Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Groan when making 90 degree slow speed turns

Do you have a groan when making 90 degree slow speed turns on your Model S?

• No, on Model S Refresh

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TLLMRRJ

Dec 19, 2019
Houston
Trying to find out if this is normal or not before I bring it up with the Service Center just to have them tell me it's normal whether it is or isn't.

It does this groin noise consistently when doing 90 deg turns while decelerating, such as turning into a driveway in this 5 second video:

I think we are talking about different groans. The one I hear is slowing down, before the steering wheel is even turned. Is there another groan that I can't hear?

The noise you are hearing from 1-3 seconds is the ridiculous amount of gear whine my front drive unit makes. That gear noise is there even if I put the car in neutral, so it is definitely not regen noise. As an engineer, and life long car nut, that gear noise is very not ok in my book either, but that's a different topic.

The groan for this poll is from 4-5 seconds in the video that starts when the wheel is turned. I had to cut the video short because all the parking sensors were annoyingly sounding off false alarms due to the driveway which only has a very slight slope, but that's a different topic that I won't be bothering anyone about.

Reactions: DerbyDave
My new MYLR does this, looking for answers too.

That's very interesting. I have not heard anything like this noise on our Y or 3, and as I understand it, the front drive unit on the MS LR comes from the 3/Y, but the noise almost seems like the brakes are dragging.

Thinking out loud, I'll check if I have the option turned on to use the physical brakes to assist the regen and test with that feature turned off if it's on.

That's very interesting. I have not heard anything like this noise on our Y or 3, and as I understand it, the front drive unit on the MS LR comes from the 3/Y, but the noise almost seems like the brakes are dragging.

Thinking out loud, I'll check if I have the option turned on to use the physical brakes to assist the regen and test with that feature turned off if it's on.
So i switch from hold to creep, and no more noise, and I also tried to apply brakes while on creep mode, turned wheel all the way and stop. Also no noise. Turn hold mode back. And noise is back. Let me know if you try that and has same result. I’ll bring it to service and will report back

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
So i switch from hold to creep, and no more noise, and I also tried to apply brakes while on creep mode, turned wheel all the way and stop. Also no noise. Turn hold mode back. And noise is back. Let me know if you try that and has same result. I’ll bring it to service and will report back

Well, I don't see the hold and creep option in my Model S options, so no way to change that setting. Other things are missing on the Model S for some reason.

I did turn off the friction brakes assisting the regen braking, but that didn't make a change in the groan.

With the car parked, first turn the wheel all the way to lock , then get out and inspect the inner fender well liner for contact with tire or wear. Repeat for the opposite turn.
If you see wear make sure all the clips for the liner are in place and engaged.
Not a big worry.

I don't have this noise but from what I am hearing it sounds like the power steering pump to me. It's too high frequency to be a low speed wheel rub and it only makes the sound once you approach the last 30% or so of the steering angle available?

So maybe as the steering angle increases at low speed there is more torque required to turn the wheel which increases the demand on the steering pump so it ramps up creating that noise.

The refresh cars have a wider track and wider wheels. Unsure of the offsets on the offsets on the wheels but if they have large offsets that would increase the amount of force needed to turn them do to scrub.

I don't have this noise but from what I am hearing it sounds like the power steering pump to me. It's too high frequency to be a low speed wheel rub and it only makes the sound once you approach the last 30% or so of the steering angle available?

So maybe as the steering angle increases at low speed there is more torque required to turn the wheel which increases the demand on the steering pump so it ramps up creating that noise.

The refresh cars have a wider track and wider wheels. Unsure of the offsets on the offsets on the wheels but if they have large offsets that would increase the amount of force needed to turn them do to scrub.

Electric power steering racks don’t have a hydraulic power steering pump.