Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guys.. don't skip annual inspection.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Meh, seems I have to fix shocks and bearings every 2 years or so on each of my ICE cars :Þ That's a normal wear item caught at our annually mandated inspections.
I can't think of a single car I've ever had that has needed a single wheel bearing replaced. Oldest car I owned was a 91 Camry that I sold in early 2002. IIRC, it had about 90K miles on it. None of the shocks nor struts were ever changed.

My current oldest car is past 11.5 years old but with only about 80K miles on it. Still never had any bearings nor shocks not struts replaced. I had another car from Sept 03 until ~June 2011. Ditto on shocks and struts. My current car is past 4 years old, bought used at the 25 month mark. Ditto on shocks and struts.

The last car we in the family which I recall needing new shocks was an 1986 Olds Cutlass Ciera. I don't recall the mileage but it was under 50K miles, maybe under 40K. The rear tires were cupping. The local tire shop (seemingly honest from all my business with them) said this was due to worn rear shocks. Shocks were replaced and the car went over bumps much better (esp. this one on a hill nearby) and no more cupping.

We have no such thing as mandated inspections other than smog checks for ICEVs.

I don't know. I have 40k miles and 2 years+. Hit a deer so the car went to Tesla for alignment and they did an inspection gratis - they did the seatbelt recall thingy. Otherwise I have had no inspection and only warranty was a loose arm rest at 3 months. My tires were replaced at 40k (right after the deer thing) and were pretty darn even except where the deer got the plastic fender well to rub it.

Oh yeah - the inspection led to gluing the arm rest screws.

Still on original 12V. I did swap out the wiper blades recently.

Teslas do seem to have a little high of a repair issue on suspension parts. Just so fun to drive hard I suspect and so heavy.

Chicagoland vs. Iceland. I think that's your answer ;)

Plus, I always drive old cars. The newest car I've ever owned was half a decade old when I got it. My current two are a 2001 Insight and a 1993 Ford Ranger ;) Buying a new car here, this is a serious exception I'm making with the M3. I've wanted to go electric for way too long. Tried with Aptera and they went under. Take two....
Chicagoland vs Iceland? What difference does that make?

Chicagoland vs Iceland? What difference does that make?

Come to Iceland and get off the Ring Road, you'll see ;)

iceland F road - Google Search

To be fair, I wouldn't be driving the Model 3 on *F roads*, although I do drive my pickup on them. F roads involve driving over lava and through rivers and stuff like that, things that would bottom out or drown a passenger sedan in short order. But once you get off of the main road (Hringvegurinn / the Ring Road) outside of the capitol area, road quality greatly decreases. Even Hringvegurinn is unpaved at one point in the east/northeast (just a small stretch, though). The road leading up to my land is unpaved as well. At least it's not full of corrugations like a lot of unpaved roads.

Last edited:
Come to Iceland and get off the Ring Road, you'll see ;)

iceland F road - Google Search

To be fair, I wouldn't be driving the Model 3 on *F roads*, although I do drive my pickup on them. F roads involve driving over lava and through rivers and stuff like that, things that would bottom out or drown a passenger sedan in short order. But once you get off of the main road (Hringvegurinn / the Ring Road) outside of the capitol area, road quality greatly decreases. Even Hringvegurinn is unpaved at one point in the east/northeast (just a small stretch, though). The road leading up to my land is unpaved as well. At least it's not full of corrugations like a lot of unpaved roads.
Then the original post should read: Don't skip your annual inspection "IN ICELAND".

I looked at pictures of those roads and I'm not sure Tesla's are originally built for those roads in the first place.