Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation voice with Hansshow audio upgrade muffled since 2023.26.7 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone noticed that since the 2023.26.7 software update that the navigation audio is muffled?

I've got a Hansshow audio upgrade kit installed. Everything is perfect other than this.

if I had to guess, I would say the audio channel used to output voice has been changed, and I need to change something in the Hansshow DSP. I have the software for it but it's really not intuitive at all.

Reactions: Froog
I have Type F version with DSP and tried to connect via USB to troubleshoot. I think there is/are one or few speakers from the behind centre console which is not routed via Hansshow cable and this is where navigation audio is coming out now.

I'm hoping for a fix that doesn't involve removing the speaker upgrade. The best outcome would be Tesla making the change optional. Failing that, some kind of harness modification which allows us to "pipe" the missing channel into another.

I can't see Tesla making the change for us. I don't think they're super welcoming of third party companies altering the vehicles. I hope Hansshow comes up with something that can be done in the DSP.

@Hansshow - any updates? I've notified support about this but haven't heard anything back about this.

The article shows why it's dumb for car companies to do software lockouts. Aftermarket hackers/tinkerers will inevitably find ways to enable the stuff, then it becomes an arms race.

Companies will end up wasting more resources trying to stop the tinkerers than they save by having one hardware configuration and several software configurations.

Personally I'm of the opinion "when you buy it, it's yours" and there's nothing wrong with these tweaks.

For example, if a computer manufacturer were to include 128 GB of RAM in all of its laptops. You buy the bargain model that comes physically with 128 GB, but only 8 GB is "activated" due to a crippled version of Windows installed on the machine. You then install Linux or FreeBSD or something on the laptop, which doesn't have the software restriction. You just got yourself 120 GB of extra RAM for free, and that is your privilege.

You bought the laptop, so it's yours to upgrade as you see fit.

Reactions: swan and Gaggu P
The article shows why it's dumb for car companies to do software lockouts. Aftermarket hackers/tinkerers will inevitably find ways to enable the stuff, then it becomes an arms race.

Companies will end up wasting more resources trying to stop the tinkerers than they save by having one hardware configuration and several software configurations.

Personally I'm of the opinion "when you buy it, it's yours" and there's nothing wrong with these tweaks.

For example, if a computer manufacturer were to include 128 GB of RAM in all of its laptops. You buy the bargain model that comes physically with 128 GB, but only 8 GB is "activated" due to a crippled version of Windows installed on the machine. You then install Linux or FreeBSD or something on the laptop, which doesn't have the software restriction. You just got yourself 120 GB of extra RAM for free, and that is your privilege.

You bought the laptop, so it's yours to upgrade as you see fit.
I absolutely agree. Locally, I have heard of one owner with an M3 SR+ with the Hansshow kit on the latest software from Tesla and the navigation voice is fine. I've also heard of one owner whose navigation voice is muffled after the newest update and the vehicle is completely stock (no mods).

We don't know if it's a coincidence with Hansshow owners noticing it more frequently, if it was intentional or other.

That article seems a bit sensationalist.

I'm more inclined to think they just changed the speakers from which the voice comes out, and that Hansshow took the product down as people are inevitably going to complain when the kit they just bought is muffling the sound.

I would not be surprised if companies with kits are working on a solution - I expect they'd like to continue to sell them given the large potential customer base.

"Note: Due to issues caused by Tesla system upgrades, which are not related to product quality, refunds are not supported. Product warranty is one year."

No acknowledgement that a specific problem exists, nor if they're working on a fix. Just a vague "issues caused by Tesla system upgrades". Nice.

I can't imagine that a sound system upgrade that cripples voice is going to make them popular.

I have a harness from a different manufacturer, not Hansshow, but I have this problem. When I wrote to them about it, they said they tested it on the breaking software version so they consider it working. It could be a coincidence and our VCFRONT modules went back. If you search for this issue prior to this thread, there are only two incidents of a muffled navigation voice and both times are because of a broken VCFRONT. I believe it's a $700 part so if you're out of warranty like I am, it's going to be a costly fix.

I have a harness from a different manufacturer, not Hansshow, but I have this problem. When I wrote to them about it, they said they tested it on the breaking software version so they consider it working. It could be a coincidence and our VCFRONT modules went back. If you search for this issue prior to this thread, there are only two incidents of a muffled navigation voice and both times are because of a broken VCFRONT. I believe it's a $700 part so if you're out of warranty like I am, it's going to be a costly fix.
Thanks for sharing, good to know that it is not only hansshow.

Did your harness have any sort of DSP or audio cross-over built-in? I am curious if the issue is still present with the inexpensive passive harnesses.

I have a stock no mods 2023 M3SR and it has had a problem with the muffled 'text reading' which I assume is the same as the navigation speech (I mute it). The problem has appeared then disappeared since I've taken delivery. Currently is is muffling but it wasn't last week. Haven't had time to address it with Tesla.