Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guess the battery level

How much battery is left?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charged to 80% (car actually showed 79%) on Wednesday morning (during Octopus go) and have travelled 27.2 miles, using 8kwh of juice according to the trip counter.

IMG_4276.jpeg

Car is 3 LR refresh, with mythical 360 mile range. No sentry mode used. Guess the battery level now.

Be good to hear what your car would do for the same conditions too. Thanks.

Last edited:
You could have slept in the vehicle overnight, unplugged, with HVAC on and YouTube blasting for all we know...

If you haven’t done significant idling with the HVAC on since your drive, my guess is 69%.

EDIT: just saw you last charged on Wednesday... new guess is 55%.

You could have slept in the vehicle overnight, unplugged, with HVAC on and YouTube blasting for all we know...

If you haven’t done significant idling with the HVAC on since your drive, my guess is 69%.

EDIT: just saw you last charged on Wednesday... new guess is 55%.

Excellent guesses.. my calcs agree 69% if recently charged but unknown is when that trip was run..if today add 3 days losses ? sentry mode while parked during his trip and then if he looked at residuals while weather really cold then final answer between 55-62%
Need more data!

Excellent guesses.. my calcs agree 69% if recently charged but unknown is when that trip was run..if today add 3 days losses ? sentry mode while parked during his trip and then if he looked at residuals while weather really cold then final answer between 55-62%
Need more data!
It's not designed to be a trick question. Driving has consumed 8kwh hours, one round trip yesterday (19 miles total) and the rest a run to supermarket this morning. That is about 9% battery based on my back of envelope maths. All of the rest of the time the car has been on the drive (not plugged in), just sitting there. No sentry, nothing else being used. I'm not sleeping in the car, no Dutch youtube consumed or Netflix. I did listen to Spotify while driving and had heat seater on 2 bars! In total 77 hours have elapsed since last charge. It's London so raining now, car says 4c. Not sure what other details I can add!!

It's not designed to be a trick question. Driving has consumed 8kwh hours, one round trip yesterday (19 miles total) and the rest a run to supermarket this morning. That is about 9% battery based on my back of envelope maths. All of the rest of the time the car has been on the drive (not plugged in), just sitting there. No sentry, nothing else being used. I'm not sleeping in the car, no Dutch youtube consumed or Netflix. I did listen to Spotify while driving and had heat seater on 2 bars! In total 77 hours have elapsed since last charge. It's London so raining now, car says 4c. Not sure what other details I can add!!

Not suggesting you were playing tricks. I've never really looked thoroughly at how my car (an S ) derives its wh/m - whether it includes the heater/battery warm up uses in that (you'ld think it should) or whether it works out wh/m from motor draws excluding the other stuff. I do know that it's 3 miles of slow country lane to the main road and in that time in winter it uses 8 miles of 'range' just warming itself up. Or if I drive 25 mile round trip to supermarket in summer it does it with 26/27 miles range but in the winter with heater and cold main pack it can use as much as double..more if hanging around in the supermarket queue. At home it uses 1 mile range per day average stationary but i don't have any teslfi type stuff paging it. All those things have a bearing on residual energy.

Not suggesting you were playing tricks. I've never really looked thoroughly at how my car (an S ) derives its wh/m - whether it includes the heater/battery warm up uses in that (you'ld think it should) or whether it works out wh/m from motor draws excluding the other stuff. I do know that it's 3 miles of slow country lane to the main road and in that time in winter it uses 8 miles of 'range' just warming itself up. Or if I drive 25 mile round trip to supermarket in summer it does it with 26/27 miles range but in the winter with heater and cold main pack it can use as much as double..more if hanging around in the supermarket queue. At home it uses 1 mile range per day average stationary but i don't have any teslfi type stuff paging it. All those things have a bearing on residual energy.
It is tricky, the longer trip was preheated for 10mins before leaving, but it was no plugged in. Other trips from cold. The car had the heat pump so should be more efficient in the cold.

I am not unhappy with the energy consumption from driving as shown, around 300whm is fine. My main issue is not driving efficiency but how much electricity the car is using doing nothing.

I am trying to work out whether it’s a software bug causing drain, I have a dud or I have the LG battery pack and that is crap. As car not sleeping I am going with the first option. But Tesla are so (deliberately) unhelpful that it makes me worry it’s a dud.

It is tricky, the longer trip was preheated for 10mins before leaving, but it was no plugged in. Other trips from cold. The car had the heat pump so should be more efficient in the cold.

I am not unhappy with the energy consumption from driving as shown, around 300whm is fine. My main issue is not driving efficiency but how much electricity the car is using doing nothing.

I am trying to work out whether it’s a software bug causing drain, I have a dud or I have the LG battery pack and that is crap. As car not sleeping I am going with the first option. But Tesla are so (deliberately) unhelpful that it makes me worry it’s a dud.

At least you'll appreciate, from the viewpoint of your 'game', why I was asking for more details..
There used to be (should still be) a way of identifying the battery pack version...If mmeory serves there is a sticker somewhere udner a wheel arch in S & X ...????? A web search might identify how ya does that for a 3 unless someone here knows...

..and ya might as well cough up the answer now...

Something not right about your envelope, the battery pack of a LR Model 3 is about 73KWh, so using 8KWh would be 11%

Heating the car and battery from cold takes about 7% in my experience, so I would add that up to 25% used roughly, maybe higher if you pre-conditioned for longer than necessary. From 79% that'll give me 54% or perhaps a little lower

Something not right about your envelope, the battery pack of a LR Model 3 is about 73KWh, so using 8KWh would be 11%

Heating the car and battery from cold takes about 7% in my experience, so I would add that up to 25% used roughly, maybe higher if you pre-conditioned for longer than necessary. From 79% that'll give me 54% or perhaps a little lower

I had assumed 77kwh pack.

It’s the energy expended that I have zero control over that I am trying to get a grip on.

I have no idea why you would use 7% of your battery pre-conditioning for every journey. That seems completely bizarre.

My wife will warm the car for 5 mins sometimes if she remembers, as she likes getting into a warm car. She is oblivious this also heats the battery.

What I am trying to back out of this is whether my battery loss from just sitting on the drive is normal, but I understand that using energy to get the car to do all sort of other things (other than driving) is a major pastime for some!!!!

Its easier to see the loss if you have some non-driving days. For example, most weekends my car is just sitting outside, so I know the loss is just from the car not going to sleep and not heating batteries, pre-warming or whatever.

59% was the correct answer!

11% lost sitting on drive (pedants might argue 9%), that’s in three and a bit days.

Or based on 73kwh pack and 8kwh of use driving that is 6.6kwh drained by car not sleeping.

In my pre-refresh car I never noticed any battery drain at all.

Apologies for sounding like a broken record. Thanks