Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Half shaft cured my issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the longest time I thought the way my 90D accelerated was normal (on heavy acceleration the car would shudder a little bit) and that the noise in the interior cabin was expected (a turbine type whine). However right before my 50,000 mile mark (where I would lose my warranty) I began to notice a sort of grinding sound that seemed to localize to the front of the car near the middle. Wasn't always reproducible but quite noticeable when it did happen.

So I took it to the dealer to evaluate right away because I didn't know if I would have to pay out of pocket once I hit 50k (ended up at the dealer at 49,950 miles).

Fortunate for me the tech was able to reproduce the sound later (I took one on a test drive and wasn't able to recreate it). Picked up my car the next day and they told me that they replaced both the left and right half shaft.

I will tell you that the way the car drives now is night and day difference. The acceleration (hard or regular) is silky smooth (much like a golf cart now) and there has been a noticeable reduction in the engine turbine whine in the interior cabin (my loaner was a RWD Tesla and when I was driving it I was impressed with how much quieter the cabin was compared to my car originally, but now the gap is much smaller).

I am curious to know if this issue is still considered part of the drivetrain and regardless of the 50k mile mark would have been covered under the 8 yr/unlimited mile warranty. Because of the amount of miles I put (the car is just over 2 yrs old) I didn't feel it was worthwhile to pay for an extended warranty and hopefully that doesn't bite me later.

On another note, I had complained to the tech that the music streaming is so much worse than when I first got the car, with almost every song taking time to load or even worse have a load error pop up. He said that it is a known Tesla issue and will have to be a software update and there is no hardware fix. I am not sure what they did but every song I play now pops up right away and immediately starts playing, basically the way it was when I first got the car. They didn't put any mention of repairing anything etc on the invoice ticket.

The last thing for those who have put a clear body wrap film on your car (I had Xpel full body wrap placed the day I got the car new) but I had noticed that one of my sonar sensors (front passenger) was no longer functioning well (the "white/yellow/red whiskers" seen on the dash would never come on that side. Thought it was hardware issue. Tech tested it and then said there was film over sensor which was removed and now it is engaging properly.

On a side note for my loaner I got a Signature Red Model S which I am about to do a separate post about my thoughts on that.

On another note, I had complained to the tech that the music streaming is so much worse than when I first got the car, with almost every song taking time to load or even worse have a load error pop up. He said that it is a known Tesla issue and will have to be a software update and there is no hardware fix. I am not sure what they did but every song I play now pops up right away and immediately starts playing, basically the way it was when I first got the car. They didn't put any mention of repairing anything etc on the invoice ticket.

There was a reddit post on this yesterday claiming that Tesla *finally* investigated and found some cause of bandwidth congestion that they have since resolved. In browser, fast.com should be 10x faster now, target around 2MB/s (up from 100K or 200K). So, not a software fix.

Here's the scoop on the Slacker problem: [UPDATE/POLL] LTE Throttling Update from Tesla • r/teslamotors

I'm having some grinding noise issues with my front left, under hard acceleration also. I wasn't able to reproduce it when I brought it to the SC, but I think it may have some correlation with temperature. When it's colder, I tend to hear the noise more often. I'm going to try again while it's still cold. I'd hoping its a half shaft issue, so they can replace it and get it back to as you described, smooth hard acceleration (as it should be). Thanks for the post.

Here's the scoop on the Slacker problem: [UPDATE/POLL] LTE Throttling Update from Tesla • r/teslamotors

I'm having some grinding noise issues with my front left, under hard acceleration also. I wasn't able to reproduce it when I brought it to the SC, but I think it may have some correlation with temperature. When it's colder, I tend to hear the noise more often. I'm going to try again while it's still cold. I'd hoping its a half shaft issue, so they can replace it and get it back to as you described, smooth hard acceleration (as it should be). Thanks for the post.

I didn't try it but on reading other people discuss this "milling/grinding noise", they said it was more reproducible when setting the air suspension (if you have it) on high or very high. It accentuates the problem.

And if your car "shudders" when hard accelerating even without the noise, I think it would justify them replacing the half shafts.

You may be right on the cold weather thing as well, mine just started doing it about 3 wks ago and thankfully just made it under the 50k warranty limit (though again I'm not sure if this would have been covered regardless under the 8 yr unlimited warranty for drivetrain)

For the longest time I thought the way my 90D accelerated was normal (on heavy acceleration the car would shudder a little bit) and that the noise in the interior cabin was expected (a turbine type whine). However right before my 50,000 mile mark (where I would lose my warranty) I began to notice a sort of grinding sound that seemed to localize to the front of the car near the middle. Wasn't always reproducible but quite noticeable when it did happen.

So I took it to the dealer to evaluate right away because I didn't know if I would have to pay out of pocket once I hit 50k (ended up at the dealer at 49,950 miles).

Fortunate for me the tech was able to reproduce the sound later (I took one on a test drive and wasn't able to recreate it). Picked up my car the next day and they told me that they replaced both the left and right half shaft.

I will tell you that the way the car drives now is night and day difference. The acceleration (hard or regular) is silky smooth (much like a golf cart now) and there has been a noticeable reduction in the engine turbine whine in the interior cabin (my loaner was a RWD Tesla and when I was driving it I was impressed with how much quieter the cabin was compared to my car originally, but now the gap is much smaller).

I am curious to know if this issue is still considered part of the drivetrain and regardless of the 50k mile mark would have been covered under the 8 yr/unlimited mile warranty. Because of the amount of miles I put (the car is just over 2 yrs old) I didn't feel it was worthwhile to pay for an extended warranty and hopefully that doesn't bite me later.

The last thing for those who have put a clear body wrap film on your car (I had Xpel full body wrap placed the day I got the car new) but I had noticed that one of my sonar sensors (front passenger) was no longer functioning well (the "white/yellow/red whiskers" seen on the dash would never come on that side. Thought it was hardware issue. Tech tested it and then said there was film over sensor which was removed and now it is engaging properly.

On a side note for my loaner I got a Signature Red Model S which I am about to do a separate post about my thoughts on that.
Hello,
I have the same problem with my car, can you tell me if you know, what do you mean by right and left shaft? which shafts and where are they located?
my service center said that the noise is normal but, Ive driven a few loaners and they do not make any noise.
thank you.

You may be right on the cold weather thing as well, mine just started doing it about 3 wks ago and thankfully just made it under the 50k warranty limit (though again I'm not sure if this would have been covered regardless under the 8 yr unlimited warranty for drivetrain)

There is no "drivetrain" warranty. The 8 year/unlimited mileage warranty is on the battery and the drive unit. I doubt the drive unit includes the half-shafts.

I have the same problem with my car, can you tell me if you know, what do you mean by right and left shaft? which shafts and where are they located?

The half shafts are the drive shafts that go from the motor/differential to the wheels. (They have CV joints on them.)

There is no "drivetrain" warranty. The 8 year/unlimited mileage warranty is on the battery and the drive unit. I doubt the drive unit includes the half-shafts.

So true, I remember writing a scathing response about the warranty to someone here and having to edit it heavily or delete it when I realized that distinction (luckily I noticed before I submitted or left it up for more than a couple of seconds). So many other cars have drive train warranties you just assume it is when you see Tesla's drive unit warranty. The eyes see what they want to see.

So take my informative rating and laugh at my prior mistake.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Had my half shafts replaced on my March 17 build at 6k miles, they put on the latest version of the parts at that time, the ones with part numbers ending with “B”. The shudder is back 10k miles later, 16k miles. These things don’t even last as long as a cabin air filter!

I wonder if they have updated them again, version “C” maybe??

Has anyone heard of a more permanent fix yet for this issue?

Picking up new S this coming Wednesday. Seeing all the half-shaft issues reported I wonder if there is any correlation to how aggressively owners accelerate. Can the shafts/bearings take the high load over time?
More directly....will shafts last longer/have lower failure rate with "chill" type use vs rapid accel?
Just guessing here....

My P90D has 20K miles and has this shudder on hard acceleration even when not in Ludi mode. As I read here it sounds like it could very well be a half shaft issue. Does anyone know if these parts can be removed and new bearings pressed on that would allow that part to be replaced back in the vehicle? Do they have to be done in pairs? what is the relative cost of the parts?

Bump. I have a mid ‘17 100D that was a demo car. It’s had the grinding/vibration under hard acceleration from day 1 which is why I thought it was normal for D models. It’s slowly gotten worse so I decided to come here and now see I’m not alone. My ‘13 S85 had rear half shafts go out twice. Now it’s the front half shafts on newer models? Tell me they’ve found a solution.