Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green New Deal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want the Green New Deal, you got it! Few drivers, few flights, no cruises, very little travel. Stay at home and save the world. Or just be bored until eternity

Why would I get bored without driving (ICE), flying or cruising? I could practically hike until eternity and there will always be another trail I haven't been to. We've artificially structured our idea of satisfaction around activities that require burning fools fuel. We can find something else... I have.

So how do we provide for healthcare? When the per capita cost of healthcare is $14k and the average income is $30k do you expect insurance companies to operate at a loss or people to pay ~50% of their income in premiums? What if you make <$30? Healthcare simply cannot function in a market system same a police and fire. That's not how it works....

What about people unable to find work through no fault of their own? Should they be forced into unfulfilling and unnecessary work to make people like you feel better ideologically?

This shows the tax rates, gross income and average after tax income per country. Income Tax Rates By Country & Global Salaries After Taxes

Please not that average after tax income in the US is $52,344, UK is $40,169, Sweden is $22,410, Canada is $35,299, Denmark $28,227, Japan $35,299. Only Switzerland has a higher after tax income of $84,006. In addition around 50% of the population has company sponsored healthcare, the poor get free healthcare through medicaid and the retired have medicare.

Now I think we need single payer healthcare so everyone has it but also pays for it. If you look at the tax rates for all these countries they are much higher than the US except Switzerland which has compulsory private healthcare.

Most billionaires are like Trump... a few million in seed money plus education and family contacts and political pull... it's easy to be a billionaire!

'Self-made'.... if you ignore all the help the got from family, and family connections ;)

Elizabeth Holmes could be described as 'self-made'... if you ignore all the political connections she had.

I agree Elon actually does qualify as 'self-made' .... what about Kimbal Musk and Lyndon Rive? Technically they didn't 'inherit' their wealth. They just had family connections to a wealthy investor.

Dig 2 layers deeper and very very few people attain wealth by 'working' for it.....

Even conservatives are coming around

As Unemployment Soars, Lawmakers Push to Cover Workers’ Wages As Unemployment Soars, Lawmakers Push to Cover Workers’ Wages

One of the most progressive lawmakers in the House and one of the most conservative in the Senate, staring down a pandemic-driven unemployment rate at its highest level since the Great Depression, have come to the same conclusion: It’s time for the federal government to cover workers’ salaries.

Other conservative lawmakers, including Representative Justin Amash, Independent of Michigan and a libertarian, has also backed direct payments to Americans. “The best thing we could have done is get universal monthly cash relief to the people,” he wrote on Twitter.

You agree single payer is the only viable option for universal coverage?

Yep, everyone should have healthcare and help pay for it. It could be public like it is in most countries or required private like in Switzerland. It's not right for someone having health insurance through their company for years, lose their job and thus lose their health insurance. It also isn't right to have someone opt out of having insurance and expect free healthcare if they get sick. There is no such thing as free healthcare.

Status
Not open for further replies.