Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grey Next Gen Seats - Available January 2017 ?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Spidy

Feb 7, 2015
EU
2016-07-27 05_16_03-Order your Tesla Model S _ Tesla.png
:eek:

• Informative
Reactions: Ohji
This is VERY interesting. I can't imagine Tesla's supplier wouldn't be able to get some gray leather from somewhere fairly quickly - a six month wait is crazy!

I wonder if Tesla is planning to change the seats in the Model S and they have a fixed number of seats in the various colors remaining from their current supplier. Once those have run out, they will have to wait until the new seats are ready.

Of course, Tesla is trying to move the Model S like crazy, so I can't imagine they would accept a 6 month delay in a specific part/option, even if a new seat is in the works... Mistake??

Why is this new unless something has changed with the grey color or the supply? When I built my car online in early June, the grey was an immediate and available option. Although, I ended up going with the black because when I saw a MS with the grey interior it was just too light in my opinion. I could envision black marks from my suit and jeans belts staining the light colored leather. This happened to the tan colored seats in a previous 5 series BMW I owned.

Why is this new unless something has changed with the grey color or the supply? When I built my car online in early June, the grey was an immediate and available option. Although, I ended up going with the black because when I saw a MS with the grey interior it was just too light in my opinion. I could envision black marks from my suit and jeans belts staining the light colored leather. This happened to the tan colored seats in a previous 5 series BMW I owned.
I considered the gray seats on my order until I got in a new one at the Charlotte, NC store and it was already quite dirty.

• Informative
Reactions: ApauloThirteen
Maybe they'll start offering the ultra white synthetic seats on the S? I was surprised that option didn't show up in April when the refreshed S was announced.

I have an S with grey next gen seats scheduled for delayed delivery. I'm not in any rush but was hoping to get it between October and December.

Last edited:
For those of you who may have recently ordered the grey next gen seats, here's my experience:

I ordered my Tesla (90D) on June 28 with grey seats.
Order confirmed on July 4. At the time expected delivery was August- early September.
It went into production last Wednesday, July 20.
Production completed last Saturday July 23.
I am picking up on Saturday.

I don't know at what point the grey interior backlog occurred relative to my car but my car is unaffected. The turnaround on the car was far better than I expected and I will be charging on 120v temporarily until my 14-50 is installed (a bit of a hassle as there will be trenching involved to get a line to my garage).

I hope this info helps fill out the picture of when orders may be impacted.