Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow Audio Upgrade? (SR+)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just want the metal subwoofer bracket to be honest! That's the real star of this audio kit. Then I can use Tesla Offer's harness and splice into my own DSP amp and subwoofer enclosure or the OEM subwoofer. I'm not sure what the OEM sub is?
I just want the metal subwoofer bracket to be honest! That's the real star of this audio kit. Then I can use Tesla Offer's harness and splice into my own DSP amp and subwoofer enclosure or the OEM subwoofer. I'm not sure what the OEM sub is?
I don’t want to mix different stuffs. or old or new version

I just swapped the speakers and harness from a 2018 to my AUG 2020 build SR+. Had to cut 4” speaker holes, drill 6ea 5/16” holes for the attach screws and cut holes in the insulation on the deck that came with my car. Took about 3 hrs total to remove, modify and reinstall. If the 2018 deck was in good shape it would have only taken 1.5 hrs to remove and replace.
I’ll post you tube video’s on my channel this weekend on this.

I just swapped the speakers and harness from a 2018 to my AUG 2020 build SR+. Had to cut 4” speaker holes, drill 6ea 5/16” holes for the attach screws and cut holes in the insulation on the deck that came with my car. Took about 3 hrs total to remove, modify and reinstall. If the 2018 deck was in good shape it would have only taken 1.5 hrs to remove and replace.
I’ll post you tube video’s on my channel this weekend on this.

These are the videos I would like to see!

Hi all - originally posted this on another thread, was prompted to add it here instead (which makes sense.)
--- Anyone here has 'The software' to 'do things?' on the Hannshow DSP ? I'm hoping to adjust crossover points, gain by freq bands, turn on/off spks...
--- Anyone has the schematic of the Hansshow harnesses ? Again, I had is installed so I didn't map it before (heck I didn't even see it) - but would really, really love to spend time with it... as I'm not sure it's fully helpful on the front door speakers.

Here it is:
FYI - I just got the Hansshow "Standard" installed yday on my SR+ which had no back spks, yet had unplugged front door tweets.
(The standard comes with the amp/DSP).
Few observations as I haven't had time to toy with it yet:
- Not sure if the whole audio goes through the Hansshow DSP or not (I didn't install, had it done)
- Not sure if the 'activation' of the front door tweet came at a performance cost on the SR+'s front door woofers*
- Not super impressed on the sound overhaul overall (!) - It did add back audio, but I was expecting more 'presence' / fill
- I have a 'feeling' that the front door's woofers are now heavily UNDERpowered compared to before. It might just very well be in my mind though.

FYI In the back I had installed a pair of Infinity 4032cfx ; and whenever I feel brave enough, I have 2x Faital 4'' "woofers" to replace the back door's ones (which currently have the equivalent output of a 1979 cheap color TV paper / cardboard speaker feel to it)
======
Immersion OFF
Both two EQ sliders for bass are MAXED out; I did have to lower the highest (Treble) by a few dBs because of the front door tweets being loud AF now, and I guess the Infinity in the back pumping out more highs. I did raise the top-most mid a bit.

When listening to Urban/Pop/Mainstream things like Cardi B, Harry Styles, Doja Cat - which I assume are havily companded/compressed in-studio - sound is not that great, bass fails to shake my pants (like I'm pretty sure it did before the Hannshow)

When listening to classical guitar (Narciso Yepes, Floyd's WYWH, Daniela Andrade's Creep remake) - Presence in the mid-high is stellar. Guitar licks, hand picking, etc. seems like my brains gets all the info as the hair on my arms does raise.

When listening to Piano (Gould's variations, 1981 version - or Patrick Watson's strange rain which I recommend) - One can clearly hear the hammers, the HISS of the poor equipment at the time, and even Glenn's famous humming.

When you go full dynamic range like Atom Heart Mother Suite, Carbina Burana, Tubular Bells (though this is not and have never been an impressive bit of recording), Ouverture 1812, Ian Garbarek's ... You get some very different results. Again, Kiri Te Kanawa's voice or Jan Garbarek's sax's are breath-taking, spine tingling. Cannon shots from 1812 much less impressive; but they get there.

All of that to say... not much. I've so far spent around 1.2k CAD on the audio overhaul - and not sure it's worth any of it.... but I have yet to invest more time AND i hope to F* that there are Pots, dip switches,etc. on the Hansshow DSP to fiddle with.

Hope I'll remember to fill you in here once I have toyed more with it; else please harass and ping me ([email protected])

tesla_dsp_routing.jpg Allright so after a bit of playing with the software and the HU's settings;
the package I got (Pro upgrade, DSP is labeled LS 9090A) - AND the software I got works as follows:
CH1-CH8 are the Tesla's speakers
CH1-2: Door tweets (newly activated, thanks!)
CH3-4: Dash 'woofers'
CH5-6: Front door woofers
CH 7: Dash Center (mid)
CH 8: Sub (in my case, absent.)

Then there are levers allowing you to assign/route which Original Tesla HU audio channel to those. Be weary as some have low/high pass applied - so dont try to route bass channels to the door tweeters - you'll think they're dead/unplugged.

And then you can fiddle with the EQ, change the filter type, and obv load the config in the DSP.

This is all great, and has allowed me to gain back some kind of confidence on the purchase.

BUT... it doesn't allow you to control the (newly added through this) rear deck spks nor the rear door spks.
That sucks significantly because they feel extremely underpowered and while they apply the Tesla HU's EQ curve.. it simply isn't enough.

For now I've circumvented this by boosting the bass to the max on the Tesla HU - only to then reduce it a bit on all channels in the Hannshow DSP's software; and then I send more juice to the back than the rest. It's not perfect - but at least the back seat doesn't sound like paper cardboard speakers.

View attachment 601499 Allright so after a bit of playing with the software and the HU's settings;
the package I got (Pro upgrade, DSP is labeled LS 9090A) - AND the software I got works as follows:
CH1-CH8 are the Tesla's speakers
CH1-2: Door tweets (newly activated, thanks!)
CH3-4: Dash 'woofers'
CH5-6: Front door woofers
CH 7: Dash Center (mid)
CH 8: Sub (in my case, absent.)

Then there are levers allowing you to assign/route which Original Tesla HU audio channel to those. Be weary as some have low/high pass applied - so dont try to route bass channels to the door tweeters - you'll think they're dead/unplugged.

And then you can fiddle with the EQ, change the filter type, and obv load the config in the DSP.

This is all great, and has allowed me to gain back some kind of confidence on the purchase.

BUT... it doesn't allow you to control the (newly added through this) rear deck spks nor the rear door spks.
That sucks significantly because they feel extremely underpowered and while they apply the Tesla HU's EQ curve.. it simply isn't enough.

For now I've circumvented this by boosting the bass to the max on the Tesla HU - only to then reduce it a bit on all channels in the Hannshow DSP's software; and then I send more juice to the back than the rest. It's not perfect - but at least the back seat doesn't sound like paper cardboard speakers.
Thank you for all of this! So does the DSP allow time alignment for the new tweeters? How is the soundstage

Thank you for all of this! So does the DSP allow time alignment for the new tweeters? How is the soundstage
No time alignment of anything; just plain EQ

Soudstage is the bit that's mostly improved - since I always found the center channel took too much space- I toned it down and mostly use it for lows (since the newly plugged in door tweeters are quite strong and on the horn side)

Listened to a few SACD rips, Diana Krall's temptation got me bone chillin, and you could tell where every instrument were in the studio;
likewise for Hotel california live; I isolated lead guitar's channel on WYWH from the 6CH SACD rip - trust me you can hear Gilmour's fingers dancing on the strings; every lick is there and perfectly represented (I realize this is less on the sounstage side but thought I'd provide.)

I do have some tuning to do - the dash 'woofers' bottom out too often on the low mids; (Patrick Waton's voice & piano is enough to do so during Strange rain)

Thanks for the review. Looking forward to the install.

How long did it take to get delivered? Getting antsy.
It took a while actually. I ordered September 27 and I just received it today.

Apparently right after I ordered their factory went on some kind of holidays for 1 week and a half and they shipped it early October.

Installation time : 2h, because I took my sweet time. Also,I ran the wires under the carpets.

Reactions: sa012