Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guesses on "token of appreciation" for line waiters tweeted by Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some people in this thread are giving those of us who are simply excited to receive whatever Elon/ Tesla is sending out a hard time. I never expected anything free in addition to my Model 3, and even when I was someone with very little money to throw around I never expected a handout. However, there's nothing wrong with getting excited for a gift that someone surprises you with or says they are going to get for you.

Reactions: ModelX
Reactions: SΞXY P100D
I guess I'll just pose the question from the other thread that no one seems to know. Under what conditions would one be considered a "line waiter"? That will really determine if this is really the actual gift or not.
It's really not that hard to find out.

You know what time each reservation was placed, at which store.

Time 1 - Time 2 < delta

Delta could be large, like 10 minutes to capture everyone. Once the first delta is reached between reservations, you know that the line has ended.

What will they actually do? Who knows

Seems like millennials in action. I'll be thrilled if this is 'all' we get. I was expecting nothing (except the ability to pre-order an awesome car). Probably my biggest pet peeve is people that complain about free stuff.

Hey now, we millennials aren't always to blame ;) . I'd be happy with just the sketch as well, but after Elon tweeted out about something extra for those who waited in line, it does create an expectation. Tesla isn't obligated to fill it by any means, but the expectation for something extra still exists none the less.

Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
tesla-model-3-gift-elon1.png

This feels like the everyone gift to me then. The letter with it states "Thanks for ordering a Model 3" not thanks for standing in a crazy long line.

This feels like the everyone gift to me then. The letter with it states "Thanks for ordering a Model 3" not thanks for standing in a crazy long line.

Agreed.

It was very kind of Elon to even mention something extra for the 115,000 who braved the elements and, often, the lack of bathrooms to stand in line for hours. Not to mention for him to show up at one of the locations as well (Century City). The only reason I anticipate receiving something for waiting in line is because he mentioned it.

Whether that something is (we can always dream) a configurable option at Design Studio time (hey, no shipping or order processing/packing expense - saves trees, right?), some standard marketing item (mug, scale car, cap), or a note makes no difference (can't imagine Elon's going to spend 115 weeks signing 1000 notes/week, however). A lot of people will keep whatever ends up being sent for a long time - the advent of the Model 3 means we will have finally turned the corner for affordable* alt-fuel vehicles, and that's a Big Deal.

* Point taken that $35K is still a lot for a car for a lot of people. Fortunately, in just a couple of years hence, there will be many used Model 3 and, depreciation being depreciation, they'll be available for, just to pick a number, $15K - $20K - and at *that* price point, accounting for no gas/oil change costs, one has to figure that 80% of the population will have the opportunity. Really, at that point it will be more about ubiquitous infrastructure as municipalities play catch-up. Well, that and making a Model Y pickup truck. I bet the Tesla pickup truck will come standard with a rear bumper, too. Ahem.

It was very kind of Elon to even mention something extra for the 115,000 who braved the elements and, often, the lack of bathrooms to stand in line for hours.

Look at it this way. What if Tesla decided to take orders after the reveal and starting with online orders until stores opened next morning. Do you think you would have had the position in line that you have today? I bet not.

So that means you have already been rewarded - if you stood in line, you will receive your car before those of us who ordered during or after the reveal get ours so in that sense your hard work has already been rewarded.

Not trying to say you don't deserve anything else or that you are wrong to expect a special token but my point is you might not realize that Tesla has already rewarded you by giving you the opportunity to be at the front of the queue.