Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GROUP BUY - MCU-1 to MCU-2 Upgrade, Testing interest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took the plunge but not happy about it. I paid just under $120,000 for my MS and missed the MCU2 by the matter of just a few days. My MCU was obsolete before the car was delivered to its owner. I have put up with a poorly functioning or not functioning at all MCU. I have FSD and Tesla installed the new HW3 FSD computer free of charge. After that, the operability of the MCU went from terrible to essentially unusable. I took it in while still under warranty to get it fixed. All they did was clear the cache, reformatted something, which accomplished two things. It got me working, which lasted about three weeks and got me past the end of my mileage warranty. I took the car back again because I took it in while the warranty was still good, and they didn't fix it. Then they said if the screen has to be black and stay that way before they would replace it or replace the "daughterboard." The other issue is the MCU1 visualization, and possibly other functions related to FSD will not work unless I PURCHASED the upgrade to the MCU2, which makes many things work better and fixes other things. Oh, by the way, I lose AM/FM/SiriusXM radio to boot. WTF! Because the old MCU was robbing me of my joy, and every time I got out of the car, I was so pissed, and my blood pressure was through the roof because so many things were erratic beyond all measure. I went ahead and purchased the upgrade and glad I did. I have a car that functions the way it should of when I bought it. Oh and now they have found a way to give us FM Radio and SiriusXM back which is great. But wait, there's more, we have to pay another $500 to get the damn radio back they took away when we paid them $2,500 for the dam upgrade that should have been free to FSD people anyway. I am done venting about this but this is one where I feel like Tesla really screwed over its customers.

MCU upgrade should be free food those of us that prepaid for FSD. I knew a long time ago this myth that FSD would be just fine with MCU1 was a load of BS. We continue to see new FSD features that won't be available to mcu1 cars.

• Love
Reactions: markn455
I took the plunge but not happy about it. ... I am done venting about this but this is one where I feel like Tesla really screwed over its customers.
My June '17 X just missed the MCU2 as well. But so what ... hardware changes ... most of us are thankful that Tesla allows the upgrade at all. They didn't need to do that just like all the other car manufacturers do not upgrade hardware. I was *thrilled* to get the MCU2 upgrade and the $2500 was so so worth it. I'd happily do it again in a heartbeat.

• Informative
Reactions: markn455
My June '17 X just missed the MCU2 as well. But so what ... hardware changes ... most of us are thankful that Tesla allows the upgrade at all. They didn't need to do that just like all the other car manufacturers do not upgrade hardware. I was *thrilled* to get the MCU2 upgrade and the $2500 was so so worth it. I'd happily do it again in a heartbeat.
I also have a June '17 with MCU1, and recently had HW3 installed. I'd love to upgrade to MCU2 but I can't figure out how to order it. It doesn't show up as an option in the shop, and the people at the service center said I was out of luck if it didn't show up there. Am I missing a purchasing option?

Fred

I also have a June '17 with MCU1, and recently had HW3 installed. I'd love to upgrade to MCU2 but I can't figure out how to order it. It doesn't show up as an option in the shop, and the people at the service center said I was out of luck if it didn't show up there. Am I missing a purchasing option?

Fred
Do it via your Tesla phone app ... service option:
LzvqQw3.jpg

Tesla webpage: Infotainment Upgrade
o14OSP6.jpg