Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hankook new iON tire, an "EV" tire (not the same as Kinergy GT)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 18i version of the Hankook ION evo AS are on a good sale at Walmart right now. I am checking with Discount Tire to see if they will price match.
View attachment 995758
Discount Tire has always been really good about price matching with me. That really is a fantastic deal for these tires. I have been using these 235/45/18 tires for almost 6 months now on my 2022 Model 3 Performance.

My average wh/mi started dropping almost immediately. I averaged 253 Wh/mi with the Pirelli PZ4 tires I had before and now I am down to 238 Wh/mi for November with the Hankook AS tires. That is a 6% improvement over what was pretty good efficiency before.

IMG_5803.jpeg

IMG_5804.jpeg

Hi everyone, any word on the curb rash protection on both the standard iON evo tires and the AS version? There's not much actual information about these tires around the internet yet, and since I'm in Europe, curb rash protection is pretty much a hard requirement.

Hi everyone, any word on the curb rash protection on both the standard iON evo tires and the AS version? There's not much actual information about these tires around the internet yet, and since I'm in Europe, curb rash protection is pretty much a hard requirement.
Honestly, “curb rash protection” is a myth for tires. How is the flexible rubber of a tire going to protect your rim against hitting a concrete curb with 4,000+ lbs of weight behind it?

Don’t buy tires to protect your wheels. Put wheel guards on it if you really can’t prevent yourself from running into curbs.

A centimeter of hard rubber with maybe some steel behind it might be rugged enough for "gentle parking scrapes" that might otherwise scuff a wheel, but I agree no tire is going to protect against a "oops, I whacked the curb" situation. The rubber and the air behind it will yield and the wheel will make contact.

(waiting for warmer weather so I can use my Zink wheel repair kit on my right rear)

Reactions: XPsionic
Honestly, “curb rash protection” is a myth for tires. How is the flexible rubber of a tire going to protect your rim against hitting a concrete curb with 4,000+ lbs of weight behind it?

Don’t buy tires to protect your wheels. Put wheel guards on it if you really can’t prevent yourself from running into curbs.
The Vredesteins that I used to have protruded out quite a bit, and I think they reduce curb rash when parking. If the tire hits first, you get feedback and immediately stop. If the wheel hits first you also get feedback, but at that point it's too late.

Reactions: TimTam and Dave EV

Nah, it does works for slow speed, shallow angle approaches like when you softly mess up a parallel parking job. I have a couple of cars with Michelin pilot sport tires with the lip, they stick out enough, like 3/4 inch, to make a difference. Not gonna help if you drive over a curb, but definitely will save the wheel from scratches in most parking situations if you're about to lightly rub against the curb.

They make installation a bit of a b.... though, low profile + stiff sidewalls that's even thicker due to the lip.

Reactions: jsight
Currently I have 42,000 miles on my Model 3 AWD, all 4 of the hankook tires that came with the car are still hanging above 3-4mm, I was strict with my rotations. I did them myself every 7500 miles. I am gonna end up well over 50,000 miles with these hankook tires.

My W/h are around 249. If I drive the day in chill I can hover around 200 w/h which is exactly what you need to get max EPA or more. In standard mode as long as humidity is low and weather above 45 degrees I get around 220 w/h per day. Thats going the speed limit or within 10 MPH of the speed limit.

not sure if they are ion- they came stock with my 2023 M3 AWD.

Reactions: Tinkerin
Currently I have 42,000 miles on my Model 3 AWD, all 4 of the hankook tires that came with the car are still hanging above 3-4mm, I was strict with my rotations. I did them myself every 7500 miles. I am gonna end up well over 50,000 miles with these hankook tires.

My W/h are around 249. If I drive the day in chill I can hover around 200 w/h which is exactly what you need to get max EPA or more. In standard mode as long as humidity is low and weather above 45 degrees I get around 220 w/h per day. Thats going the speed limit or within 10 MPH of the speed limit.

not sure if they are ion- they came stock with my 2023 M3 AWD.
If you bough a US car then they aren't the iON they are an older Kinergy GT tire, which doesn't generally have great reviews, though Tesla no doubt got a special OEM version. I suspect there were supply chain issues with Michelin so they needed a second supplier.

The iON should be a step up in performance over Kinergy GT or Michelin MXM4 (an old Michelin design), whether ride, noise or efficiency. They are standard now for Chinese made Model 3s with the 19" wheel, though in summer form.

If you bough a US car then they aren't the iON they are an older Kinergy GT tire,which doesn't generally have great reviews
The Kinergy GT installed on Tesla Model 3 is the quietest tire. Don’t rely on reviews on Tirerack or elsewhere. They are biased.

I got a set installed from Discount Tires and they are very quiet. Same as ones that came factory installed.

What about the summer version of the ION? Will that ever be sold in the USA?
It already is. Just not at Discount Tire or Tire Rack for unknown reasons.

It already is. Just not at Discount Tire or Tire Rack for unknown reasons.

They’re not on Discount Tire’s website yet, but I got a set at DT nonetheless.

Reactions: DrChaos