Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grid Services monitoring and Storm Watch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw these notes in the new Android app (3.4.3-349):

- Powerwall customers participating in Grid Services programs now know when their systems are benefiting the grid and can track Grid Services energy and power usage.
- Storm Watch: for Powerwall customers with backup and in selected regions, Tesla will automatically detect incoming storms and store energy.

The Storm Watch sounds interesting. I wonder how it will work with TBC. Guessing it will leave a higher reserve in case of the chance of a power outage.

This sounds like it could be similar to the feature I've been asking for. While it would be better if one could charge from the grid in case there's a storm coming, it could be somewhat helpful if the Powerwalls could automatically set a higher reserve.

I did notice the release note mentions "in selected regions" so it's possible this feature will only work for those in Australia and other countries where they can charge their Powerwalls from the grid (or perhaps for those who have Powerwalls without solar).

I'm not getting any SGIP or ITC on my Powerwalls so it would be nice if I could charge mine from the grid, if necessary, in anticipation of a coming storm.

Reactions: NuShrike and Shygar
Here is a screenshot of Storm Watch under customize. It is a toggle on/off. There is a mini animation below.
Screenshot_2018-08-06-17-54-30.png

I am in PG&E land in the SF bay area.

• Informative
Reactions: Shygar
I've had my PowerWall 2 working for a few weeks now, and it's been great (using for time of day load shifting, no solar). I noticed today that it did not cut over to the PowerWall to power the home at noon (starting partial peak) like it has been normally. I noticed the StormWatch setting, turned it off, and shortly after (maybe 5-10 minutes later) it started pulling from the PW as it should have.

Here in northern California, we don't have any storms brewing, just a lot of smoky air from all the fires. I think there's either a bug in their programming or in their storm detection.

So, the battery will charge from the grid to provide backup. But Tesla's warranty provides unlimited cycles only for "Solar self-consumption/ back-up only", which the footnote "Storing solar energy generated by an onsite array, and using that stored solar energy (i) for daily self-consumption and/or (ii) for use as back-up power."

I hope Tesla will remember that they caused the battery to charge from the grid.