Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guesses on "token of appreciation" for line waiters tweeted by Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think free EAP or FSD has a zero chance of happening. You can’t give 3 reservation holders (even those who stood in line) something for free that people who ordered $120k P100D’s had to pay full price for, as they contributed a lot more to the company’s success with the massive margins they make on them. I’d say the most likely one would be free supercharging for a year or some higher kWh allotment, as people who bought S/X didn’t pay extra for this (even if it’s technically priced in). Anything else is pretty “meh” IMO.

Whats wrong with the model 3 drawing we got in the mail before?? Seems good enough for me. I don't need anything else for waiting in line. I'd rather Tesla not waste any money.
Tesla had to pay for that drawing. They don't have to pay for supercharging.

Local Businesses pay for that as well as the $2000 built into the price of every Model S and X - whether they use it or not.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911

While it was a tongue in cheek comment it does make me wonder, given how much you've gone on about the white paint, is the paint really not as valuable to you as your posts make it appear? If it's not valuable, then why go on and on about it? If it is, then your position of "they are not going to give away something valuable" is in conflict with your position of "they should give away something of value".

I'd be happy with those who came to a Tesla to reserve before the reveal, your Tesla will come to you. Free home delivery for those that reserved in store day 1. I live 230 miles from the nearest Tesla store so I'd be ecstatic by this token.

I agree with most of the comments on here. I really don't expect much as far as a token of appreciation. I was happy just to be a part of the experience. The sketch of the Model 3 was enough. I'm not sure why Elon keeps saying there will be more. Deliver a reliable car in the quickest timeline and most people will appreciate it.

Ok I have been thinking about this. Even though I still would like my Elon Musk bobble head I am wondering if it is something different all together.

Since I think the token are for the line waiters. The people who took off work (I took off 1/2 a day to wait in line) did put in some kind of sacrifice for getting in line. My thought is say Tesla ships several model 3's to each showroom throughout the US and has a mini party where they show you the car and let you sit in it. They might even be able to do this in batches of 100 people or so and have snacks/drinks. I think it would be a nice token and would allow us to see the car before we order. I would be perfectly content with that and I think they could do something pretty nice for about $20/person for each line waiter. Plus most line waiters could easily get back to the showroom they reserved at unless they move or drove hours. This won't work for everyone but it could get most line waiters.

Giving away software costs nothing more than the time to duplicate it. Especially to people who wouldn't have bought it anyway.

For all you software folks. Well just stop working now. Once you write code, its worth nothing after the moment it is written.

Cost is in the creation of widget/product. The concept is called selling widget/product for $ profit. Giving away does cost money in the form of lost revenue/profit.

A car that comes in ahead or on schedule will be the best token of all.

For all you software folks. Well just stop working now. Once you write code, its worth nothing after the moment it is written.

Cost is in the creation of widget/product. The concept is called selling widget/product for $ profit. Giving away does cost money in the form of lost revenue/profit.

A car that comes in ahead or on schedule will be the best token of all.

Not to mention that lost potential sales are actual loss of realized revenue when software is given away to people who might have otherwise paid for it.

Oh, and code maintains itself right? Think I read that somewhere.

While it was a tongue in cheek comment it does make me wonder, given how much you've gone on about the white paint, is the paint really not as valuable to you as your posts make it appear? If it's not valuable, then why go on and on about it? If it is, then your position of "they are not going to give away something valuable" is in conflict with your position of "they should give away something of value".

This isn't the thread for you to discuss paint. I've pretty clearly stated my opinion and it's reasoning in the white paint thread. Go read it.

• Funny
Reactions: SpiceWare
They don't have to pay for supercharging.

Local Businesses pay for that as well as the $2000 built into the price of every Model S and X - whether they use it or not.
I thought that that was destination chargers. You're saying that Tesla doesn't pay anything for the electricity at all of the SCs?

Giving away software costs nothing more than the time to duplicate it. Especially to people who wouldn't have bought it anyway.
You must also think that it's ok to pirate movies since it's only a copy?

You serious? So the time and effort that all those engineers to develop the software is nothing?
Nope....The engineers are done. Tesla has paid the engineers handsomely I'm sure. I'm almost positive that the engineers don't get paid "per car".

The software is owned by Tesla. Tesla can do whatever they want. I'm a software engineer myself. My company owns the software. They can give it away or throw it on the shelf and never use what I wrote. I'm a non factor in the sales department.

My comment is: They can duplicate the software I wrote all they want and give it away. I make no more money nor do they take any money from me. There is no loss on the books of my company if they give my software away. Much of the software I've written has been MD'd anyway.

Anyone want a copy of Windows 3.1? I'm sure Microsoft won't lose a penny off of a copy of it.

I thought that that was destination chargers. You're saying that Tesla doesn't pay anything for the electricity at all of the SCs?

You must also think that it's ok to pirate movies since it's only a copy?
Nope....its illegal. That has nothing to do with money.
If the company who makes the movie wants to give it away.....then all they would have to do is copy it and give it away. If they have exceeded the cost of the movie.....then it will never be a loss....they can do whatever they want.