Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow 6.86" Mini dash display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking to buy one. Anyone here has any tips or tricks when installing the camera wire through the firewall? I have a 2023 M3P.
For the 2023 M3 vehicles it's no easy task to get through the firewall (misnomer - no heat from ICE). For all the older year cars, there are several holes and plugs to punch through. For 2023 all the holes are gone. There are two large grommets up under the dash. The one on the right (passenger side) that most videos have suggested using but has a large conduit through which many wires run. It's also partially blocked by the MCU enclosure. I found that the grommet on the left (driver's side) is less populated. Only problem is that it's a little hard to get to without removing some of the trim, and you can't see the side facing the frunk. I have a flexible borescope so I could see the "fish" wire passing through. I have seen some people go along outer side of the grommet -- bad idea. I have seen people go through the main part of the grommet -- not so bad, but a little too close to the big fat power wire (I assume). You may notice that there are dimples around the periphery of the grommet that I recommend piercing, just don't push too hard otherwise the grommet dislodges. Then there is the problem of the yellow video cable connector. You need a pretty big hole to get it through. I cut the cable and then reattached the individual wires, but I doubt if anyone wants to do that. The second option, listed above, might be your best bet. Just remember the main cable goes to the passenger side to connect to the big light blue communications connector.

For the 2023 M3 vehicles it's no easy task to get through the firewall (misnomer - no heat from ICE). For all the older year cars, there are several holes and plugs to punch through. For 2023 all the holes are gone. There are two large grommets up under the dash. The one on the right (passenger side) that most videos have suggested using but has a large conduit through which many wires run. It's also partially blocked by the MCU enclosure. I found that the grommet on the left (driver's side) is less populated. Only problem is that it's a little hard to get to without removing some of the trim, and you can't see the side facing the frunk. I have a flexible borescope so I could see the "fish" wire passing through. I have seen some people go along outer side of the grommet -- bad idea. I have seen people go through the main part of the grommet -- not so bad, but a little too close to the big fat power wire (I assume). You may notice that there are dimples around the periphery of the grommet that I recommend piercing, just don't push too hard otherwise the grommet dislodges. Then there is the problem of the yellow video cable connector. You need a pretty big hole to get it through. I cut the cable and then reattached the individual wires, but I doubt if anyone wants to do that. The second option, listed above, might be your best bet. Just remember the main cable goes to the passenger side to connect to the big light blue communications connector.
This sounds like no easy task. I’m going to try the passenger side 1st and if it’s too hard, I might try the driver side grommet. Thanks for taking the time to explain all that. I appreciate it.

Wow nice. This may be perfect display now that they got rid of that stupid double speedometer. The tire pressure is useful along with blind spot alert & front camera. Good job!!
Now of they can trigger the front camera to auto on when parking sensor comes on that'll be sweet.

Looks like someone reviewed the updated display with Carplay/Android Auto. Although not officially from Hansshow but it looks pretty similar since it has a touch screen option. Looks nice.

Also it auto triggers the front camera when travelling less than 20 MPH. You can see that in the first video by Shiva watching from the 10:20 to 11:25 mark which is what you were asking for although not lined up with the Tesla Park Assist sensor of course but triggered off of speed.

Product page = T6' Carplay Steering Wheel Touch Screen Display

Last edited:
Reactions: BlkDragon
Looks like someone reviewed the updated display with Carplay/Android Auto. Although not officially from Hansshow but it looks pretty similar since it has a touch screen option. Looks nice.

Also it auto triggers the front camera when travelling less than 20 MPH. You can see that in the first video by Shiva watching from the 10:20 to 11:25 mark which is what you were asking for although not lined up with the Tesla Park Assist sensor of course but triggered off of speed.

Product page = T6' Carplay Steering Wheel Touch Screen Display

"it auto triggers the front camera when travelling less than 20 MPH" is not really useful. One usually wants the camera at the end of the trip while trying to park. It onlys trigger at the beginning of the drive. Let's say you are trying to park into a spot coming from somewhere, in order to trigger the camera, you would have to put the car into Park first in the middle of the road, then put into Drive and move to auto trigger the camera (I know there is manual trigger). Otherwise, camera will not auto trigger. Telsa's parking sensors will turn on in above scenario (without putting into P).

"it auto triggers the front camera when travelling less than 20 MPH" is not really useful. One usually wants the camera at the end of the trip while trying to park. It onlys trigger at the beginning of the drive. Let's say you are trying to park into a spot coming from somewhere, in order to trigger the camera, you would have to put the car into Park first in the middle of the road, then put into Drive and move to auto trigger the camera (I know there is manual trigger). Otherwise, camera will not auto trigger. Telsa's parking sensors will turn on in above scenario (without putting into P).
Right I understand its not the complete solution but still the fact that TMA at least tried to implement some auto camera function is good compared to Hansshow. But see what people want to be proposed can't be an easy solution.

If you always had the auto camera function when you start driving it would be annoying at least to me that every traffic light stop I have to view the auto camera when it is a green light for the first 20 mph. It doesn't have the smarts to say....only auto camera when parking a car whether that is in a garage or in a parking lot. It doesn't have machine learning like Tesla does to facilitate that. You are overestimating the 3rd party's ability to do this machine learning training of what a parking spot and a garage looks like. Your proposal is somehow expecting the T6 display to have magical powers to know when you are ending your trip and only activate the front camera then. Not realistic. Also keep in mind that Tesla themselves don't activate any cameras even with USS cars to turn them on when approaching a parking spot or garage so how can you expect that from a 3rd party app that is just tapping into the Tesla CAN Bus.

Personally I don't need the auto camera function at all. If I am approaching a parking spot....I mean how hard is it to hold right to the right scroll wheel for like literally 1 second to activate the camera. Especially if you are waiting for someone to get out of their parking spot OR if you are waiting for your garage door to open, you can use that time to just activate the front bumper camera. Its just one of those things that is a nice to have but its not like it requires so much setup to activate the front bumper camera. You can really think of this as a 1st world problem.

Last edited:
For everyone who's used a 10.25 how much airflow does it block and is there a way to redirect the air? No air conditioning to my face is kind of a dealbreaker. If only teslogic made a version that had camera capability or the 10.25 versions had a removable screen when it was very hot outside.

For everyone who's used a 10.25 how much airflow does it block and is there a way to redirect the air? No air conditioning to my face is kind of a dealbreaker. If only teslogic made a version that had camera capability or the 10.25 versions had a removable screen when it was very hot outside.
Isn't there a 10.25 inch display thread you can ask this question. I know recently it was either the 10.25 inch or the 9 inch display that they provided some air flow redirector hardware to install near the air vents to account for this. I am not sure what people's real life experiences are with this added hardware.

Right I understand its not the complete solution but still the fact that TMA at least tried to implement some auto camera function is good compared to Hansshow. But see what people want to be proposed can't be an easy solution.

If you always had the auto camera function when you start driving it would be annoying at least to me that every traffic light stop I have to view the auto camera when it is a green light for the first 20 mph. It doesn't have the smarts to say....only auto camera when parking a car whether that is in a garage or in a parking lot. It doesn't have machine learning like Tesla does to facilitate that. You are overestimating the 3rd party's ability to do this machine learning training of what a parking spot and a garage looks like. Your proposal is somehow expecting the T6 display to have magical powers to know when you are ending your trip and only activate the front camera then. Not realistic. Also keep in mind that Tesla themselves don't activate any cameras even with USS cars to turn them on when approaching a parking spot or garage so how can you expect that from a 3rd party app that is just tapping into the Tesla CAN Bus.

Personally I don't need the auto camera function at all. If I am approaching a parking spot....I mean how hard is it to hold right to the right scroll wheel for like literally 1 second to activate the camera. Especially if you are waiting for someone to get out of their parking spot OR if you are waiting for your garage door to open, you can use that time to just activate the front bumper camera. Its just one of those things that is a nice to have but its not like it requires so much setup to activate the front bumper camera. You can really think of this as a 1st world problem.
So I was NOT saying you always want the camera when you start driving, quite the opposite. I am saying how useless that feature is because it only turns on when you start driving. I agree with you that it is so useless that I would rather have them turn off.

And you don't need any complicated logic with AI/machine learning to solve the problem. All you need to do is read Tesla parking sensors from CAN bus and trigger the camera when the sensors are triggered(and it doesn't have to be ultrasonic sensors, tesla vision trigger is fine too). We know that it is possible because 10.25 display which came out 1 year ago, already did that(that camera comes on only when parking sensors are triggered in Telsa). In addition to the sensor signal, you can even get the distance (how far in ft/m) from Telsa CAN Bus. Again one or more of the displays already can display that distance info. So yeah, it is realistic to assume that ppl who wants to sell customers their product should be somewhat competent to copy or imitate what is already out there in the 3rd party market.

Off topic: TMA and Hansshow are not product makers, they are just resellers. So don't buy into YouTubers saying how TMA listens to him and try to implement something. They can ask/gave suggestions to the product makers, but they don't produce anything. Otherwise, there won't be other sellers in chinese site selling the same product for 50-75% of what these two are selling.

Reactions: erik23
It’s a pretty significant blockage, you can angle the airflow towards the window (swipe the airflow to a single stream) and it will bounce off the glass, it’s just something I’ve tried that does help somewhat.

The camera functionality on the 10.25 is the best iteration of it IMO. It works based on radar (if you have it)

Reactions: BlkDragon
It’s a pretty significant blockage, you can angle the airflow towards the window (swipe the airflow to a single stream) and it will bounce off the glass, it’s just something I’ve tried that does help somewhat.

The camera functionality on the 10.25 is the best iteration of it IMO. It works based on radar (if you have it)
Sounds like the 10.25" display camera should be the standard use for everyone of these 3rd party displays with a proximity sensor on the camera.

When I did the install in my 2023 the grommet on the passenger side was not even fully flush with the cutout hole. It made it really easy to just go around the outer side of the grommet and once the wire was in place I could see no discernible difference in the seal

Frankly I wouldn't go with Hansshow. Customer support is really bad and there are lots of complaints online.

I just ordered the display and they sent me the wrong version without touch and carplay even though they stated "every H6 after august 20th has carplay" then stated it also has touch. It implied I should order with confidence. Thankfully I got that on email, checked the SKU on the box (which matches no carplay) before installing, and paid via paypal.

Personally I'm going to wait and see if teslogic comes out with a wireless camera. I trust that company far more and can make do until then even if it's not ideal.

Last edited:
Frankly I wouldn't go with Hansshow. Customer support is really bad and there are lots of complaints online.

I just ordered the display and they sent me the wrong version without touch and carplay even though they stated "every H6 after august 20th has carplay" then stated it also has touch. It implied I should order with confidence. Thankfully I got that on email, checked the SKU on the box (which matches no carplay) before installing, and paid via paypal.

Personally I'm going to wait and see if teslogic comes out with a wireless camera. I trust that company far more and can make do until then even if it's not ideal.
i messaged Hansshow first to confirm what version they were selling currently and they told me that they are still working on the carplay version even though I pointed out the message on the website that talked about carplay/android auto. I hope you are able to return it.

I had a similar experience. Unfortunately, I discovered the issue after the completion of the installation and am now stuck with the non-carplay version of the product. I sent an email to Hansshow last week and am still waiting for their response. Thankfully, I paid using PayPal and will claim from there if I do not receive a response from Hansshow support by the end of this week.
Also, I had to update the software, although their website claims "orders placed after 20th of August, 2023 are the final version and do not need to be upgraded."

This is relevant to the RHD Tesla Model Y made in Shanghai. I spent much time searching for a place to fish the wire through the firewall. After many trials, I found the best place to fish it through. The left-side rubber grommet (passenger side for RHD vehicles) is accessible by hand. I asked my partner to move the grommet from the outside, and I could even see her fingers moving the grommet when sitting inside the vehicle. Routing the cable was pretty straightforward after that.

I had a similar experience. Unfortunately, I discovered the issue after the completion of the installation and am now stuck with the non-carplay version of the product. I sent an email to Hansshow last week and am still waiting for their response. Thankfully, I paid using PayPal and will claim from there if I do not receive a response from Hansshow support by the end of this week.
Also, I had to update the software, although their website claims "orders placed after 20th of August, 2023 are the final version and do not need to be upgraded."
When did you place your order?

So I take it that it was not preloaded with the July 27th firmware which I think is the latest firmware version? What date of firmware was it preloaded with on arrival?
There was no firmware identifier as I recall. I installed the update 1 through 3 from Hansshow website and the dashboard layout has improved. It took close to 30 minutes to go through those updates. The latest update is from around August