Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HANSSHOW Trunk Liftgate v3 install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From that picture it could be under taillights or through the blue grommets but not sure if they spent the extra time to fish it there. If you go through a heavy rain or wash your car have a look around the taillight for moisture to make sure it stays dry there. Running through taillights is the easiest way to install but will distort the taillight seal which may cause issues down the road.

yeah, Im glad you brought this up. Do you have any recommendations to help "seal" this from potential rain getting in?

yeah, Im glad you brought this up. Do you have any recommendations to help "seal" this from potential rain getting in?
If you are comfortable with removing the taillight, add some silicone there. At least with silicone, it's easy to remove if the taillight ever needs to be removed. Re-routing the wires would be better but also a pain in the butt at this point.

Okay install all set new canbus system is nice. Ran the canbus control wire under the center tunnel carpet.

sealed all locations came out great 2.5 hours, I’m a low voltage guy so this is pretty straight forward for me. Just take your time and check your work before closing up.

Attachments

• E61F989D-B43E-4E2A-89D0-5241B15DFB9E.jpeg
    E61F989D-B43E-4E2A-89D0-5241B15DFB9E.jpeg
    527.2 KB · Views: 111
I am struggling with this Hanshow trunk kit. I purchased the v4 update in which they sent me a new latch but also a new wiring harness and a few other wires. The CAN bus adapter they sent doesn't fit my car. I have a 2018. But I do have this orange cable that goes in the can bus connection on the control unit and the other end has this small connector. Where does this connect? Do I need the larger can bus adapter?
Also I have this second cable that looks like it goes to the lights, but I already have a cable from the control unit hooked to the lights. I am thinking this cable has been deprecated by the new wiring kit. I really am in the last mile of this install, I just need to know what to do with this orange wire.

Attachments

• IMG_7231.JPG
    IMG_7231.JPG
    218.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_7230.JPG
    IMG_7230.JPG
    244.8 KB · Views: 81
@robarino, Hansshow told some purchasers they were going to make a pre-2019 CANBUS adapter but don't think they've done that yet and frankly there's not much incentive for them to do so. When I helped a friend put in a v4 Hansshow trunk unit into a 2019 car, the CANBUS was connected and did nothing. A few weeks later, Hansshow released a firmware update and the plus side of the update is that it smoothed out the closing but sadly the CANBUS still did not function. For now, it is only TeslaOffer that has a properly working CANBUS feature that prevents the trunk from being opened. Also, TeslaOffer has specific CANBUS connectors for pre-2019 and 2019+ cars.

@robarino, Hansshow told some purchasers they were going to make a pre-2019 CANBUS adapter but don't think they've done that yet and frankly there's not much incentive for them to do so. When I helped a friend put in a v4 Hansshow trunk unit into a 2019 car, the CANBUS was connected and did nothing. A few weeks later, Hansshow released a firmware update and the plus side of the update is that it smoothed out the closing but sadly the CANBUS still did not function. For now, it is only TeslaOffer that has a properly working CANBUS feature that prevents the trunk from being opened. Also, TeslaOffer has specific CANBUS connectors for pre-2019 and 2019+ cars.
So are you saying that my trunk can open while the car is in motion? Will the Tesla offer one work with the Hannshow one and will they sell it?

So are you saying that my trunk can open while the car is in motion? Will the Tesla offer one work with the Hannshow one and will they sell it?
Yes, your trunk can open while the car is in motion or even while at a stop light with car in Hold. The Hansshow trunk kit does nothing with the CANBUS signal so for example if you had a foot sensor, it could trigger the trunk to open when you're in Drive. No idea if the TeslaOffer plug would work with the Hansshow kit and even if it did, they might not sell them to the competition's customers as this could put them in a situation of risk. At this point, even getting the TeslaOffer adapter would not help as the current Hansshow firmware does not appear to have any CANBUS functionality. Hopefully Hansshow resolves this.

Did you contact me ? I didn't got your message on whatsapp. I just sent you message.
I have to say, the Hanshow support is a bit maddening. The fact that they have ZERO solution for folks with cars in the 2018 model year and the whole CAN Bus connectivity is concerning. For this reason I would not recommend Hansshow. Their response time via whatsapp is inconsistent at best. NOT Happy

Folks, I’ve learned a ton installing the trunk kit and am finally buttoning things up. Does anyone know how to remove the white clips on the trunk lid? I’m trying to reinstall the plastic cover and it appears that the 4 white clips need to be removed before you reinstall. I can’t get them off without destroying them. Anyone know part number or where on amazon I can get them? Is there a tool to extract?

Folks, I’ve learned a ton installing the trunk kit and am finally buttoning things up. Does anyone know how to remove the white clips on the trunk lid? I’m trying to reinstall the plastic cover and it appears that the 4 white clips need to be removed before you reinstall. I can’t get them off without destroying them. Anyone know part number or where on amazon I can get them? Is there a tool to extract?
I use a clip removal tool like this.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0734VKNYK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_5vCGFb9B19YQS