Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hamburger discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw this company on LinkedIn yesterday and they were intriguing enough to take a longer look at. A high percentage of the patty is wheat-based and potato-based. I could not verify that they were using organic wheat or organic potatoes in their ingredients and will be inquiring about this on LinkedIn. While the shift from animal-based products to plant-based products drastically reduces Carbon Footprint and Global Impact, if the end result from a health perspective is trading antibiotics & growth hormones for the highly-intensive herbicides and pesticides used in large-scale non-organic wheat and potato production then the consumer has gained little IMHO. Not only do some of the wheat farmers here in Idaho, Washington, and Eastern Oregon still use wheat seeds coated in glyphosate and then apply glyphosate again shortly after emergence to control weeds on this GMO crop, they have recently began applying glyphosate at the end of the lifecycle of the wheat crop to ensure that all of the wheat 'dies and dries' at a similar rate and at a predicted time for harvesting. I am hopeful that Tesla can encourage the use of fully Organic products in any endeavor they chose to undertake in this arena. Solar power and EV's are good for the health of people & the planet. And so is a clean, healthy organic food source.

On a good note.....malt barley that has been sprayed with pre-harvest glyphosate is supposedly not an acceptable product for beer production.

I went and tried one of their burgers and liked it, so I liked their page on FB and sent them a message and this was their response:

The Impossible Burger is not organic. Impossible Foods is committed to using sustainable, scalable, and high-quality ingredients -- and we are flexible in our sourcing so that we can keep reducing our environmental footprint whenever better options become available.

We do screen our product for pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides. While we cannot guarantee that there are no trace pesticides present, our testing has revealed that there are either no residues, or, when a residue has been found, it was well below the safety limits established by the World Health Organization. To date, no glyphosate has been detected.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have additional feedback. We’re continually working to improve our product and we love to hear from our fellow burger lovers. If you think it’s perfect as it is, we also appreciate you sharing that with your friends

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rarity
I went and tried one of their burgers and liked it, so I liked their page on FB and sent them a message and this was their response:

Thank you very much for posting a follow up @ggies07. They have still not yet responded to me on LinkedIn. I am not on Facebook (that is the only 1% group I am a part of....ha!). Glad to hear you enjoyed their product. It is a great step in the right direction for the planet, and for the collective consciousness in my opinion. While it is a little disappointing that they do not have a fully organic-non GMO product yet, it is a good start. I sincerely hope they make an effort to get there, and perhaps it is through inquiries like yours that they get there eventually. I am curious about their comment that 'to date, no glyphosate has been detected'. Not sure what that means. Since we live in the middle of Big Agriculture company we had hoped to get our well water tested. Turns out there was only one place in the country that we could find that had offered those services, and they were 'making some changes' at the moment and couldn't test for it. Read into that what you will.

While I am always on the hunt for a great beer in our travels, our beer purchases tend to lean towards the companies that brew in locations with less susceptible contamination to their water from Ag or other sources. For instance, would anyone in their right mind at this point in time brag about a beer that was brewed with water from the confluence of the Missouri and Mississippi rivers in St Louis Missouri? Or Milwakuee? Or in parts of Colorado where they can set their tap water from their wells on fire as a result of all the fracking activity there? That must be some GOOD beer! And while I really enjoy some of the Hood River and Portland area microbreweries.......show me the ones whose brewery water source aquifer isn't recharged by all the Ag runoff in the Columbia River. After my father went through stage-4 lymphoma cancer as a Nebraska farmer applying all the chemicals that are now ubiquitous in much of our water and food supplies, food/drink quality has moved from a topic of interest to a topic of concern for us. We are glad to be able to raise almost all the food we eat organically at home.

In Canada (not sure about the US), A&W started selling a “Beyond Meat Burger” a few weeks ago. Very highly recommended! Tastes just as good as their meat burger (actually kind of tastes like a Whopper from Burger King) but is 100% vegetable. It has the meat flavor that I assume Impossible Burger has too (haven’t tried them yet - not in Canada yet).