Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow won't open frunk fully

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the hansshow power frunk a year ago and now my frunk opens about 10 inches and won't lift anymore. It closes fine, but I can't get the frunk to fully open. Any suggestions on how to fix this or at least get it open so I can remove it?

I got the hansshow power frunk a year ago and now my frunk opens about 10 inches and won't lift anymore. It closes fine, but I can't get the frunk to fully open. Any suggestions on how to fix this or at least get it open so I can remove it?
You mean it doesn't even lift open manually (by force)? I assume the lifts went from fully working to the current state directly, i.e. it wasn't a gradual deterioration of the lift height? If so, I wonder if it's the 12V battery that is the problem.

Upvote 0
assuming the struts are good, try to manually (carefully) raise the hood to the open position and then hold the open safety button for around 10 secs to reset the system. You should hear a long beep. I think I saw this when I first installed. Good luck.
Also, I’d lift with someone else from the closest point to the struts you can get. Do no try to lift from the front.

Upvote 0
This makes me so nervous since I feel like this is pretty much the only "MUST" mod I would do.
You mean auto-frunk in general or the Hansshow one specifically? This is indeed the only must-mod for me as well, but I went with EVOffer's version. I watched a YT video from two Tesla influencers comparing their auto-frunk mod side-by-side, one EVOffer and the other Hansshow. You can tell the difference in the sound, speed/smoothness, and closing flushness. No clear winner but I really liked the EVOffer one, especially how flush it was after latching.

Upvote 0
You mean auto-frunk in general or the Hansshow one specifically? This is indeed the only must-mod for me as well, but I went with EVOffer's version. I watched a YT video from two Tesla influencers comparing their auto-frunk mod side-by-side, one EVOffer and the other Hansshow. You can tell the difference in the sound, speed/smoothness, and closing flushness. No clear winner but I really liked the EVOffer one, especially how flush it was after latching.
Auto-frunk in general. For me, that functionality takes the frunk from never used to always used. The fragility of the hood and necessity to press it in just the right way make it impractical to use otherwise.

Reactions: mangrove79
Upvote 0
Auto-frunk in general. For me, that functionality takes the frunk from never used to always used. The fragility of the hood and necessity to press it in just the right way make it impractical to use otherwise.
Thought the same thing when I got my Y a year ago. Installed the EVOffer kit right away and loved it ………… until it wouldn’t open. After lots of anxiety on a road trip a friendly SC tech got it open for me. I removed it when I got home. Now, I use my frunk all the time ……. opening and closing it manually as delivered. Easy-peasy, no problem, one handed, etc. Now I wonder why I thought the auto-frunk was so important.

Upvote 0
Thought the same thing when I got my Y a year ago. Installed the EVOffer kit right away and loved it ………… until it wouldn’t open. After lots of anxiety on a road trip a friendly SC tech got it open for me. I removed it when I got home. Now, I use my frunk all the time ……. opening and closing it manually as delivered. Easy-peasy, no problem, one handed, etc. Now I wonder why I thought the auto-frunk was so important.
I certainly hope that mine doesn't stop working when I get to a year with it. I'm halfway there and it's been problem-free. I read that earlier versions the control unit wasn't waterproof, but probably not your issue considering yours was only a year old.

Being able to use the button in the frunk to close it is a side benefit I didn't expect before buying the kit. I had always imagined to use the app, or Siri shortcut, to open and close the trunk. But the frunk button is just super convenient after you put the stuff in.

Upvote 0
I totally agree with you!
Early this week, I had the auto frunk installed by Yahasun Auto Parts.

What initially drew me to them was that they do the installation. They've done hundreds of installations, so he obviously knew exactly what he was doing, and completed the entire job in about 45 minutes.

Their auto frunk device has a safety mechanism, so if you start to close it and it bumps against your head or anything else, it instantly reverses and opens back up. It also tests the frunk after closing, to make sure it's completely latched.... it's also fully software upgradable, without having to remove it!

Overall, really thrilled with the Yahasun. They're also very responsive... whenever I texted them prior to my appointment, I heard back within the hour! I even texted a question at midnight, figuring I'd hear from her in the morning, and she texted me back instantly, said she happened to be awake, and proceeded to answer all of my (pre-installation) questions!

Either way, Hannshow, Yahasun... an auto Frunk is a must have! I find myself using the frunk much more then the trunk now (holds filled shopping bags upright, while if they were in the trunk, they'd invariably tip over and spill everything out!)

Reactions: mangrove79
Upvote 0
You mean it doesn't even lift open manually (by force)? I assume the lifts went from fully working to the current state directly, i.e. it wasn't a gradual deterioration of the lift height? If so, I wonder if it's the 12V battery that is the problem.
It worked fine until I took it in to Tesla for a tire change. I checked the app and noticed they had the Frunk open and didn’t think anything of it. A couple weeks go by and I didn’t have a reason to open it so when I finally did it was in this state.

Upvote 0
Mine went in around October and has worked ok but I sprayed some white lithium grease to lube things up last week and then it wouldn’t close. Turned out I hit the little contact switch that detects the hood so it quit pulling it down.

My first suspicion would be that (assuming its got power still if they touched the battery). Believe the photo I’m attaching has a arrow pointing to it. Could be when it pops that isn’t disengaging (long shot). Its the only sensor I can think of aside from the power strut having issues. I also have seen mine not flip up before which is why I shot it with white lithium grease and then screwed myself up lol.

I also performed a hood alignment on my car as my hood was more to the drivers side than I liked. So I also adjusted my passenger hinge and was having a easy time opening and closing the hood even though I’d get some resistance from the power strut.

Attachments

• 62992412-0BB9-401D-A492-E8A682B48EA0.jpeg
    62992412-0BB9-401D-A492-E8A682B48EA0.jpeg
    575.9 KB · Views: 649
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Perhaps its because I have had a model 3 since the end of 2018, and got the model Y for my wife in march of this year (2022) that I dont feel the need for an aftermarket auto frunk kit.

I close it manually "easy-peasy no problem, one handed, etc" just like you do. I just pull it down so the hood rests on the latch, reverse my hand, and press on the front of the hood to press it closed:

IMG_0107.jpg

A tesla mobile tech showed me I could close the front trunk this way like 3 years ago. My hand is basically lined up with the tesla logo on the hood, and I just press the heel of my hand down. "click" no issue, no bend, no stress, etc.

Reactions: BnGrm and DanDi58
Upvote 0
yeah I also felt better after putting PPF on the hood touching it to close, but I did some Siri shortcuts to let me “open front trunk” when carrying take-out or something else I want to put in the front. I also didn’t have to explain the closing technique to every family member though I still get stuck telling them how to open the passenger door hahah

Upvote 0