Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GTW_W026

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had bms and gtw codes last summer, the rear drive unit triggered an isolation fault.

Was able to drive it for weeks until a replacement was shipped and the SC installed it.

There's threads on how to check the speed sensor for contamination.

GTW_w026:

When I started getting this service warning, ~2 mos ago, I reached out to SC. They said it was related to the battery coolant heater.
But I decided to cancel the trip to SC and look on here.
I've seen other threads saying it could as simple as a loose negative post on the 12V battery. I checked that, not it.

So in the 2 months since the original warning I have been paying attention to when this warning pops up.
At first it seemed random because it wasn't every day. Only seemed happen on my morning commute. (I do schedule preconditioning)

The frequency has started to increase a bit in the last week, but I've isolated it to a particular scenario:
The warning only pops up at the end of regen braking (10 mph), and usually only from +45 mph.
This is normal, gradual braking, not full 100% regen, as I always ease off the gas to lessen the pull a bit (set to standard regen) and lengthen the braking distance.
So slowing from 45+ mph to 10 mph will cause the warning to come up. So far, that's the only time it pops up.

Does anyone know why this particular action would trigger a warning, supposedly related to the coolant heater?
Or does the SC just not know, and gives a reason so they can get the service visit scheduled?

I can try changing the regen to low just to see if it matters, but I do prefer it at standard level.

GTW_w026:

When I started getting this service warning, ~2 mos ago, I reached out to SC. They said it was related to the battery coolant heater.
But I decided to cancel the trip to SC and look on here.
I've seen other threads saying it could as simple as a loose negative post on the 12V battery. I checked that, not it.

So in the 2 months since the original warning I have been paying attention to when this warning pops up.
At first it seemed random because it wasn't every day. Only seemed happen on my morning commute. (I do schedule preconditioning)

The frequency has started to increase a bit in the last week, but I've isolated it to a particular scenario:
The warning only pops up at the end of regen braking (10 mph), and usually only from +45 mph.
This is normal, gradual braking, not full 100% regen, as I always ease off the gas to lessen the pull a bit (set to standard regen) and lengthen the braking distance.
So slowing from 45+ mph to 10 mph will cause the warning to come up. So far, that's the only time it pops up.

Does anyone know why this particular action would trigger a warning, supposedly related to the coolant heater?
Or does the SC just not know, and gives a reason so they can get the service visit scheduled?

I can try changing the regen to low just to see if it matters, but I do prefer it at standard level.

Is regen limited (cold battery and/or high SOC) when the warning pops?

My 13 MS85 couldn't go into D/R for a couple of days as battery contactors would not close. Unplug/replug gen1 DCDC coolant heater plug solved it. I presume it was just a light coat of corrosion that got scraped away during unplug/plug. Gen1 DCDC is in high water intrusion area from windshield run off.

Your 15 70D is gen2 DCDC+Front HV junction box and relocated towards the center of the firewall/bulkhead area. After studying the windshield water run off path, I conclude there is still ample water runoff to where these got relocated to.

If you are familiar and feel safe with disabling deadly HV power to unplug and replug these connectors. Might give it a try. If unfamiliar with HV safety procedure, then probably want to avoid it.

My 13 MS85 couldn't go into D/R for a couple of days as battery contactors would not close. Unplug/replug gen1 DCDC coolant heater plug solved it. I presume it was just a light coat of corrosion that got scraped away during unplug/plug. Gen1 DCDC is in high water intrusion area from windshield run off.

Your 15 70D is gen2 DCDC+Front HV junction box and relocated towards the center of the firewall/bulkhead area. After studying the windshield water run off path, I conclude there is still ample water runoff to where these got relocated to.

If you are familiar and feel safe with disabling deadly HV power to unplug and replug these connectors. Might give it a try. If unfamiliar with HV safety procedure, then probably want to avoid it.
That's probably a little beyond my comfort level. Thanks for the info though.
Plus I probably don't have the setup in my 1-car garage to even reach that area safely.

I don't see a limited regen when the warning shows, no.