Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guesses on "token of appreciation" for line waiters tweeted by Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since some reservations had to be done online where a reservation on March 31st didn't get registered until April 1st, I believe Elon will include reservation completed on April 1st. I believe a reasonable loyalty gift would be unlimited supercharging.
This would limit the financial impact on the company at this time. It would be an even greater gift if he allowed the unlimited supercharging to be transferred to a new Tesla vehicle purchase in the future.

Why would it cost millions? How many people do you think waited in line out of 500K reservations?
There were only 180K reservations on day one and many of those weren't line waiters......they were online reservationists after the reveal.
My guess is that there were fewer line waiters than the number of Model S and X's already sold.

Please make it stop ... another case of unrealistic expectations that will be met with disappointment under the light of reality :cool:

You are right. It has cost much much more than that. How much do you think it costs Tesla to just install a single supercharging station?
No...no...lets not go there. Installing superchargers comes from a different pot of money. First of all, Each Model S and X customer had supercharging built into the price of the car.

Secondly if you listen to the earnings calls....the cost of superchargers came from another source of money.

I have ONLY been talking about the use of the superchargers and how Tesla has been able to get others to help subsides Supercharger use and sometimes Supercharger builds.

Tesla is increasingly able to make businesses pay for the electricity delivered by its Superchargers

Last edited:
I personally hope it is nothing. I think the promise of delivering an awesome electric car at 35k is enough of a thank you. Hell the personalized card was a pretty cool thank you gift also.

Standing in line for hours to put a measly $1,000 doesn't impress me. The early adopters who plucked down 100k for the Roadster and 5k for the Model S unveil are those who should receive a special gift. They made the Model 3 a possibility.

Edit: I am a Model S owner and 3/31 reservation holder btw.

Please make it stop ... another case of unrealistic expectations that will be met with disappointment under the light of reality :cool:
Unrealistic, maybe. When you consider the impact the model 3 reservations made on Tesla as a company, I don't think it is unrealistic for Elon to want to reward the early reservation holders in a big way. I believe the initial model 3 reservation holders propelled the company toward their goal significantly.

I personally purchased Tesla stock for the long term because I believe they will become a powerhouse in sustainable alternative energy.

Included supercharging for the life of the car for we owners who stood in line (7th, thankyouverymuch) to place a deposit sight unseen would a) cost very little since only 7% of those in line that day were owners, and b) persuade me to buy a Model 3 as my 3rd Tesla once AWD becomes available.

Give non-owners some other perk - a 2-year ESA, perhaps.

Otherwise, I remain uncompelled to purchase a Model 3, and my reservation will quite probably go unused, with my deposit refunded.

I'd rather buy a CPO AP1 Model S with, you guessed it, included SCing for the same amount of money - or less. Cars similar to the one I traded in (late 2014 AP1 car) are already selling in the mid-$40s with higher mileage as CPOs.

Thousands. Some stores had over 200 waiting in line. Let's say 10,000 waited in line and they were given free supercharging.

Then let's say, on the low side this would cost Tesla $1,000 per customer over the time they owned the car.

That would be $10M.
How much do you think supercharging costs in electricity? In 13 months with our model x, we've supercharged the equivalent of less than $100. Putting 20,500 miles on the car. I'd have to own it for well over 10 years to get to $1000. I'm sure I'm not average. There are some that obviously supercharge far more often. But I'd guess most use it even less, even if they supercharge a larger percentage of their miles than me. Hmm, I guess if you use CA electric rates instead of Utah, that changes the numbers by about a factor of two to three.

Included supercharging for the life of the car for we owners who stood in line (7th, thankyouverymuch) to place a deposit sight unseen would a) cost very little since only 7% of those in line that day were owners, and b) persuade me to buy a Model 3 as my 3rd Tesla once AWD becomes available.

Give non-owners some other perk - a 2-year ESA, perhaps.

Otherwise, I remain uncompelled to purchase a Model 3, and my reservation will quite probably go unused, with my deposit refunded.

I'd rather buy a CPO AP1 Model S with, you guessed it, included SCing for the same amount of money - or less. Cars similar to the one I traded in (late 2014 AP1 car) are already selling in the mid-$40s with higher mileage as CPOs.
Well now that would be selfish of owners.

Amway....Elon has already set the parameters of the gift.

Qualifcation #1. You must have been a line waiter.

That's just about it.

Well now that would be selfish of owners.

Amway....Elon has already set the parameters of the gift.

Qualifcation #1. You must have been a line waiter.

That's just about it.

Go back and read post 630. Day 1 reservations not just line waiters. Not everyone in the world lives near a SC. I realize you don't care what anyone thinks because you said so above. Elon very much appreciates those that plunked down $1000 sight unseen pre reveal. But he owes you, me and the rest nothing. NOTHING. A small token of appreciation. A small model, a leather key card holder, an inexpensive light jacket, tire inflators kit. Something like this, tops. Free supercharging for life??? Not a chance.

Unrealistic, maybe. When you consider the impact the model 3 reservations made on Tesla as a company, I don't think it is unrealistic for Elon to want to reward the early reservation holders in a big way. I believe the initial model 3 reservation holders propelled the company toward their goal significantly.

I personally purchased Tesla stock for the long term because I believe they will become a powerhouse in sustainable alternative energy.

Another pipe dream... Tesla is already having difficulty expanding the SC network ... wait for the Model 3 tsunami to hit next year :cool:

Reactions: 03DSG
I personally hope it is nothing. I think the promise of delivering an awesome electric car at 35k is enough of a thank you. Hell the personalized card was a pretty cool thank you gift also.

Standing in line for hours to put a measly $1,000 doesn't impress me. The early adopters who plucked down 100k for the Roadster and 5k for the Model S unveil are those who should receive a special gift. They made the Model 3 a possibility.

Edit: I am a Model S owner and 3/31 reservation holder btw.

The arrogance and elitist attitude of Model S and Roadster owners is really something. Sad that Model 3 owners will be looked down upon.

What I would like more than anything is to be able to get the Model 3 in Signature Red. Not interested in any other red (our model S is a bee-yoo-ti-ful pearl white) but that Signature Red... wow... saw it on a Model S at a Supercharger once and wow... just wow. And I'd happily pay the extra charge for the paint... I just would love the option. Can't think of a better "reward" for waiting in line than that... and Tesla wouldn't lose any money on this "thank you" gift! Just having the option to be able to choose Signature Red (and pay for it) would be a dream come true. :)

Reactions: walla2
Now
What I would like more than anything is to be able to get the Model 3 in Signature Red. Not interested in any other red (our model S is a bee-yoo-ti-ful pearl white) but that Signature Red... wow... saw it on a Model S at a Supercharger once and wow... just wow. And I'd happily pay the extra charge for the paint... I just would love the option. Can't think of a better "reward" for waiting in line than that... and Tesla wouldn't lose any money on this "thank you" gift! Just having the option to be able to choose Signature Red (and pay for it) would be a dream come true. :)

Now that's realistic! I would love that. A special option at essentially no cost to Tesla. And for those who don't want sig red possibly FREE SUPERCHARGING FOR LIFE! JK but I couldn't resist.

Last edited: