Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grilling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started this so as not to derail another thread.

BaseCamp PizzaDome Bundle

I got this to camp so that I'd have an alternative to powering my devices as well as not having to bring coal with us, but have now been using it at home to use up the twigs and small branches that fall on my property that I have to occassionally clear for the LawnBott (It dug up a perimeter wire with a twig that was stuck under it and severed the connection.) As a bonus, I haven't had to buy as much coal for the BGE!

My wife and I decided to get the Sol Source by One Earth Designs for the beach, but upon receiving it, decided it's not as portable so we got the GoSun Sport. That was before they came out with the GoSun Grill.

Would like to know what others have used and what your experiences are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that BGE is fun, but the fuel for that is a bit pricey for me. So we just fire it up when there's a bigger gathering at our place.

My brother has the EcoZoom, which I think works better than the Biolite as a stove, but I haven't seen any other alternative for grilling like the Biolite. So for the price difference, I think the Biolite is worth it especially when coupled with their BaseLantern system eliminates the need for me to carry batteries.

The Biolite's USB charging capability isn't that fast though. I hope they can upgrade it so that the kids can watch movies on this longer.

Last edited:
I lived in a condo for what seems like eternity, so the only grill I was allowed was an electric grill (no charcoal, no gas). I still have that electric grill, but it just sits there collecting dust and storing my accessories for the BGE.

All my other grilling was done at camp sites.

I've had the BGE for 2 years now (pretty much when we bought the house), and I'm considering getting another kamado style grill (not sure I want to pay for the BGE namebrand, when there are competitors who are almost as good for a lot less cash), just so that I can cook two different things at different temperatures at the same time (sear a steak, smoke a brisket, etc.)

Those solar grills that you posted in the other thread look awesome (as a gadget, maybe not from a functional standpoint) -- I need something that works at night or in the rain!

And yeah, lump charcoal can be expensive. It's about $0.85/lb. At Costco roadshows you can get it for ~$0.75/lb. On a really big sale you might find them close to $0.50/lb, whereas regular charcoal is about $0.30/lb, and even cheaper on sale.

I started this so as not to derail another thread.

BaseCamp PizzaDome Bundle

I got this to camp so that I'd have an alternative to powering my devices as well as not having to bring coal with us, but have now been using it at home to use up the twigs and small branches that fall on my property that I have to occassionally clear for the LawnBott (It dug up a perimeter wire with a twig that was stuck under it and severed the connection.) As a bonus, I haven't had to buy as much coal for the BGE!

My wife and I decided to get the Sol Source by One Earth Designs for the beach, but upon receiving it, decided it's not as portable so we got the GoSun Sport. That was before they came out with the GoSun Grill.

Would like to know what others have used and what your experiences are.
I own the GoSun Sport. Great product!