Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hamburger discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Reciprocity

Feb 27, 2017
Chicagoland
My theory is that people believe Tesla will get into chained restaurant business too. That's another 140 billions on top of what's already undervalued car/energy/AI business. To the next McDonald's :p
Elon Musk on Twitter

Elon just needs to buy In-N-Out. Its owned by one person and most of the country does not have access as they are mostly in the West. Oh wait.. Cows exhale and fart so eating them in large numbers is bad for the environment so I am not sure if the synergies are there, but I still love the idea.

My theory is that people believe Tesla will get into chained restaurant business too. That's another 140 billions on top of what's already undervalued car/energy/AI business. To the next McDonald's :p
Elon Musk on Twitter

Elon just needs to buy In-N-Out. Its owned by one person and most of the country does not have access as they are mostly in the West. Oh wait.. Cows exhale and fart so eating them in large numbers is bad for the environment so I am not sure if the synergies are there, but I still love the idea.
We have a restaurant and it’s the least appreciated service possible. All you get is complaints and headaches from staff and customers with the lowest profits. Hope to God Elon does not go into this line of business. I have a nice restaurant in a nice mall, Oakbrook Center, to sell him.

We have a restaurant and it’s the least appreciated service possible. All you get is complaints and headaches from staff and customers with the lowest profits. Hope to God Elon does not go into this line of business. I have a nice restaurant in a nice mall, Oakbrook Center, to sell him.

You clearly have never seen an In-N-Out. You probably have seen a portilos. Just imagine that with the line 2x as long and the orders taking half as long to fill. I dont think he will buy not because its not a good idea, but because they wont sell. That business must be cash machine and its privately held, so no annoying share holders.

• Informative
Reactions: Jo-
Don’t have those here. Are they like a Sonic Drive-In where you pull your car into a stall?

Don’t have those here. Are they like a Sonic Drive-In where you pull your car into a stall?

No. More like a traditional burger joint but like it was bought from the past into the future. The menu is very basic. Everything is fresh. The fries are cut right in front of you. Meat never frozen. But a very basic burger with fries, shakes, fried onions and special sauce. No salads, no nuggets, no Apple pies.. just the basics. Prices are great, similar to McDonald's but quality and freshness are 100x better. No weird additives on the meat like tons of salt and sugar... Yes fast-food places add sugar to the meat, tough more like high fructose corn syrup.

Really the best burgers you can get for a reasonable price. 5 guys is maybe a better burger, but 2-3x the price. Not worth it. It's literally McDonald's pricing but super high quality, basic burgers and fries. Everything is fresh.

It's pretty straightforward to include vegetarian options in a burger menu. This would go a long way toward offsetting environmental concerns. It's up to the customer to decide.

I forgot to mention that, as a vegetarian Tesla owner, I have a vested interest in seeing that vegan and vegetarian options are included. Presently, not all Superchargers have adequate vegetarian food within walking distance.

Impossible Foods is a new "hamburger meat" manufacturer that has succeeded in making a tasty burger patty that cooks and tastes pretty darn close to beef, and is totally sustainable, environmentally. And it's a Californian company. Would be a no-brainer for them to get served at a Tesla Supercharger restaurant.
www.impossiblefoods.com
Impossible Foods (@ImpossibleFoods) | Twitter

Impossible Foods is a new "hamburger meat" manufacturer that has succeeded in making a tasty burger patty that cooks and tastes pretty darn close to beef, and is totally sustainable, environmentally. And it's a Californian company. Would be a no-brainer for them to get served at a Tesla Supercharger restaurant.
www.impossiblefoods.com
Indeed, there are quite a number of veggie patties on the market. Some are better than others, but that's a matter of taste. Many don't really aim at tasting like meat. Personally, if an analogue tries to be too much like real meat, it tends to gross me out. In principle, a restaurant could offer a variety of veggie patties to create distinctive tastes.

Reactions: Cascadian
www.impossiblefoods.com

I saw this company on LinkedIn yesterday and they were intriguing enough to take a longer look at. A high percentage of the patty is wheat-based and potato-based. I could not verify that they were using organic wheat or organic potatoes in their ingredients and will be inquiring about this on LinkedIn. While the shift from animal-based products to plant-based products drastically reduces Carbon Footprint and Global Impact, if the end result from a health perspective is trading antibiotics & growth hormones for the highly-intensive herbicides and pesticides used in large-scale non-organic wheat and potato production then the consumer has gained little IMHO. Not only do some of the wheat farmers here in Idaho, Washington, and Eastern Oregon still use wheat seeds coated in glyphosate and then apply glyphosate again shortly after emergence to control weeds on this GMO crop, they have recently began applying glyphosate at the end of the lifecycle of the wheat crop to ensure that all of the wheat 'dies and dries' at a similar rate and at a predicted time for harvesting. I am hopeful that Tesla can encourage the use of fully Organic products in any endeavor they chose to undertake in this arena. Solar power and EV's are good for the health of people & the planet. And so is a clean, healthy organic food source.

On a good note.....malt barley that has been sprayed with pre-harvest glyphosate is supposedly not an acceptable product for beer production.

I saw this company on LinkedIn yesterday and they were intriguing enough to take a longer look at. A high percentage of the patty is wheat-based and potato-based. I could not verify that they were using organic wheat or organic potatoes in their ingredients and will be inquiring about this on LinkedIn. While the shift from animal-based products to plant-based products drastically reduces Carbon Footprint and Global Impact, if the end result from a health perspective is trading antibiotics & growth hormones for the highly-intensive herbicides and pesticides used in large-scale non-organic wheat and potato production then the consumer has gained little IMHO. Not only do some of the wheat farmers here in Idaho, Washington, and Eastern Oregon still use wheat seeds coated in glyphosate and then apply glyphosate again shortly after emergence to control weeds on this GMO crop, they have recently began applying glyphosate at the end of the lifecycle of the wheat crop to ensure that all of the wheat 'dies and dries' at a similar rate and at a predicted time for harvesting. I am hopeful that Tesla can encourage the use of fully Organic products in any endeavor they chose to undertake in this arena. Solar power and EV's are good for the health of people & the planet. And so is a clean, healthy organic food source.

On a good note.....malt barley that has been sprayed with pre-harvest glyphosate is supposedly not an acceptable product for beer production.
Will you let us know if you get an answer about the organic products or at least PM me? .....

Looks like we need a separate "Burger Joint" thread ;)

In the case of Impossible Foods, it can join the thread on other investment ideas.

Though not public yet, quite a few parallels to Tesla. A Stanford U scientist (well Elon was heading towards being one) leading a Silicon Valley team in a first principles (analyzing at a molecular level why meat tastes as it does and then sourcing those key components from plants) rather than an analogy approach (all the existing products... hmm, we’ll make a hamburger shaped patty with some vegetables) re what a meat replacement can be, starting with putting expensive low volume production in a high end product (ie restaurant served burgers) with long term goal to be produced in volumes for mass market affordable distribution (supermarket sold packs of burgers), environmental mission (plant vs animal food sourcing impact on resources) and finally, amid rave reviews attacked in NY Times prompting a CEO blog post rebuttal calling NY Times piece bogus.

fwiw, Google tried to buy them out a couple of years ago for $200-300 million, and that was before the product launched only about a year ago. That brings up yet another Tesla parallel. The CEO founder would not and will not ever sell, because,

“ “The company is defined by a mission that - no matter how much someone who wants to acquire the company may say they believe in it - no one believes in it with the commitment that we do, and we're not going to put it at risk," Brown says.”

Last edited:

I doubt the family would sell, even after all the untimely deaths. But more importantly, it is owned by Christians. That would be a massive PR problem for Elon. They could publicly disavow links to Christianity, but then perhaps lose their panache that is unique to the world of fast food. They also have strong ties to classic hot rod and drag racing culture, another politically incorrect situation.

And there is the problem that In-and-Out actually makes money. KIDDING!!! :-D

I doubt the family would sell, even after all the untimely deaths. But more importantly, it is owned by Christians. That would be a massive PR problem for Elon. They could publicly disavow links to Christianity, but then perhaps lose their panache that is unique to the world of fast food. They also have strong ties to classic hot rod and drag racing culture, another politically incorrect situation.

And there is the problem that In-and-Out actually makes money. KIDDING!!! :-D

Christians buy cars to, in fact most of the cars sold in America are to Christians. I don't believe Elon or Tesla is anti Christian. I also don't believe in-n-out would sell either. If they where only in it for the fat payout they would have franchised long ago. Maybe they could but Ruby's instead, much cheaper and already a 50s style burger joint. More then likely they will just partner with many different types of providers and match them to the location and size, and just charge rent. Much less profit, but much less risk.