Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow 6.86" Mini dash display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny you should say this. I ordered the 6.86" display from aliexpress last month (opted to not get the camera so the install was easier). The product advertises OTA updates and I didn't get any instructions on how to get updates so I reached out to the seller to ask how I can get them. They replied "The manufacturer said that promotion does not mean that the upgrade has already been launched. We need to wait for the final testing by the engineering department before notifying the customer of the update. Expected 6.86 inch new product with Carplay in August". The chat in aliexpress says it was translated from Chinese so I'm not clear on if that means the device can be updated to have carplay or if they are launching an entirely new product with carplay. Either way it seems like we'll know that pretty soon if that August timeline is accurate.
Hmm- so maybe I should wait a bit before ordering. I am about to pull the trigger on this item. My wife wants me to go through Hansshow given the 1 year warranty versus Ali Express‘s 75 days.

considering this unit was just released early June, its Hard to imagine an updated release so quickly. did they really say CarPlay in august? One of the YouTubers said the manufacturer will offer a board swap out for the units for a CarPlay upgrade.

Update- went ahead and ordered it. While CarPlay or AA would be a nice add, I'd just probably keep running Waze through my phone anyway so what this unit offers right now should be perfect. With the 15% discount came to around $215 from Hansshow for the one with the front camera option

Couldn't see the one with the camera option. Link ?

I'm interested although one has to wonder how long it will be before they come out with an improved version of this that has CarPlay and AA
I recommend 10.25'' instrument dashboard display from Tesery , which can intuitively and quickly reflect the various dynamic indicators of the car in the process of driving, is an indispensable part of the driving process. With the instrument display, it also adds cell phone interconnection, front view imaging, online navigation, voice assistant and other functions, which makes up for the lack of the original car center control screen, and is the choice of the majority of car owners to modify.

Just received my H6 Display from Hansshow. Will install in next few days. Also, it looks like they updated their UI options. I'm super happy that they increased the font size of the speed so that it would be easier to read.

Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 7.34.55 PM.png

Reactions: freed0m
Wow nice. This may be perfect display now that they got rid of that stupid double speedometer. The tire pressure is useful along with blind spot alert & front camera. Good job!!
Now of they can trigger the front camera to auto on when parking sensor comes on that'll be sweet.

Just received my H6 Display from Hansshow. Will install in next few days. Also, it looks like they updated their UI options. I'm super happy that they increased the font size of the speed so that it would be easier to read.
Can you give us your thoughts about the new UI and any bugs/issues you see with the new UI? I had my eyes on the unit for a while, but didn't like the old UI (old UI was a very bad design for day mode where font is white color on light color background with two places where displaying speeds)

So…the new UI is not readily available yet. I inquired to my contact about the updated photos and got the update file sent over for testing.

The software install is LONG (supplied instructions say 20mins, but took closer to 40 mins). It’s three separate update files that require a format of the usb drive for each file in between.

At first I thought the update did not work because the black screen with the car visual is now white and shows the odometer, SOC and time. This cannot be changed. I took it for a quick drive and was able to swap the UIs for the new ones pictured on their site. (The current ones are gone)

The UI is VASTLY improved and way more visible during the day and now there is actually a dedicated setting and UI button in the scroll wheel menu. (Scroll up/down as you would for tire pressure follow distance, etc.)

I was ranting and raving about it until last night I got in my car and my display is now stuck in a vertical orientation and there is nothing I can do to resolve it. I’ve unplugged the MCU cable at the computer and dash individually, unplugged the camera, powered down and on multiple times. It’s stuck and totally unusable and actually very distracting.

I’ve tried reverting to previous software - I get the word “unauthorized” in yellow on the upper corner. I tried reinstalling the new software and while it “installs” I am still in the vertical orientation.

Waiting on software techs to get back to me but I’m hoping the software didn’t brick my display.

Attachments

• IMG_4035.jpeg
    IMG_4035.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 112
  • Helpful
Reactions: reefer333_
So…the new UI is not readily available yet. I inquired to my contact about the updated photos and got the update file sent over for testing.

The software install is LONG (supplied instructions say 20mins, but took closer to 40 mins). It’s three separate update files that require a format of the usb drive for each file in between.

At first I thought the update did not work because the black screen with the car visual is now white and shows the odometer, SOC and time. This cannot be changed. I took it for a quick drive and was able to swap the UIs for the new ones pictured on their site. (The current ones are gone)

The UI is VASTLY improved and way more visible during the day and now there is actually a dedicated setting and UI button in the scroll wheel menu. (Scroll up/down as you would for tire pressure follow distance, etc.)

I was ranting and raving about it until last night I got in my car and my display is now stuck in a vertical orientation and there is nothing I can do to resolve it. I’ve unplugged the MCU cable at the computer and dash individually, unplugged the camera, powered down and on multiple times. It’s stuck and totally unusable and actually very distracting.

I’ve tried reverting to previous software - I get the word “unauthorized” in yellow on the upper corner. I tried reinstalling the new software and while it “installs” I am still in the vertical orientation.

Waiting on software techs to get back to me but I’m hoping the software didn’t brick my display.
Please keep us updated of what the software tech says and what they tell you to resolve it.

Reactions: PauliePucks
My unit arrived last Wednesday and on Friday I had the chance to install it. My unit came with the latest software.

I watched a bunch of different YouTube videos of various installs so my installation went very smoothly. I was done in less than 90 minutes working at a leisurely pace.

I’ve had the chance to drive around a bit with the display And here are my thoughts.

ThePros-

-I got the unit mainly to put the speed indicator directly below my view out the front window, where it has been in every car I’ve driven since age 16, and it does just that. There are 3 new UI’s to choose from and I think I like #1 the best. The speed is in a decent sized font and can be easily made out while driving.

-the information you are fed from the mini display is EXTENSIVE, everything Is there right in front of you, including the autopilot info.

- The screen does NOT block airflow

- The front camera and the blind spot indicators are fantastic

TheCons-

- The font size for a lot of the info on the screen such as temperature, odometer, miles left to drive/% battery etc. are all really small and as an older guy who uses reading glasses, fairly useless to me under driving conditions.

- The right scroll wheel controls the following distance in Autopilot and when active also scrolls through the options on the mini display at the same time even though you don't want it to.

- The display unit is not perfectly level- has a very slight tilt

All in all I am happy with this unit. I got it mainly for putting the speedometer right in the center of the dash where I expect it to be, and also for the front camera and blind spot indicator. All the other features are a bonus.

Also, as far as lack of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, I am a big fan of Apple CarPlay but have not really missed it since getting the Tesla. We have premium connectivity and just stream Apple Music directly, and our phone calls and text messages link right up to the Tesla interface. The only thing I'm missing is Waze but I just run it through my phone on a mount next to the main screen and don't see a need for having it on this mini display..

Last edited:
Please keep us updated of what the software tech says and what they tell you to resolve it.
When I whatsapp'ed Hansshow last night and mentioned about your experience and asked if there is a way to reverse it if there is a problem, they told me: "you can choose not to upgrade, just update the new UI". Not sure what he meant and I asked if can choose to only update the UI and he said " just follow the instruction upgard". I guess he meant just follow the upgrade instruction.

I will!
When I whatsapp'ed Hansshow last night and mentioned about your experience and asked if there is a way to reverse it if there is a problem, they told me: "you can choose not to upgrade, just update the new UI". Not sure what he meant and I asked if can choose to only update the UI and he said " just follow the instruction upgard". I guess he meant just follow the upgrade instruction.
I followed the instructions to the letter - I was even creating a tutorial video for the upgrade so others can follow along a bit easier.

It’s the weekend and they typically don’t get back to me until tonight after 9pm as it will be 9am there. It’s just more frustrating to have to drive with it that way (I’m not uninstalling it until I know it can’t be saved)

I was actually planning on going back to the 10.25 android display and didn’t because this new software actually fixed most of the UI issues I had with the previous software.

Hoping my experience isn’t one that others will experience. I won’t share the software until I know it can be fixed and there’s a resolution for this type of software error.

I will!

I followed the instructions to the letter - I was even creating a tutorial video for the upgrade so others can follow along a bit easier.

It’s the weekend and they typically don’t get back to me until tonight after 9pm as it will be 9am there. It’s just more frustrating to have to drive with it that way (I’m not uninstalling it until I know it can’t be saved)

I was actually planning on going back to the 10.25 android display and didn’t because this new software actually fixed most of the UI issues I had with the previous software.

Hoping my experience isn’t one that others will experience. I won’t share the software until I know it can be fixed and there’s a resolution for this type of software error.
I had nothing to do this afternoon so I took a chance to install the updates. It went smoothly and took me about 20 min. The only thing was the second file keeps updating every time after it restarted so I ad to pull the usb out right after the 3rd time, then went ahead to install the last file. Weird the instruction says to install the 2nd file, then 3rd then the 1st. But if you open the folder and it seems to make sense: the 2nd file is the actual image and to install that one first. I'll see if mine turns to vertical next time I turn on my car. How long after you installed the updates the orientation changed?

I had nothing to do this afternoon so I took a chance to install the updates. It went smoothly and took me about 20 min. The only thing was the second file keeps updating every time after it restarted so I ad to pull the usb out right after the 3rd time, then went ahead to install the last file. Weird the instruction says to install the 2nd file, then 3rd then the 1st. But if you open the folder and it seems to make sense: the 2nd file is the actual image and to install that one first. I'll see if mine turns to vertical next time I turn on my car. How long after you installed the updates the orientation changed?
Yes the update order was strange, and update “1” took quite a while.

As for when it started - So I would say it was the 2nd or 3rd drive when it went vertical. I took my kids to the movies, it worked fine on the way, they both even noticed how much nicer it looked. After the movie, we got in the car, the startup video is correctly oriented at boot up (still the case) and then the white screen was vertical and has been stuck that way since.

I have been going back and forth with their engineers this evening, they sent me a newer software (7-27-23) however nothing happens on my display. I don’t get any status bars or installation progress. Tried 2 different USB drives too. They’re pretty stumped. I asked if maybe there is an accelerometer or gyroscope inside that needs to be physically turned as well.

I also unplugged the dash side connection as well as the MCU side connection separately and that did not fix the issue either.

Yes the update order was strange, and update “1” took quite a while.

As for when it started - So I would say it was the 2nd or 3rd drive when it went vertical. I took my kids to the movies, it worked fine on the way, they both even noticed how much nicer it looked. After the movie, we got in the car, the startup video is correctly oriented at boot up (still the case) and then the white screen was vertical and has been stuck that way since.

I have been going back and forth with their engineers this evening, they sent me a newer software (7-27-23) however nothing happens on my display. I don’t get any status bars or installation progress. Tried 2 different USB drives too. They’re pretty stumped. I asked if maybe there is an accelerometer or gyroscope inside that needs to be physically turned as well.

I also unplugged the dash side connection as well as the MCU side connection separately and that did not fix the issue either.
Hm, I guess good luck to both you and me. Kind of weird that it worked right after the update but then the orientation changed and stuck by itself. I also used 3 brand new 16 GB usb drives when I installed mine. I'll report back if it happens to mine so they know it is a widespread problem. Hopefully, they can find a way to fix yours soon. Btw, I think the files I installed were 7-17-23.