Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hankook new iON tire, an "EV" tire (not the same as Kinergy GT)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just ordered Hankook ions for my 2022 Model X. Have the 22” wheels and the DWS 06 plus tires are loud. Hollow and whirring noise, didn’t think it was the DWS on my previous car until I put a new set on the new car, same noise on both. Can’t wait to put the Ions on. Will provide feedback on them once I do.
Please post back initial feedback once you get these installed, I’m also contemplating them on my 2022 Model X with 20” wheels and wanting to replace those horribly loud Conti LX OEM tires. Our X is loud inside!!

I went ahead and ordered a set of 19" Ion Evo AS tires from my local Discount Tire. I called the store to price match Walmart yesterday (the price has gone up to $210.67 per tire there). I just got a call from them a few minutes ago saying that the tires arrived. Going in on Monday to have them installed (or earlier if I can). The price is going to come out to around $1,000, including installation and taxes, and tire disposal fees.

Reactions: IronQQQ
I’ve done some apples to apples comparisons and they show a slight advantage for the Hankooks over the OEM rubber.

On May 4th, went to see Guardians of the Galaxy V3 with my son. On the way home (a mix of highway and surface streets), I averaged 50 mph and hit a max of 85 mph over 12.4 miles. This was around 10 o’clock at night with minimal traffic. 221 wh/mile according to Tessie.

The exact same trip, at roughly the same time last night after Across the Spider Verse. Averaged 50 mph, 82 mph max, minimal traffic: 217 wh/mile.

I’ll need to do more testing, but the quietness alone of the tires (even on the highway) is like night and day, and we’ll worth the upgrade.

Also forgot to mention that I applied for the $100 rebate, which will take my total out of pocket cost below $1,000.

Reactions: ss71
I’ve done some apples to apples comparisons and they show a slight advantage for the Hankooks over the OEM rubber.

On May 4th, went to see Guardians of the Galaxy V3 with my son. On the way home (a mix of highway and surface streets), I averaged 50 mph and hit a max of 85 mph over 12.4 miles. This was around 10 o’clock at night with minimal traffic. 221 wh/mile according to Tessie.

The exact same trip, at roughly the same time last night after Across the Spider Verse. Averaged 50 mph, 82 mph max, minimal traffic: 217 wh/mile.

I’ll need to do more testing, but the quietness alone of the tires (even on the highway) is like night and day, and we’ll worth the upgrade.

Also forgot to mention that I applied for the $100 rebate, which will take my total out of pocket cost below $1,000.
Highway quietness is what I want most.

Reactions: sundaydrive

The May 4th trip was on the worn OEM tires?

That makes the results even more impressive as I've found new tires to easily be 10% less efficient or worse for the first thousand miles or so.

Reactions: DrChaos
The May 4th trip was on the worn OEM tires?

That makes the results even more impressive as I've found new tires to easily be 10% less efficient or worse for the first thousand miles or so.
Yes, those were the worn down OEM tires on the May 4th trip vs the new Hankooks last night.

Like I said, everything was about perfectly even for both trips. Same time, same traffic: same amount of weight (myself and my son), same average speed, same exact distance, similar temps outside and inside the car, and same PSI all around (42 psi).

Reactions: DrChaos and Dave EV
I just bought these tires and the lateral grip is horrific. Noise level wasn't great either. The one thing it seemed to do especially well was straight line acceleration, it felt amazing. Overall couldn't handle the lack of lateral grip and had DT swap it out for Pirelli All Season Plus Elect tires, so much better.
Im sad to see this. Im running PSAS4s and would like less noise, but I can spin all 4 of them and would also like better traction. Im very leery.

Im sad to see this. Im running PSAS4s and would like less noise, but I can spin all 4 of them and would also like better traction. Im very leery.
I would not base your decision on any one or a few reviews on this forum. For example, I have about 1600 miles on these Hankook’s and definitely do not get any spinning of the tires during full/hard launches and/or very aggressive maneuvering/turns. I certainly do not track my vehicle, but do like to take it on spirited drives on more than a few occasions. I can’t imagine needing better grip than what these Hankook’s already provide. So, really do not know how/why anyone would say these Hankook’s do not have good/sufficient grip.

So, unless you track your vehicle and are looking for/needing something with ultimate grip, I don’t think you‘ll be disappointed with these Hankook’s. Fortunately, we have many options when it comes to tires.

I would not base your decision on any one or a few reviews on this forum. For example, I have about 1600 miles on these Hankook’s and definitely do not get any spinning of the tires during full/hard launches and/or very aggressive maneuvering/turns. I certainly do not track my vehicle, but do like to take it on spirited drives on more than a few occasions. I can’t imagine needing better grip than what these Hankook’s already provide. So, really do not know how/why anyone would say these Hankook’s do not have good/sufficient grip.

So, unless you track your vehicle and are looking for/needing something with ultimate grip, I don’t think you‘ll be disappointed with these Hankook’s. Fortunately, we have many options when it comes to tires.
I have to echo this. In my few hundred miles with the tires, I've had no trouble with grip/cornering or breaking the rear wheels loose under hard acceleration. But then again, I don't drive like an ass, either. :D

I live in the 'burbs, and we have backroads with long, winding curves mixed with straight, stop-and-go traffic. The tires work just fine for those needs. If you're a wannabe Max Verstappen, then maybe you want to go with a high-performance summer or all-season tire.

As I mentioned early in thread been happy with the ION's on our RWD 2017 Model 3. About 6% less than rated for us. At 2500 miles. The 3 is our around town and 17 year old drivers car. Son also gets rated on them which is surprising, but knowing him maybe not so much. Sound was the biggest notice for me.

Just ordered them for Model S, and should have next week. Discount Tire matched, and did installation for $17, not $17 per tire. I even mentioned it, they said have a nice day. :)

Reactions: Dave EV

I know my PSAS4s are what Id consider bare minimum. On launches, all 4 spin, and on corner exit, the back end steps out if Im hamfisted with it or just hooning around. If the Ions are less grippy by much at all, it would suck.

I know my PSAS4s are what Id consider bare minimum. On launches, all 4 spin, and on corner exit, the back end steps out if Im hamfisted with it or just hooning around. If the Ions are less grippy by much at all, it would suck.
Those PSAS4’s must really suck (or badly worn) if they spin during hard launches. I have a M3P, and have never experienced any type of spin on either the OEM Conti ProContacts or on these new Hankook’s, under any extreme condition/loading/torque.

Reactions: DrChaos
I assume you think the MXM4s are unusable garbage then?

If PSAS4s are a 'bare minimum' then your performance desires exceed almost every one else's here. Summer max performance tires seem more up your needs, and really you should probably be driving a Porsche 911 or Cayman, as used in actual competitive motor sports.

Here I think the rest of us are just trying to have a bit of fun on middle aged commuting and otherwise enjoy the drive. From the reports here, Hankook iON equal efficiency new as worn MXM4s is extraordinarily good---up to now, no tire has improved upon MXM4 for efficiency consistently, though many are better in other criteria.

Those PSAS4’s must really suck (or badly worn) if they spin during hard launches.
If it's a dry road, tread being worn shouldn't hurt grip unless it's so dangerously worn you're driving on the steel belts (which wouldn't last very long). Treads are there for not spinning in the rain. Dry grip is better with more, flatter rubber---after all, race cars use slick flat tires in dry conditions for maximum grip friction. More area touching the road = more grip.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave EV
….
If it's a dry road, tread being worn shouldn't hurt grip unless it's so dangerously worn you're driving on the steel belts (which wouldn't last very long). Treads are there for not spinning in the rain. Dry grip is better with more, flatter rubber---after all, race cars use slick flat tires in dry conditions for maximum grip friction. More area touching the road = more grip.
Oops. You are correct, of course. I misspoke in my previous post. In general, more tread should actually equate to less grip on flat/dry roads, since there would be less rubber/tire contact with the road. This is why all tires designed specifically for drag strips/races are completely flat and have no tread.

Please post back initial feedback once you get these installed, I’m also contemplating them on my 2022 Model X with 20” wheels and wanting to replace those horribly loud Conti LX OEM tires. Our X is loud inside!!
Installed it today on my 2022 Model X and will confirm it is dead quiet. DWS 06 was a lot louder ride. Almost feels like you’re riding on 20’s instead of 22’s. Love it!