Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grey Leather going away?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I recall correctly, Tesla pulled the gray leather off the configurator sometime after I got my car last September. Maybe when Model X came out with its new fabric? Not sure. So if my memory is correct, then gray might have been off for a while and is now back. Is that possible?

Guilty as charged :)

So what's the color of choice for hipsters like you?

I got the grey next gen seats on mine and I'm 27. They look great and I haven't had to clean them at all (~5,500 miles now). I did get them coated with the interior opti-coat, so I am not sure if that helped.

Like others have said, black gets to hot and I am not a huge fan of the tan. Everyone has what they prefer. My last car had black leather and got hot. But it also had cooled front seats, so that really helped.

Thanks Erik

Our 70D is multicoat red and the gray works very nicely with it, thank you. Many people have said they like our upholstery color. (Maybe they were just being nice?) Our car is almost 11 months old,m and I have seen very little dirt or staining. There was one dirty streak a while ago, and it came right off with some Lexol.

In any case, tastes vary, so I don't think anyone's choice should be criticized.
I also have the multicoat red and grey seats. I have always had black leather and they are too hot in the sun.

• Disagree
Reactions: Super_Popular
That and it's just an ugly color for leather, so 1980's. People over 50 seem to love it, that and tan.....gag.

OK, I think my deep blue metallic S with grey next gen seats and black alcantara headliner look very nice. I think the combo is amazing!

Oh BTW, I'm a mid-20's millenial, who wasn't even born in the 1980's. LOL. I do agree with the tan seats though, I wasn't a fan of that color.

IMO the grey next gen seats look awesome - I think they especially go well with the CF trim and all the tech in the Model S, and give nice contrast and brighten up the interior. Of course everyone's tastes differ, and that's perfectly fine
Photos: Grey Next Gen seats + Carbon Fiber + Black Alcantara + Premium Front Console

I've previously had (and loved) black leather seats for many years, though I always found they got too hot even in our mild climate. Not so now with grey (& with pano roof too). And after 8 months, absolutely no problems with the grey seats getting dirty, YMMV.

If there's a big demand for grey and if perhaps Tesla is having supplier issues, then that might be the delay on new orders? If you're thinking of the grey I don't think you'll regret the choice, assuming you can wait until mid 2017(!)

I agree. We have the same color combo, which I love so much! I just got my car delivered last Friday. At the time of ordering in July, grey was a listed option with no delayed availability as there is now!

I think Tesla just put mid 2017 to make sure it's in by then. Tesla doesn't want to put in the earliest date, say early 2017, then have to postpone it again. I can't imagine why it'd take a year to get it in stock.

I just took delivery of my P90D two days ago and got the Grey. Had no idea it was being discontinued until middle of 2017. It looks hella good against the Black Obsidian, CF trim, black headliner, etc. I'm not an old man, millenial. Was going with black-on-black-on-black before, but saw one at the Tesla store and it was far too dark inside. Grey gave a nice futuristic contrast.

Reactions: ModelX and DÆrik
I love grey leather. I hope they always offer it.

Black is too dark, white is too light, and tan is usually too ... old sun-discolored IBM PCish. I just don't like it. Some other light colors are okay though. For example, Ford has in recent past offered a color called Stone that was light colored, not as yellow as typical tan, and looked pretty good. I'd be happy with something like that if they ever take grey away.

I'm also a fan of the older performance leather seats. I love the suede-like accents paired with the regular leather. My favorite seats so far of any car I've ever seen or owned. I'm very happy to have them on my 2014 Model S.

EDIT -- Actually, I can't quite remember what the current tan looks like. Some versions of tan I like, some I don't. You can't really tell from pictures.

Here's a picture of a tan Tesla interior that is the tan I don't like:
http://motoringrumpus.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/2013-Tesla-Model-S-Interior.jpg

And here is a picture of tan that I do like:
http://topcarsreleasedates.com/wp-c...esla-Model-S-interior-leather-front-seats.jpg

Now, these could both be the same color, because tan has a way of looking totally different in pictures depending on the lighting. So really I would have to see it in person.

Last edited: