Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guesses on "token of appreciation" for line waiters tweeted by Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought that that was destination chargers. You're saying that Tesla doesn't pay anything for the electricity at all of the SCs?

You must also think that it's ok to pirate movies since it's only a copy?
Concerning Superchargers.......yes.

Tesla is increasingly able to make businesses pay for the electricity delivered by its Superchargers

Don't you guys remember this article? I've been following this.

Walmart made an interesting comment. - "We would love to install superchargers at our stores at a rate of 100 per store, however the clientele of Tesla owners isn't our focused target group".

I believe we all know what that means. Rich people don't shop at Walmart enough for this endeavor. Just maybe the Model 3 will change things in more ways than what its intended to. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: Kacey Green
Nope....The engineers are done. Tesla has paid the engineers handsomely I'm sure. I'm almost positive that the engineers don't get paid "per car".

The software is owned by Tesla. Tesla can do whatever they want. I'm a software engineer myself. My company owns the software. They can give it away or throw it on the shelf and never use what I wrote. I'm a non factor in the sales department.

My comment is: They can duplicate the software I wrote all they want and give it away. I make no more money nor do they take any money from me. There is no loss on the books of my company if they give my software away. Much of the software I've written has been MD'd anyway.

Anyone want a copy of Windows 3.1? I'm sure Microsoft won't lose a penny off of a copy of it.

I think that the above is a given when you work for someone else. Your creation becomes their creation. A company must grapple with the decision to gift more than a token of appreciation when they go to sell that item to someone else. Correct no loss, but are we working all for the little sisters of the poor? Lost opportunity by gifting token of EAP etc....Could be revenue.

Definition of Token::small or limited but having a symbolic importance:

Is getting an option that costs 14% of car price a token?

Next thing I will hear is all the good will that will be created when EAP, FSD are free for all.

Reactions: Kacey Green
Giving away software costs nothing more than the time to duplicate it. Especially to people who wouldn't have bought it anyway.

Difference Between Economic and Accounting Profit

Garlan, you start off so far from the end it can't be explained in a few sentences on a forum. Businesses aren't out to make accounting profits, though that is what they report. They are out to make economic profits.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Difference Between Economic and Accounting Profit

Garlan, you start off so far from the end it can't be explained in a few sentences on a forum. Businesses aren't out to make accounting profits, though that is what they report. They are out to make economic profits.
Tesla is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

They haven't made an economic profit YET and I believe that they are achieving their ultimate goal and purpose statement. Not that they won't, but there are a ton of things that a businesses have had as their objectives. Its not ALWAYS about profit. I really really believe that if ELON could rocket propel the planet into saving itself from the self destruction that pollutants and such are doing right now....that he would do it without profit in mind.
I have a business where I don't mind breaking even if it continues to do the same. My solar business. Its doing really well and I don't need profit from it. My business is all about bettering the environment and people. I have a job that sustains life.

Most people have a one track mind and its always about money. Thank God money is not how EVERYTHING works.

So unfortunately I see your position as one that needs some expanding and understanding.

I really hope that Elon has someone or people constantly encouraging him that he is doing a fantastic job concerning the environment and Teslas ultimate goal. Here is one of the only CEO's out there being honest with investors ( money hungry ) that their stock is overvalued. Who does that? I'll tell you who. A person who is not simply worried about profit - no matter what kind it is.

With that said.....I don't see Tesla tanking or falling over a cliff by rewarding "people who waited in line" ( Direct quote from ELON on July 28th.) - some 40K people with something that really won't cost them much of anything at all. Does Tesla and Elon really appreciate line waiters as he stated?

Last edited:
Reactions: gavine
Garlan, you've been the one stating it won't hurt their profits, not me. If it isn't about profit, why would you make that part of your argument?
And I still say the mentioned awards/gifts wont hurt Teslas profits. My argument is ( and forever has been )that neither duplicating software nor free supercharging nor a paint other than black will hurt Teslas profits. For goodness sake - they haven't made any profits. I believe the reason the stock went up after this last earnings call is because Tesla didn't lose as much money as predicted.

AND - No I didn't bring up profits. I'm talking about how irrelevant Telsa profits are concerning this topic.

Other people are saying that some of our suggestions as far as awards and gifts are concerned would eat into Teslas profits.

Last edited:
Elon bobblehead in 3... 2... 1...

Garlan, please take your pick ... :cool:

Kamibashi Tesla Credit You Deserve The Original String Doll Gang Keychain Clip | eBay

Oddbobbles Nikola Tesla Bobblehead Statue 2nd Edition Toy Figure Statues, New | eBay

tesla figure | eBay

s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Garlan Garner

Tesla is increasingly able to make businesses pay for the electricity delivered by its Superchargers

Walmart made an interesting comment. - "We would love to install superchargers at our stores at a rate of 100 per store, however the clientele of Tesla owners isn't our focused target group".

I believe we all know what that means. Rich people don't shop at Walmart enough for this endeavor. Just maybe the Model 3 will change things in more ways than what its intended to. LOL

Walmart made an interesting comment. - "We would love to install superchargers at our stores at a rate of 100 per store, however the clientele of Tesla owners isn't our foc
I thought that that was destination chargers. You're saying that Tesla doesn't pay anything for the electricity at all of the SCs?

You must also think that it's ok to pirate movies since it's only a copy?

pirate a movie is a no-no
but i'm all for streaming :cool:

• Love
Reactions: alseTrick
Nope....The engineers are done. Tesla has paid the engineers handsomely I'm sure. I'm almost positive that the engineers don't get paid "per car".

The software is owned by Tesla. Tesla can do whatever they want. I'm a software engineer myself. My company owns the software. They can give it away or throw it on the shelf and never use what I wrote. I'm a non factor in the sales department.

My comment is: They can duplicate the software I wrote all they want and give it away. I make no more money nor do they take any money from me. There is no loss on the books of my company if they give my software away. Much of the software I've written has been MD'd anyway.
Of course the developers don't get paid by the car, but they do get paid. The only way Tesla has of recouping that payment is by charging for the software that was developed. Tesla has determined that that cost will be $5,000, they feel that that is enough to recoup what they paid for initial development, ongoing troubleshooting, and future enhancements (which the customer will not be charged for). Sure they can copy it as many times as they want to for little cost but it isn't the cost of the copying that they need to cover.

As an example, say a company paid a developer $100,000 for some software, then they sold one copy of it for $10 and gave away 1,000 more for free. They are still out $99,990.