Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gripes about the Beta interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to say thank you to everyone who has been posting. There has been a great discussion and a number of great points brought out in all the threads on the Forum (both here and at Teslamotors.com) and I have gained great insight in following the discussions.

What this great discussion illustrates is the great passion and great desire that we all have for Tesla to create the best car on the planet and to show the ICE automakers that there is a better way. There is disappointment that Tesla has not followed through on some inferences (The Beta's represent 90% of production car) they have been making for months regarding the interior. So it is frustrating for people who have a great love for Tesla as a company and who have certain expectations that Tesla has seemingly not fulfilled.

I would surmise that some feel like the trust we have given Tesla has been broken in some manner and when trust is broken, it is often something that is difficult to regain. What I do know is that Tesla has a vision and they are working hard to achieve that vision. They are in uncharted territory and are trying to break the mold in the automative industry and I applaud them for that. I also realize that cars are ultimately emotional purchases and individual expressions of the people who drive them. What people here on the forum are trying to express is their individual desires for what the car should be and their passion that Tesla shows the world that they truly make the best car period. A great illustration of this is the phrase Tesla has bandied about that the Model S will be similar to other 'Premium sedans'. Some can argue that the interior falls short of their perception of what premium is. We can easily benchmark against the paradigm that exists there right now with BWM, Audi, MB etc. when looking at it on a 'feature' basis. Storage is a feature, cup holders are a feature, door pockets are a feature. The benefit is a person can carry stuff and access it conveniently. Now maybe I'm misunderstanding how the center open storage area is configured, but with the rails on the sides, I should be able to keep my sunglasses in a convenient area between the two seats and have access to them. Same with my mints and kleenex. But the benefit of organization, safety and a clean look is lost with no closed console. So Tesla's task is to figure out how to restore that benefit to the owners of the Model S. I would think that Tesla, with enough time, can come up with a great solution to the organization, safety and neatness issues are seemingly missed with an open center storage area concept.

I'm trying to keep an open mind and see what the car will actually be like in every day use with the vision they have for a car. I know others are not willing to risk their cash (which is a very significant amount in the case of the Model S) to try a different paradigm for a car interior and not get the car they personally envision. My personal hope is that as Tesla scales up, they will have the resources and capability to serve the vision of each of their individual customers. Some may like the 'negative space' interior concept, others may want the center console and as much other storage space as possible to take care of their storage needs.

The greatness of Tesla (at least my perception) is that the platform they have built will be able to accomodate everyone via some incredible customization options down the road. This gets back to the point that cars are expressions of the people who drive them and customization will allow people to tailor it to their liking. One could argue that for $100k+ (for the sig performance) that this all should be included in the price and I don't disagree. I would hope that as Tesla scales and builds a supply chain that can handle great customization, their costs will decrease and later adopters will have the customization for a reasonable price. I just looked at the Leaf website and I note that the leaf has already added additional standard features vs. their V1 car and I think they have not increased the price.

So I'm sticking with my reservation, Sig #267 (BTW I'm also model X P#37 and sticking with that as well) and am excited to see how an open interior design will work out and I'm sure I'll be one of those that will pay for upgrades as they are introduced over time. (just like they were with the Roadster and the 'upgrades' Tesla offered on it over time) I know that one can argue that we should not have to pay for them because the car is already so expensive, but that's the nature of the technology game. Every year a new iPhone and iPad is available for the same price as last years version at the same price, but with increased specs. Granted that $500 to $900 for an iPad is a much different price point that $100k for a car!

But the above is just all my opinion and I am in a position to pay for these things over time, where as I recognize that others are not in a similar financial position and it's a challenging thing to have to pay for 'upgrades' in a car that some expect should already be standard. I'm still a huge Tesla supporter and I am awaiting the arrival of my Model S with even more enthusiasm after this weekends events. But again, this is just my opinion and I totally understand the others that are very disappointed with what appears to have transpired over the weekend.

Last edited:
Mycroft and Larry - My replies to you both are floating somewhere in cyberspace...maybe I shouldn't be trusted with a touch-screen controlled car! Or perhaps they went to you directly and not publicly? I'm a newbie here...

Mycroft - In short, I hear you. Tesla seems to also be in Beta mode in communications and PR, plenty of learning curve there for them for sure. I only sent a deposit in this January, so my ride has been shorter and less emotional than pretty much everyone here - and for everyone who's doubled down, no one wants me to invest in this stock unless you're a short, I'm kryptonite to principal appreciation. I hope they offer select options to comfort everyone who has legitimate concerns about the usefulness of the interior. If you're concerned about the beauty of the interior, I fear for you and others we have seen what we are going to get - that OK with me but I know not for others.

Larry - I have a 5-series BMW, and before that a 1967 230SL, so I have been conditioned to enjoy driving without much or much useful storage. BMW summary - never use door pockets, teen tray between armrests, lame cupholders, do like the changeholder in the door. 230SL summary - small teak box that held everything. My big issue is the wallet in the back pocket for long trips in pants that used to fit better. I'd love a folio of some sort - Tesla branded - that could either fit between floor rails or in glove box, holds ipad, iphone, wallet, change, pen, etc. I usually put glasses in front shirt pocket or go Magnum PI and hang them in the V of my shirt. Not a tissues guy, no maps, small business owner so no corporate RFID, etc. I'm a simple guy.

Lots of times I have all my stuff in a small briefcase borderline man-purse that goes on the front or rear seat of the BMW, so I have bought into random death by self inflicted projectile stupidity - like I said, simple guy.

And I get it, since storage isn't a big deal for me and I like the Beta interior, it's easy to hike along the high road. I'd probably sing a different tune if I felt otherwise. I'm hoping many will come to love the simple, fluid interiors, and Tesla will address, in a beautiful way, a couple of concerns re-storage. I'm pulling for you guys!

CD

Since I'm not usually a luxury/premium car buyer, and when I get rides, I don't really examine the dashboard console that much, I also had googled interiors and usually the dashboard seems to have a center control center which to me looks like cheap stereo equipment most of the time. Expensive cars seem to have the same except with expensive looking wood instead of plastic. Many take away a lot of leg space, which I would not want either.

The only one I've seen so far which I liked better than the S's is the *concept* for the 2015 Bentley Turbo R Sport. However, it surprisingly doesn't seem to have door pockets either, and not much of storage space (though it seems covered) in the center. It does take lot of space in the center, so in spite of the looks which I like, I'd say it isn't practical enough to take all that space.

2015 Bentley Turbo R Sport Car 2015 Bentley Turbo R dashboard – Newcarseries.Com

2015-Bentley-Turbo-R-dashboard.jpg

The only one I've seen so far which I liked better than the S's is the *concept* for the 2015 Bentley Turbo R Sport. However, it surprisingly doesn't seem to have door pockets either, and not much of storage space (though it seems covered) in the center. It does take lot of space in the center, so in spite of the looks which I like, I'd say it isn't practical enough to take all that space.

I've seen that very same 2015 concept image before and noticed that the lines within the composition are slightly wonky around the middle and top of the centre piece - so I've tweaked the image a little, as shown in my last attachment below.

One reason why various Jags, Astons and Bentleys have such huge consoles is that there's usually a lot of engine and gearbox right beneath so as to move their mass nearer the centre of the car. They tend to heat the car interior as well !

Norbert - Do any of the other interiors below look easier on the eye to you ?

004aston2.jpg

002jagxjs1.jpg

005aston4.jpg

003subaruconcept1.jpg

008Maserati2.jpg

Hastily corrected image from the Bentley 2015 *concept* :-

2015skeewiffimage.jpg

Last edited:
Cattledog, I don't have a problem with the decisions to not provide a center console, or even the crappy sliding arm rests. The problem I have, and what I posted in the TM forum, is that I felt strung along all this time. I was told that the interior was only 90% complete and that nearly everything in it was subject to change. When I asked specifically about door pockets, I was told that they would likely be there in the final version, but that the betas had to be slapped together.

Since the lead time on parts is so long, Tesla must have known back in October that the arm rests were final and that the doors were final. There were many, many posts in the forums about these two topics alone. But Tesla just kept repeating the 90% mantra and we waited patiently to see the final interior. Now we see the final interior and it's virtually identical to the October interiors. So yes, I feel strung along.
Were you strung along by Tesla about the door pockets or just posters here? Anyways, it seems this is not really the final interior, because supposedly at the very least the seats will be worked on and the interior dimensions tweaked for improvements (rear head room seems to be the biggest deficiency). Although it doesn't appears the side pockets/center console you wanted will be added, there may be an optional insert for the center area.

Most Bentleys look cosy, but the cars are deceptively big and usually have a fair bit more space, possibly for slightly over weight British businessmen !

I've seen that very same 2015 concept image before and noticed that the lines within the composition are slightly wonky around the middle and top of the centre piece - so I've tweaked the image a little, as shown in my last attachment below.

One reason why various Jags, Astons and Bentleys have such huge consoles is that there's usually a lot of engine and gearbox right beneath so as to move their mass nearer the centre of the car. They tend to heat the car interior as well !

004aston2.jpg

002jagxjs1.jpg

005aston4.jpg

003subaruconcept1.jpg

008Maserati2.jpg

2015skeewiffimage.jpg

Great images PV4EV! Easier one the eyes?! If you're Oedipus. Good golly, the only thing missing from most of those interiors is the safety bar that comes down right before you enter Space Mountain! Calgon take me away...

Out of those, I only have an immediately positive impression about this one:

Yet again, the additional space requirement doesn't seem to be balanced by usefulness.

2015skeewiffimage.jpg

Your correction of perspective makes it look even better. At the same time I'm happy with the S's interior and the space it provides. I would have liked a small shelf below the touchscreen, or a drawer backwards below the 12 V plug in the center, for example. But I think accessories can solve any such needs according to individual taste. (I posted two in the poll thread, while I'm sure there are and will be more refined solutions, including from Tesla).

+1 Cattledog!! I'm no architect, but I love that Tesla is going for minimalist design in the interior. Like anything else new, it'll take some getting used to.

I agree that the Model S has many innovative aspects, some of which are unique simply due to the fact that it's an EV. But one thing we must remember, you shouldn't compromise either quality or functionality in the name of "newness". I actually am a fan of the center console to a certain extent, in that it's completely unique and highlights the open space gained by the lack of an ICE transmission (something uniquely EV). But they completely sacrificed functionality by not including even the slightest bit of storage space. That's not the "no compromises" Tesla I have come to know. They could have done both. Innovated by having lots of open space between the front seats, but also provided at least some storage space. They failed to do that.

Look, obviously you have to draw the line somewhere with changes in the name of a paradigm shift. What if Tesla did away with the steering wheel and went with some new push button way of steering? Would all the Tesla fanboys champion this new way of driving and tell everyone to "give it some time"? Such a change would completely hinder functionality and would certainly not be a welcome change.

But one thing we must remember, you shouldn't compromise either quality or functionality in the name of "newness".

Look, obviously you have to draw the line somewhere with changes in the name of a paradigm shift. What if Tesla did away with the steering wheel and went with some new push button way of steering? Would all the Tesla fanboys champion this new way of driving and tell everyone to "give it some time"? Such a change would completely hinder functionality and would certainly not be a welcome change.

I don't disagree -- doing something different just for the sake of it isn't necessarily good. My wife drives an expensive MB (GL 550), and we both hate the controls -- they're not user friendly at all and very distracting. And all of the compartments in her car means that she can rarely find anything. My only point was that I don't think Tesla is just doing things differently for the sake of it, but because they perceive a flaw in most current ICEs, even (or especially) luxury ones, and I'm giving them a bit of rope to try new things because even if it's something unique or new and totally distinct from every other car doesn't mean it's going to suck -- to the contrary, I might find after getting used to it that I like it better. I liked that when I had the test drive in October the cabin felt spartan -- sort of minimalist/modern, which seemed to go along with the general Tesla vibe. That's what made me think of the Aeron chair story.

I don't disagree -- doing something different just for the sake of it isn't necessarily good. My wife drives an expensive MB (GL 550), and we both hate the controls -- they're not user friendly at all and very distracting. And all of the compartments in her car means that she can rarely find anything. My only point was that I don't think Tesla is just doing things differently for the sake of it, but because they perceive a flaw in most current ICEs, even (or especially) luxury ones, and I'm giving them a bit of rope to try new things because even if it's something unique or new and totally distinct from every other car doesn't mean it's going to suck -- to the contrary, I might find after getting used to it that I like it better. I liked that when I had the test drive in October the cabin felt spartan -- sort of minimalist/modern, which seemed to go along with the general Tesla vibe. That's what made me think of the Aeron chair story.
I don't mind the open look and even though I much prefer the pictures of the alpha Model S to the beta Model S I can see that train left the station a year or so ago. I like lots of compartments but I see the point you are making, but the way it's now there's NO small compartments for even safety stuff like sunglasses.

If they redesigned the arm-rest and opened up the box under the armrest so you could open them you would get most of the basic complaining done away with. You would also make sure a big black box had more use than what it appears it has now.
This reminds me a bit of IKEA computer desks as shown in their store. All the monitors and computer cases have no cables attached and usually they actually cut the cables from the monitors. That gives a much cleaner look in the shop, but it highlights a usual problem with their designs, when you get it home and DO connect up the cable they have no intelligent solution for the mess.

Cobos

but the way it's now there's NO small compartments for even safety stuff like sunglasses.

If they redesigned the arm-rest and opened up the box under the armrest so you could open them you would get most of the basic complaining done away with. You would also make sure a big black box had more use than what it appears it has now.

This makes sense -- if we end up with the RC having absolutely no place to put stuff (like sunglasses or my toll transponder), then I might have an issue, but I'm sort of assuming that they'll make sure there is something available, even if it's not a traditional storage area like we're currently used to in cars.

If you care about the viability of Tesla, you would understand that Tesla needs to compete on all levels, including the interior. This is clearly an important aspect to a car, as is evident by the reaction people have had. Tesla cannot afford to simply make the Model S a fun car to drive as is the case with the Roadster.
Here's my $0.02 on this.... Tesla only has 1 chance to get the mechanical bits right as this affects every buyer (EV zealot or not). The battery, drivetrain, handling characteristics, etc. I think they have been wisely focusing on this. I am confident very few people RIGHT NOW are actually cross-shopping Model S with a BMW or Audi ICE. There are enough early adopters that will buy the car based on its being an EV and having amazing performance and will forgive the interior. Then in later years (when they will be going head-to-head with ICE cars) they can very easily improve the interior based on feedback. The interior is trivial to update/change, the mechanical bits not so much. Let's also remember that Tesla is starting from scratch with things like interiors. Lotus built everything for the Roadsters. It takes time to develop the skills, team, etc to build a high-quality interior and with a few thousand under their built will be in a better position to make those improvements.