Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grill Me!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand why Tesla didn't keep the front of the concept they drew. The same one that Elon tweeted when they were working on the car. The best front IMO was the one in the middle under Franz drawing.

If tesla made the change for cheaper bumper, then maybe I would let them slide, but there is no reason to make the front ugly. Look at the Model S. They could've put Aero wheels and a rear wheel side cover to improve the aero dynamics, but they chose to keep the Model S sexy. This front on the MOdel 3 has to go.

_89058303_89058302.jpg

I've seen all of these suggestions you guys have made and have had mixed feelings. I think most of us like the original design except for it being maybe a *tad* too much. I think it needs a VERY slight revision to make it much more attractive. I've seen the grilled and rounded versions but they all seem too safe/boring and lack a signature bold look. You don't want it to look like a 90's Miata. I think the "snout" is making a statement about NOT needing a grill for air intake. It's the look of the future. I do think the original design is a little *too* overpowering where your attention is drawn too much to the front of the car, making you ignore the rest. Yes, it does look a little like pouty lips, a duck, or mouthless Keanu. Anyway, this picture is my suggestion and attempt at showing what I mean.

tesla-model-3-snout-orig-vs-mod.jpg

Reactions: weak_pig
Modl
Auf3U8a.png

And for giggles a grille-less Model S:
fijLk38.png

Model S looks wonderful!

I've come to realize it's not simply the front end I'm not feeling, it's the front end with the headlights as shown. I think one or the other I'd be okay with, but taken together, to me it looks like a cold robotic vehicle designed to seek out and destroy all humans (most noticeably in the pic of the original design in post #105. it may be that the headlights being off is a large part of this effect).

I'm not saying don't do that design... maybe a fair amount of people love that look for that reason. I just think that Tesla probably will be able to sell millions of Model 3s/year, volumes that normally takes a manufacturer 5 models to reach. with all the money Tesla will save reaching those volumes only designing, tooling 1 vehicle rather than 5, why not invest a minuscule fraction of that to offer a few choices of facia/headlight options? if they were the world's greatest watchmaker and had 10% share, would they only offer one watch face?

Last edited:
I feel like Tesla has slowly gone away from the grill the Roadster had a functional front grill, Model S has the front nose cone, Model X has the little quarter front grill, Model ☰ now has no grill but Elon say's there hoping for a drag coefficient of 0.21 Im guessing the grill has something to do with it.

Jeebus get rid of grills. Fake S model grill is horrible and only made not to scary ppl used to looks at cars with grills for decades. Functionality and low air drag is the king and EV dont need grill.
Paradigms are shifting, welcome to the new era! :)
Model 3 has now aprox. drag low as 0,21 marvelous ;)

EV's actually CAN benefit from grills. One of the major issues with getting performance from an EV is heat dissipation. Putting a radiator in the front that vents through the hood is a great way to dissipate heat and gain additional downforce. The Model S already uses liquid cooling for the motors anyway (and I'm assuming the Model 3 does too).

Granted, at the performance levels most people will be driving these cars at, it makes much more sense to focus on Cd to improve efficiency (and consequently range). Regardless, it's inaccurate to say that grills are a thing of the past. They aren't only for ICE's.

My first reaction when I saw the new nose on the Model 3 was "WOW that's the face of the four-eyed fish in the movie The Incredible Mr. Limpet." Reference: The Incredible Mr. Limpet (1964) - IMDb
I'm no designer, but that seems like a strange place to draw inspiration for the front of an otherwise decent design. Not that it matters. Look around at the drek that clutters the roads and you'll see that people will drive just about anything. The Model 3 will do just fine as-is.

I really like the 3 prototype, especially compared to the generic looking photo shopped picture or even the front of the S or X. Hope they keep it unique and smooth without a faux grill or panel. Glad that steering wheel isn't going to stay though.

I've seen all of these suggestions you guys have made and have had mixed feelings. I think most of us like the original design except for it being maybe a *tad* too much. I think it needs a VERY slight revision to make it much more attractive. I've seen the grilled and rounded versions but they all seem too safe/boring and lack a signature bold look. You don't want it to look like a 90's Miata. I think the "snout" is making a statement about NOT needing a grill for air intake. It's the look of the future. I do think the original design is a little *too* overpowering where your attention is drawn too much to the front of the car, making you ignore the rest. Yes, it does look a little like pouty lips, a duck, or mouthless Keanu. Anyway, this picture is my suggestion and attempt at showing what I mean.

View attachment 170664
Ya, I like this small revision too.

Let's also keep in mind that this isn't a supercar that requires tons of downforce. The idea is to channel the air to the sides instead of trying to cut under it with a pointed hood. I believe the some call it "zero lift" front end.