a permit, so not sure if in now have a liability when I go to sell it, or if no one will ask if I had it permitted.

Liability is on him and your insurance company will go after him. But no one is going to ask. If there is a blatant issue it will come up when you sell your house with the buyers inspection.

Reactions: HighZ
YES! Do a little investigating, maybe learn a few things, and DO IT yourself (with help if need be). Don't complain spending many hundreds of dollars if you're too ......... to save a little. I'm afraid to fill in the blank.

And as a bonus, what you learn will often translate to other savings for other projects!
Agreed. Part of doing a 14-50 install included sheetrock and texture work; both of which I hadn't done before. I'm now more willing to take on such projects. :D

Something I learned a long time ago: try to learn and do something yourself. Worse case scenario, you still have to pay someone to do it.

Agreed. Part of doing a 14-50 install included sheetrock and texture work; both of which I hadn't done before. I'm now more willing to take on such projects. :D

Something I learned a long time ago: try to learn and do something yourself. Worse case scenario, you still have to pay someone to do it.

Or you kill yourself or someone else.... two more possibilities when messing around with mains voltage.

• Disagree
Reactions: vickh
This is interesting. I get told the same when I asked homeowners about permits, most say they just do it. I asked what happens when it comes time to sell the house. Reply was that no one would check that.

After filing my permit, I checked and noticed that there were no other permits on my address, meaning the backyard landscaping job I paid for years ago was never permitted, at lest there was nothing on file that I could see.

Di you think that most buyers look at every possible modification on a house and check for permits? Literally every little thing such as a new cieling fan, the addition of stepping stones for a garden path, the addition of a deck etc. requires permits. Most every house over 10 years old has unpermitted changes.

Reactions: Jeff Davlt
I could never be an electrician because although I have done a lot of my own wiring and repairs over the years I still can’t figure out how 4-way switches work.

All you gotta know is two pairs of wires go on the same color screws, and two pairs go on the other color screws...

more specifically, they cross connect the traveler legs of the three way switch.

red — red
black — red

becomes

red — black
Black — red

when the 4 way is switched.

• Disagree
Reactions: vickh
I don't think the pricing in this thread is that crazy depending on pull lengths. Romex 6/3 is 220 for 125 ft right now on home depot. Add in the 80 dollar 14-40 outlet, 10 dollar switch and some conduit and boxes and 500 parts and labor isn't half bad. No ideas if those permit fees are accurate. You'd have to check with the local authority.

I got many quotes ranging from over $2500 to $2000 to under $1000. My specific situation required a 30 ft trench run from my house to my detached garaged and that was without the trench dig. I thought most of these prices were outrageous until i decided i'd dig the trench with a pickaxe into frozen midwest soil.

I found an electrician who'd run the line if I dug the trench and the real work was not the wiring, but the actual bending of the pipe. Running a 220 line is not hard for a electrician but bending pipe etc was real work. The guy was here about 6 hours.

I don't begrudge what he charged and quite frankly, i would have paid a bit more. He did a very good job. Part of owning an EV is getting that line run..cost of being in the game.

• Informative
Reactions: eevee-fan
Okay, plenty of discussion here on pricing. I'd like to ask OP about something else. You mention the choices as 6-20 and 14-30. If you're going to install new stuff anyway, why not go for 14-50? Or 6-50? Then you could use the full capacity of the UMC that comes with the car (32A). I'm just saying you might as well get the most for your money.

I acknowledge there could be an advantage of going with 6-20 if there were existing 12-gauge wiring you could use, as others mentioned upthread.

• Helpful
Reactions: eevee-fan
You mean you decided not to have the electrician pull the permit because you didnt want to pay for it? Or, are you saying your electrician never offered to get a permit for you, for an additional fee?

His quote said: All applicable permits and village fees must be paid by owner/General Contractor and will be added to final invoice.

I just assumed he would have gotten a permit if it needed one. He never asked for
more money and I never thought to ask until I read about permits on this forum.