Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guy wires generator to charge while driving.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be fun to have a couple of aluminum poles like outriggers on a boat that were programmed to seek overhead power lines as you drove down the street.

I'm looking forward to when the streets are energized and the only cars that need batteries are the flying ones.

Reactions: father_of_6
I've been replying to the articles on this. It seems like the video was fake. The engine doesn't have a generator attached to it, nor any wires coming off. No details on the HVDC connections or what DC inverted he used. The whr/mi and range display when driving looks exactly as normal, seemingly indicating no charging while driving. I think this video is all bullshit. No idea why someone would go through this much work to make a fake video. The views are worth that much?

Reactions: airborne spoon
I've been replying to the articles on this. It seems like the video was fake. The engine doesn't have a generator attached to it, nor any wires coming off. No details on the HVDC connections or what DC inverted he used. The whr/mi and range display when driving looks exactly as normal, seemingly indicating no charging while driving. I think this video is all bullshit. No idea why someone would go through this much work to make a fake video. The views are worth that much?
That's really hard to believe. He cut up his $100k+ vehicle, bout a bunch of gear, put a lot of time and labor into planning and machining, just to make a fake video?

It's just hard to understand why someone would do that. No way does one video pay for all of that.

I suspect this is real, but I don't have any evidence to back that up. Perhaps the omitted details you mention are just things he didn't feel the need to include.

That's really hard to believe. He cut up his $100k+ vehicle, bout a bunch of gear, put a lot of time and labor into planning and machining, just to make a fake video?

It's just hard to understand why someone would do that. No way does one video pay for all of that.

I suspect this is real, but I don't have any evidence to back that up. Perhaps the omitted details you mention are just things he didn't feel the need to include.
Yeah, I'm really confused too.

The angles of the video are shady, though. And it doesn't make sense to not show the most difficult parts of the project...

Yeah, I'm really confused too.

The angles of the video are shady, though. And it doesn't make sense to not show the most difficult parts of the project...
Maybe the person who produced the video cut out the "boring" technical parts without understanding how important they were to substantiating the project.

Chopping up an expensive EV to turn it into a hybrid... double-plus ungood.

Failure to complete the project doesn't mandate revealing the mistake. Clicks add up faster when comments and repeat views add to the traffic revenue resulting from shady videos.
I can't imagine this is fake. This guy has built up a reputation as a very innovative, creative and skilled engineer. One of his previous projects was to add jet engines to his Tesla. Check out his Youtube channel. I think he, too, was disappointed with how little electrical power the engine ended up generating.

I can't imagine this is fake. This guy has built up a reputation as a very innovative, creative and skilled engineer. One of his previous projects was to add jet engines to his Tesla. Check out his Youtube channel. I think he, too, was disappointed with how little electrical power the engine ended up generating.
I was skeptical of that one as well, that those tiny engines could produce enough thrust to change anything on the acceleration of a 5,000 lb car... But, I know less about mechanical engineering than electrical engineering....

It would be fun to have a couple of aluminum poles like outriggers on a boat that were programmed to seek overhead power lines as you drove down the street.
It would only be a matter of a few days before the power companies arrived at your door with a warrant for your arrest. This is commonly known as "stealing", like using a pole to lift clothes off your neighbor's clothesline. It may be "fun" but it's a dumb idea.

• Funny
Reactions: father_of_6