Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green number plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's an excuse to make it look like the government is actually doing something. They need to spend money on walkways and cycle paths, get people out of cars. Make the railways cheap enough to actually use, tax aviation properly. Ban petrol and diesel in the next 10 years and make all remaining cars have to be EV.

They could do that, but it'd be effort. They'd rather make the plates green.

I like the idea. Goes well with my personalised zero emissions reg. Hopefully won't have the backlash from the yahoos like there is back stateside in my old country.

And perhaps after Brexit we can go back to the black plates which go well with the batmobile reg on my weekend car...;)

Here are the other options of green plate being considered.

Attachments

• 20025088-7597827-image-a-2_1571729966977.jpg
    20025088-7597827-image-a-2_1571729966977.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 135
Also the scheme is being used in Hungary since 2015, here's how green plates look on a Model S.

They are also considering free parking and driving in the bus lane for those with a green plate.

Attachments

• 20025084-7597827-image-a-3_1571730061288.jpg
    20025084-7597827-image-a-3_1571730061288.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 100
I also heard a discussion on this on the radio wile commuting for work, some interesting myopic debate as well by the people on the other side. However i feel this is more of a gimmick, considering Scotland has an interest free loan for the EV and we here will be getting a fancy green number plate, with some free parking may be.
I think this is the time when Govt should seriously think about overhauling the rules related to EV, like subsidy, public charging incentives and relaxation in luxury tax for an EV.

Reactions: drewpost and CMc1
Should be the other way round......ice vehicles forced to have red number plates at next mot / registration.

That way it's ice who bares the cost of new number plates not evs.

I think so too...

Not this "look I'm so special I got an EV" The whole point is that it's a normal car.

And it will be just additional hassle and cost for EV drivers (changing plates, probably some kind of "subscription" in the vein of ultra low emission exemption you have to pay £10 a year to renew).

Just give people more money to buy an EV, put your wallet where your mouth is. Not this sticker for being brave at the dentist thing...

Reactions: Jez_GB
So it looks like this is actually happening this Autumn..

Green 'flash' number plates to encourage the switching to electric cars and avoid congestion charges

Not fully green, thankfully, but a green “flash” where the EU bar would normally go.

Looks alright to me?

EDIT: Only obvious downsides I can see are that people could put these plates on any car, and access local/national incentives (if they aren’t backed up by ANPR with a database of zero emission vehicles), and the potential increased risk of vandalism by the crowd that think electric vehicles are actually more pollutant. God help us if someone starts saying the cars have 5G in them...

Last edited: