Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation voice with Hansshow audio upgrade muffled since 2023.26.7 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the video. I have the version F installed on my 2021 M3. I was relieved that my navigation seemed to be “ok” after my software update. I had assumed that the “muffled” sound would be more pronounced. I might be impacted as well given that I really can’t tell much of a difference between the stock and “impacted” version.
Glad to hear, I barely use it and if I use it, it is usually mute LoL...just follow the blue line.

I have a stock M3 LR AWD with the same symptoms. I believe this problem is not related at all with the audio mod (since many stock Tesla have the same issue) but with the processor model and other hardware
That's what I said to Tesla when they were diagnosing my car. In the end, they charged me $600 to diagnose / resolve with the fault being Hannshow Version F kit. Once they removed the adapter and plugged in directly, it worked properly.

I pointed out that other members without the kit have reported the same issue but with anything Tesla service, it falls on deaf ears.

The audio in that video didn't sound that bad. It was still intelligible to me. It definitely sounded different than the my, but it was still understandable.

From these posts I figured it was much worse. I wonder what they did to the audio signal to cause this, if it was intentional.

Hi all,

I collected my 2023 M3SR+ a couple of weeks ago, and i noticed that (unfortunately) the speakers in the front A pillars don't work.
I then understood they are deactivated due to me not having the premium audio package.

Seeing this thread, is it true that i am able to activate the front A pillar speakers by adding a wiring loom to the car? I've come across some examples on amazon/aliexpress. I never use the spoken navigation, so having that be degraded is no problem for me. I do want to be sure that regular music quality is not affected.

I don't have the rear parcel shelf speakers, but i don't care much about them working.

I purchased the hansshow wiring harness before they pulled it off the market due to the issues.I never got around to installing it but I went ahead and did it anyways knowing it affects the navigation audio since i always have it on mute. it works flawlessly and haven't had any issues with normal audio whatsoever. 2023 rwd here.

Reactions: kaimanson
I purchased the hansshow wiring harness before they pulled it off the market due to the issues.I never got around to installing it but I went ahead and did it anyways knowing it affects the navigation audio since i always have it on mute. it works flawlessly and haven't had any issues with normal audio whatsoever. 2023 rwd here.
does the temu wiring harness reffered look similar to yours?

Do you feel the harness affects regular audio quality?

does the temu wiring harness reffered look similar to yours?

Do you feel the harness affects regular audio quality?
No idea what the Temu one looks like but id steer clear of anything from that site that goes plugged into your car. Id err on the side of caution and get the evoffer one since we have no idea when Hansshow will release theirs again.

Im no audiophile or professional in that realm but to me, it gives front stage audio a bit of clarity and brightness. Its not a dramatic change but nice to know the speakers are being used and not just idle.

Recently I started looking at wiring diagrams, and theorised that maybe Tesla have moved the voice to mostly come out of the centre speaker, with some of the remaining sounds coming out of the other speakers.

Testing that theory today, I bypassed the Hansshow harness at the MCU, and voice came through the centre channel on the dash. Great! I took it a step further. I put the Hansshow harness back, but with one change. As my 2019 already had parcel shelf speakers, I had the two speakers leftover that came with the kit, that were intended for the parcel shelf. I shoved the wires of one of those speakers into pins 9 and 10. I sent myself a text - and full voice through the speaker! 😲

I haven't got a permanent fix yet - my weekend's running out and it'll have to wait a week. But at least I have voice coming out through a little speaker I have rolling around in the passenger footwell.

I suspect the permanent fix will be to ensure that pins 9 and 10 on the harness pass through the Hansshow harness properly.

I might be rambling to myself here, but in the event someone else searches for this problem and stumbles across this thread:

It's fixed. I had a closer look at the harness where it plugs into the ECU. On pulling back the wrapping, I found this:

20231125_104206.jpg

Take a guess what those two wires on the right are for?

So I snipped the other side of the harness where the centre speaker's wires disappear into the rest of the harness, and joined them directly to the two unconnected wires you see above. The mod basically looks like this:

1700897913309.png

And... the centre speaker is back! I can hear navigational instructions, and I can hear my text messages being read out. I don't know what I lose out on by doing this, but really, I don't care.

And I can remove the test/temporary centre speaker I had rigged up to verify the hypothesis I listed in my last post:
1700898077585.png

I might be rambling to myself here, but in the event someone else searches for this problem and stumbles across this thread:

It's fixed. I had a closer look at the harness where it plugs into the ECU. On pulling back the wrapping, I found this:

View attachment 993674

So I snipped the other side of the harness where the centre speaker's wires disappear into the rest of the harness, and joined them directly to the two unconnected wires you see above. The mod basically looks like this:

View attachment 993676

And... the centre speaker is back! I can hear navigational instructions, and I can hear my text messages being read out. I don't know what I lose out on by doing this, but really, I don't care.

And I can remove the test/temporary centre speaker I had rigged up to verify the hypothesis I listed in my last post:
View attachment 993680
That's amazing! Thank you so much for the info! I will try on the weekend too 🙌

Reactions: sabretooth

View attachment 993674

View attachment 993676

View attachment 993680
Wow, thank you so much for posting this fix that you discovered! I’d like to do this to my setup, but I’m a little confused . When you say you snipped the other side of the harness, do you mean you attached new wires from the 2 short, unused cables in your first photo (on the “passenger side B” connector) and connected them to the “passenger side a” connector? Or did you need to run wire the full length of the harness? Trying to understand how this is all put together so I can do the same thing myself! Thanks

Ok, I pulled my harness out of the ECU to evaluate and fix and was able to get this to work! Unfortunately the version of the Hansshow harness I have didn’t have the 2 small wires coming from the connector (as shown above in the photo) but instead had empty slots. I was able to rig it together following the images shown by @sabretooth as a guide. Thanks so much! It’s nice to have intelligible text message and navigation narration back!

Last edited:
Reactions: kaimanson