Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SO time has come... my car detailer finally gave me my Tesla model 3 fully wrapped, inside out, wheels included, with all 36 accessories and everything you can do to hide some 15 scratches car came with at door, mirror, wheel arch, dashboard trim everywhere. luckily my $9000 package to detail the car and wrap in PPF + ceramic covered all the dodgy delivery Tesla did. except cheap feeling fake leather steering wheel - a wheel I will be holding till death or sale of car do us apart... could have asked for more money to give me nice feeling steering with extra easy to use clear functions - I like to focus on drive instead of going to central screen and navigate every tiny things what I should be able to do from steering already with clear buttons.

I did a fresh start, all faults forgiven... added FSD upgrade for $11500, started up car to go catch-up with a friend at a beach (level 3 at Auckland) and show off my shiny new car with fancy Summon mode and coveted self driving capabilities.

My first mistake spotted: Mud flaps from Tesla.... worst piece of accessory ever designed - full stop. mud guard almost touches the ground and every time you hit a break, get on slopped drive way or approach the turns on speed higher than 30, you are having earth shattering (remember it's brand new car, so any sound that doesn't belong there is bad) sound.... it's like sweeping Auckland roads clean before mud can ever build up.

My second mistake spotted: using first part of auto pilot without steering control.... or correctly called adaptive cruise control for every other car and something I was using since 2005 with no issues in my old cars. one thing I know very well with 16 years of Adaptive Cruise control using since it was only working between 30-200 Kms in 2005 till it was working 0-220 Kms since 2012.. is that it almost never fails. it breaks smoothly, maintains the distance, works effortlessly that collision detection is rarely needed, and in most recent versions it's using cameras in front bumper apart from LIDAR/SONAR to adopt the speed with turns, bumps, breakers, objects.
My Tesla did most thing for few kilometres, impressed as I should be, nothing magical here but comfort knowing I can depend on it.... until it almost kills a pedestrian by not detecting a moving person approaching the crossing... I was on alert as it's Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and took over the driving - no harm done, first mistake forgiven.
Then comes a parked car on side of the road with no clear line of sight and more than enough space, 70 zone so plenty cars following... my Tesla decided to just turn off the ACC and give warning after - that's not how controls work.... what a shame... with regenerative break car almost came to stand still - lucky me that I wasn't trusting car yet and took over - looking at scared people starting to maintain long distance between Tesla and their car behind Tesla....... VERY BAD.

My Third Mistake spotted: using auto pilot with steering control... Kia calls it active assist, Audi calls it active assist, every other car calls it active assist, where steering is slightly corrected to maintain the current lane... tesla calls it auto pilot, not sure why. anyhow back to what happened.... After little boo boo with Adaptive Cruise Control feature... I got the car on more empty and mostly straight road of Auckland motorway to try out the full auto drive capability as per Tesla... everything turns blue as it should and stupidly asks me to hold the steering at all the times (Like I was going to let it go after earlier deactivation of ACC before warning)... so hand on steering least touching and not fully handling and I am on auto drive.... 5-6 kilometres and there comes near death experience as car decides to lean more and more left instead of maintaining the nicely marked lane... there is a car in front towards left lane... in backup cameras I can see that there is a car fast approaching right behind on left lane and behind me, as I am at 100 and most people drive over speed at Auckland motorway.... but my Tesla still decides to go to extreme left of the lane before - turning off all ACC and steering controls and giving me warning right after (HOW DUMB to WARN AFTER)...

Long story short, it's only my driving skills allowed me to take over rapidly deaccelerating car (regenerative break) at 100 KMs zone with car following me and on sides so nowhere to pull over.... with hazards switch at odd location - trying to break some norms in car industry, not realising that that Ugly BIG hazards button glaring at same place in every car in history... for a valid reason to be used at first and last time you use that car... it's there for purpose instead of decoration - specially when car is unreliable.

SO first day of my car, and near death experience in my shiny fancy so called self driving car.....

Post is open for Tesla lovers to go on and defend everything with any random logic... I will welcome them all to get in my car's driving seat and go thru what I went thru... and speak for themselves.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
oh.. missed some article in recent past... Tesla admits 'Full Self-Driving' option is not actually capable of self-driving
not that I was expecting it to, my expectations were very low... except I was seriously expecting some glaring red lights and sounds going off as warning before car decides to turn off features.... having regenerative breaks means once feature turned off, car wouldn't keep rolling around same speed and gradually slow down - in this case it will come to almost halt.

so here are the threads for anyone interested:

1. Cruise Control
  2. 2021 Phantom breaking override?
  3. Possible to deactivate TACC and use "regular, dumb" cruise control? Phantom braking & unexpected slowdowns
  4. Cruise control inappropriately slamming on brakes
  5. TACC vs Adaptive Cruise Control - is there any difference?
  6. Phantom Braking theory...need help to test this out
  7. Unhappy with phantom braking
It's good and sad to know I am not the only one with this experience. It's very well known old (with radar) and recent (with vision) issue and there is no official response to it.
Attitude is like suck it up or leave it... but don't dare expect something to work perfectly :rolleyes:

Have you considered selling the death trap and buying an Audi e-tron?

This posters user name, and previous content, along with the (VERY) sensationalist thread title, make this appear to be a post used, in polite terms, to "get discussion going" or otherwise less slightly less polite terms, as a post designed to antagonize.

It appears, Audietron, that you may have tried too much too soon. Read the manual carefully and then take baby steps in getting to know your new toy.
Good luck and show patience; it will be rewarded. Clive Shaw Timaru
Thanks for encouraging words... it's more than anything I got from tesla, and much better than suggestion from other users to sell the brand new car I paid for instead of expecting that car to work.

I drove a car for 200KM after reading manuals for 3.5 months - 3 months waiting for car and 2 weeks when car scratches were fixed and car was wrapped...
Adaptive Cruise Control is very old feature in terms of cars... nothing sort of miracle when it was in my year 2005 car... issue it Phantom breaking and without warning turning off feature, both put me under risk, as lack of timely visual cue... also the reliability, as if breaking at random times to save me from invisible forces - and in process putting me into harms way from vehicle following.

Sharing the experience for others like me who will buy a car expecting it to just work as promised, and find themselves either avoiding to use certain features as they are reliable, or wait for one day when some software update might fix it...

This posters user name, and previous content, along with the (VERY) sensationalist thread title, make this appear to be a post used, in polite terms, to "get discussion going" or otherwise less slightly less polite terms, as a post designed to antagonize.
as genuine Tesla owner as anyone else is...
As true details are as the car cameras would show off... apparently car collects videos and uploads them to Tesla all the times to improve service. I found it under data sharing, once I disabled sharing it wouldn't allow me to use navigation and many other features.

Just because I am not sharing nice experience, doesn't mean my experience is any less real :rolleyes: 😲

Attachments

• IMG_20211010_170435.jpg
    IMG_20211010_170435.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot_2021-10-10-16-59-56-258_com.teslamotors.tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-10-10-16-59-56-258_com.teslamotors.tesla.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 52
For me that ship sailed decades ago. The rise and set of the Sun aren't even dependable.
At New Zealand we still expect fair go and fair treatment... we still expect company to own up if they lie, and deliver what they promised... and sun is still as regular as it used to be...
everything still good except the Ozone layer, as rest of the world enjoy making pollution, and us using mostly renewable energy with no major polluting industries got thin Ozone layer as apparently planet doesn't care who does what.

It appears, Audietron, that you may have tried too much too soon. Read the manual carefully and then take baby steps in getting to know your new toy.
Good luck and show patience; it will be rewarded. Clive Shaw Timaru
You got yours recently as well?
Always loved Timaru and iconic Dog/Sheep when driving by, or late night stop over to catch a nap when coming back to Auckland... I guess our most holidays have Timaru as stopover unless we are driving farther north. Lovely place.

As I said somewhere else, that the cruise control is 'phantom braking' is a good thing; it shows it is working to detect vehicles on a vector towards you, however temporarily. I have disengaged lane-keeping because the centre of the lane is not necessarily the best piece of the roadway.
Iconic Dog/Sheep? No, mate, you're thinking of Tirau, the corrugated iron sculptures and arty-farty shops. Timaru is south of Christchurch. Clive

• Funny
Reactions: Audietron
Congrats on finally getting your hands on!
where are the photos of this fine beast??

With those low hanging mud flaps you could....
1 roadworks for transmission gully
2 road sweeping for Auckland city council
3 smart summon grader
4 Profit!

not sure what's going on with your death trap autopilot/FSD
maybe it was trying to change lanes
maybe not enough torque on the steering wheel
Don't throw the baby out with the bath water

FSD is beta software it's not at the stage were you can engage it and switch off
use it enough you'll learn what situations AP/FSD can't handle what it can and either not engage it in those situations or
disengage it when you see the situations it's not going to handle

There are amazing improvements happening in the US now with FSD beta who knows how long it will be before NZ sees it

I guess it depends on if you are willing to be a beta tester a very expensive beta tester
have a eye to the future and willing to working within the limits/foibles/idiosyncrasies / that come along with it
even if that means driving in AP/FSD with a foot posed above the accelerator ready for a ramdom phantom braking episode

Rush hour Auckland motorways, traffic light controlled on ramps
if your on the motorway with NoA engaged the car will see these on ramp traffic lights and thinks it should stop
it's been doing this since NoA was turned on for NZ

if it's any consolation I use FSD every day I would not be without it even with all it's it's foibles
I've learnt when and when not to use it what it can handle
and most of all, only to try out FSD with new software builds by myself ....it cuts down on the screaming :)

Last edited:
  • Informative
As I said somewhere else, that the cruise control is 'phantom braking' is a good thing; it shows it is working to detect vehicles on a vector towards you, however temporarily. I have disengaged lane-keeping because the centre of the lane is not necessarily the best piece of the roadway.
Iconic Dog/Sheep? No, mate, you're thinking of Tirau, the corrugated iron sculptures and arty-farty shops. Timaru is south of Christchurch. Clive

• Love