Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group Buy for Power Trunk/Frunk Liftgate!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed the frunk opener today. It wasn’t difficult, but the online directions are for sh*$. I used Frugal Tesla Guy’s step-by-step video and made it through okay. I wrapped a lot more of the wires than they did and I used a lot of my own zip ties to make everything look nice and neat.

After I got the settings the way I wanted I removed the buzzer. I don’t need another noisemaker.

My driver side hood sat high, and the passenger side sat low after installation. I don’t see why this would be the case unless the struts weren’t identical. No amount of adjustment to the cable tension or hood posts or the entire latch box would completely eliminate this. So I put a sticky-backed 1” diameter felt chair leg floor protector on the left-side landing post, under the frunk tub. This actually solved the problem and evened out the hood alignment.

What became immediately apparent to my wife and I is that the frunk, which we considered pretty useless, is now so easy to use that it is our go-to storage place now. Easy open and close makes this a good purchase for us.

Last edited:
Installed the frunk opener today. It wasn’t difficult, but the online directions are for sh*$. I used Frugal Tesla Guy’s step-by-step video and made it through okay. I wrapped a lot more of the wires than they did and I used a lot of my own zip ties to make everything look nice and neat.

After I got the settings the way I wanted I removed the buzzer. I don’t need another noisemaker.

My driver side hood sat high, and the passenger side sat low after installation. I don’t see why this would be the case unless the struts weren’t identical. No amount of adjustment to the cable tension or the entire latch box would completely eliminate this. So I put a sticky-backed 1” diameter felt chair leg floor protector on the left-side landing post, under the frunk tub. This actually solved the problem and evened out the hood alignment.

What became immediately apparent to my wife and I is that the frunk, which we considered pretty useless, is now so easy to use that it is our go-to storage place now. Easy open and close makes this a good purchase for us.

@Petermcg,

Man I’m hoping this is the case for me as well! I LOATHED using the Frunk and basically haven’t used it in the past year. Closing was the worst.....fingerprints everywhere....pain I the A#& to close........delicate issue. Can’t wait to install this and use it as a ‘go to’ as well! Thanks for the pointers and advice.....Going to attack the Frunk first.....then the Trunk (that looks like a MOFO) the first time.

Ski

Reactions: Petermcg

My driver side hood sat high, and the passenger side sat low after installation. I don’t see why this would be the case unless the struts weren’t identical. No amount of adjustment to the cable tension or hood posts or the entire latch box would completely eliminate this. So I put a sticky-backed 1” diameter felt chair leg floor protector on the left-side landing post, under the frunk tub. This actually solved the problem and evened out the hood alignment.

I have this same issue. I think someone from the manufacture tried responding to my earlier post if you look back in this thread but I’m not sure what they are referencing.

@Petermcg,

Man I’m hoping this is the case for me as well! I LOATHED using the Frunk and basically haven’t used it in the past year. Closing was the worst.....fingerprints everywhere....pain I the A#& to close........delicate issue. Can’t wait to install this and use it as a ‘go to’ as well! Thanks for the pointers and advice.....Going to attack the Frunk first.....then the Trunk (that looks like a MOFO) the first time.

Ski
I agree.
I just finished installing Hansshow automatic frunk and trunk w/ foot sensor. I prefer to store my bag in the frunk, and automatic frunk is super convenient.
IMO, Frunk kit installation is fairly easy.

Reactions: Skione65
I agree.
I just finished installing Hansshow automatic frunk and trunk w/ foot sensor. I prefer to store my bag in the frunk, and automatic frunk is super convenient.
IMO, Frunk kit installation is fairly easy.
Hi, I ordered the Hanshow automatic trunk with foot sensor but I am having issue with fishing the cable to the trunk lid. Apparently, the cable has 2 large plugs and I couldn't figure out how to fish it from the trunk to the lid. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi, I ordered the Hanshow automatic trunk with foot sensor but I am having issue with fishing the cable to the trunk lid. Apparently, the cable has 2 large plugs and I couldn't figure out how to fish it from the trunk to the lid. Any help is greatly appreciated.
I already

Please, check my previous post in this thread.

Frunk Install Fail

Just installed the frunk, which was fairly simple. Most of of the time was spent getting a clean install on the wiring. Then I tried closing the frunk and it will not close enough so that the suction latch can pull the trunk close. Spent hours trying to diagnose the issue, but no luck. The hood closes at the set speed, then at the end sort of bounces as the struts are at the bottom of its range, or shortest length, but the latch has not yet made contact with the locking mechanism.

I have set the strength of the close to the max number 5 (per instructions, close latch with frunk open then press button on unit to change strength to 5). I thought it wasn’t strong enough to close, but it didn’t help.

however, when it closes, the hood stops or hangs up 3 inches so the latch doesn’t engage the lock. I took out all of the frunk plastic liner/parts to ensure nothing was getting in the way of the hood closing. With power disengaged to the hanshow control box, I close the trunk manually, but it stops about 3 inches such that the latch doesn’t touch the locking mechanism. When I look under the hood through the gap, I can see that the struts have bottomed or shortened to its minimum height and keeps the hood from closing further. I can see that nothing else is keeping the hood from closing except for the struts bottoming out. Alyson confirmed the locking mechanism is in the open position to accept the hood latch and the hood is centered properly.

if I force the hood closed, there is a bulge on the side of the hood and the hood does not lay flush. it seems as if the struts are just a tad too long such that it is keeping the hood from going down any further. The only way to get the hood down is to bend the front of the hood down, which then results in a bulge on the sides of the hood.

has anyone had similar issues? The struts are labeled MC-607 model 3_(C)BJ12011 and the other one is the same except the number at the end is 12012. I have a July 2019 model 3, but assume nothing has changed in the build from earlier models.

see picture of where the hood bottoms out due to the struts bottoming out. In have checked to see that nothing else is keeping the hood from closing. The bumpers on the side of the hood are not even close to touching the base of the car.

Attachments

• 9F5B4D2F-06B5-4184-A18D-8D94819997D2.jpeg
    9F5B4D2F-06B5-4184-A18D-8D94819997D2.jpeg
    267.7 KB · Views: 115
Hey guys, interested in a group buy for the trunk w/o foot sensor and frunk kits if one becomes available, maybe for Black Friday! Thanks everyone for sharing their experiences on this subject because your info will help with installation when the time comes.

For the people that did install the foot sensor, is it worth having and do you use it regularly? My SUV has an electric lift gate without a foot sensor and I have never thought to myself that a foot sensor would be beneficial to me. Just wondering if it’s one of those things you never knew you needed/wanted until you got it.

Thanks!

I am also curious about the foot sensor. I have read somewhere that you can get phantom trunk openings while driving, but that does not make sense to me as I thought the trunk could not open when the car is moving regardless whether it is triggered by the foot sensor or the trunk opening button.
Also from what I gather, it does not show the status of the trunk on the app anymore after install, so if you triggered it remotely, you would not know if it is open or not. Correct?

Frunk Install Fail

I close the trunk manually, but it stops about 3 inches such that the latch doesn’t touch the locking mechanism. When I look under the hood through the gap, I can see that the struts have bottomed or shortened to its minimum height and keeps the hood from closing further. I can see that nothing else is keeping the hood from closing except for the struts bottoming out.

What a nightmare! Please don’t force your hood, because once that is bent there is no recovering the original fit and alignment.

By your description it appears your struts need replacing. I would bring your issue to Hanshow and let them make it right.

I’m so sorry what should be a happy time for you with a new feature has turned into such a disappointment. Hopefully, Hanshow will fix this.

What a nightmare! Please don’t force your hood, because once that is bent there is no recovering the original fit and alignment.

By your description it appears your struts need replacing. I would bring your issue to Hanshow and let them make it right.

I’m so sorry what should be a happy time for you with a new feature has turned into such a disappointment. Hopefully, Hanshow will fix this.

@Petermcg,

Hey Peter....just as a follow through by chance can you still see/read the Model/SKU # on your struts? That way we can cross reference them with @HPYC ’s struts. He listed his numbers in his post. I’m thinking HansShow possibly sent him the wrong Model# struts....
i.e. struts for a different car maybe X or S with slightly different dimensions (length)? Or they’re defective (won’t retract fully). So everyone knows I believe we have a 2 year Warranty on these kits.
@HPYC just double check everything in the swing path of the Frunk lid. Nevertheless contact William at HansShow and inquire further. WhatsApp is the best venue I’ve found over email. Hopefully they can help you troubleshoot and or send replacement struts if troubleshooting can’t remedy your issue.

Here’s their contact info:7B98A526-D2C1-475C-AC5F-0ED06B8EDBAE.jpeg

Good Luck!

Ski

Last edited:
I am also curious about the foot sensor. I have read somewhere that you can get phantom trunk openings while driving, but that does not make sense to me as I thought the trunk could not open when the car is moving regardless whether it is triggered by the foot sensor or the trunk opening button.
Also from what I gather, it does not show the status of the trunk on the app anymore after install, so if you triggered it remotely, you would not know if it is open or not. Correct

Yes, it shows rear trunk always closed after the installing the kit.
Hansshow foot sensor is only about 3 inch wide unlike modern 20 - 30 inch OEM vehicle’s.
You need kick the specific spot where the sensor installed. It is a little harder than OEM vehicle’s sensor.
The bumper has to removed and the sensor cables(3 wires) need to be soldered to existing Hanssow positive power wire and two light wires.
It is really up to personal preference.

@Petermcg,

Hey Peter....just as a follow through by chance can you still see/read the Model/SKU # on your struts? That way we can cross reference them with @HPYC ’s struts. He listed his numbers in his post. I’m thinking HansShow possibly sent him the wrong Model# struts....
i.e. struts for a different car maybe X or S with slightly different dimensions (length)? Or they’re defective (won’t retract fully). So everyone knows I believe we have a 2 year Warranty on these kits.
@HPYC just double check everything in the swing path of the Frunk lid. Nevertheless contact William at HansShow and inquire further. WhatsApp is the best venue I’ve found over email. Hopefully they can help you troubleshoot and or send replacement struts if troubleshooting can’t remedy your issue.

Here’s their contact info:View attachment 468138

Good Luck!

Ski
On the topic of trunk struts. Which part number (ending 001 or 002) is for left/right?

I had to go back and fix how my back left light was set in today, it wasn't matching the charge port door very well so easy fix. When I took off the light I noticed that the wire leading to the strut was very crimped from the back of the light. Should we be worried about this?

Also my struts out of the box didn't fit left or right, I had to twist the barrel to line them up so I have no idea if I have the left/right in on the correct side. The plugs are all the same for those four so I'm not entirely sure if it really matters.

Rcs20No.jpg

Thanks to everyone trailblazing on this one - I don't have time to do the install until next weekend, but I appreciate the discussion of all the troubleshooting options.

As an aside, my kit came with fairly slim light blue connectors on the trunk strut wires. They seem like they might be able to make it through without cutting them off...
EDIT: Nevermind...think those are the same for everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skione65