Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green Car Reports Article

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found this article which I haven't seen discussed, so thought I'd drop it here:

Tesla Model 3: speculating on versions, batteries, prices, power

I know it is total speculation, but what else do we have to do until reveal part 2?

It references an 8-month old article from Seeking Alpha. I'm not registered, and won't just to read a 15 page click-baity article. (I hate, hate, hate mulit-page articles, let alone 15 pages.) Here's the part I found interesting:
"Author Randy Carlson predicts three versions of the Model 3.

• 344: Entry-level, single-motor, rear-wheel drive version, with a base price of $35,000, EPA range of 220 miles from a 44-kWh battery, and 0-to-60-mph time of 5.6 seconds
  • 366D: Dual-motor AWD standard version with an EPA range of 320 miles from a 66-kWh battery. 0-60 time 4.7 seconds, price $44,000
  • P366D: 340-hp performance version with dual motors, AWD, a 300-mile EPA range, and 0-to-60 time of 3.1 seconds; priced with leather and a luxury interior at $60,000"
that 366D is exactly the 2 options I was thinking of getting, and just ever so slightly over what I'm hoping it costs. (I'm hoping $42k) And while I doubt 320 miles on a charge, it would make me :). Do I NEED AWD? Not really, but nice to have in winter when we get some ice or snow. Do I NEED 0-60 in 4.7? No, but again :).

44KWh for 220 miles EPA(as well as all the others), is crackpot theory territory.

There is nothing in there worth discussing, unless we want to laugh at how silly and out to lunch it is.

Yeah I am not an expert/math nerd, but based on the Extrapolation of Rage/Battery Size thread, a 44kWh battery for 220 miles seems . . . optimistic at best.

I think that estimate is one that is cost-based, rather than range-based. I'm guessing the person that came up with it just assumed that Tesla would make batteries at the current (or past) cost per Wh and then determined that 44kWh was the only amount they could still make a profit at.

green car reports is hardly a credible source of info, I think of them as the onion of EV sites
I consider GreenCarReports to be pretty good. The large majority of the articles are written by reasonably informed writers including John Voelcker. Of course, the usual minor errors get into articles sometimes. There are a lot of car models and a lot of details and its changing all of the time.

This article was originally written about a year ago by a semi-retired journalist who is a Tesla Model S owner who was invited to speculate about a future Model 3.

I agree that the article is unrealistically optimistic about efficiency and battery sizes. This might have been entertaining speculation a year ago but I'm not sure what compelled the site to rerun/highlight this article now again a year later. Doing so is uncharacteristic for GreenCarReports and its especially surprising to see them rerun such a highly speculative article that has such a thin foundation at this point.

Last edited: