Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Happy Birthday Essie!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
December 20, 2012 was the first day of deliveries for Model S in Canada. The very first batch of four were delivered at 9 am in a hangar at Toronto's Pearson airport.

Since I had a single-digit Signature reservation number, I was luckily able to grab one of those four slots. I wanted it early in the day because Essie's very first drive would be a five hour road trip, not counting the needed mid-trip charging stop.

I got up, left the hotel, and drove my soon-to-be-traded Infiniti to the local Starbucks for breakfast. I sat down to enjoy my tea and a breakfast sandwich, when seemingly all at once the place filled up with commuters. With a lineup snaking around my little table it wasn't exactly very relaxing. So I gobbled my sandwich, grabbed my tea and left.

Thanks to the noisy Starbucks I arrived at the Pearson hangar somewhat early. The place was full of Tesla employees chomping at the bit to deliver their first car. So... they introduced me to #2006.

IMG_1264.JPG

They got me to sign some paperwork while they popped snow tires on it and threw the summer tires in the trunk. Add a license plate and I roll it out of the hangar!

IMG_1278.JPG

Now it was only by about 15 minutes, but this was actually the first Model S delivered in Canada!

(Strictly speaking there was already an American car in PEI, owned by a fellow with dual citizenship. But that's cheating.)

Had an uneventful drive home, making it back just before the snow flew. That's when I introduced her to Tessie, who was safely tucked into a car cover for the winter.

IMG_1284.JPG

One year and a little over 20,000 km later, it's now her first birthday! This late fall has been a lot colder and snowier than last year's - we've already got lots of snow on the ground, and poor Essie is covered in salt. No point washing her because another snowstorm is arriving as I write. But she's going into her first annual service in top condition!

Img_2360.jpg

One year later - this time covered in salt. :frown: (I didn't put the cover on Tessie this year because I didn't get a chance to wash her before the weather packed it in!)

Last edited:
I remember.

I was a Canadian reservation holder at the time. We were all "glued to our screens", anxious for Tesla to start delivering in Canada. Boy, was I was happy when the cars finally made it across the border. Your delivery story made everything more real and tangible, at the time. It wasn't just vapourware anymore... my reservation actually meant something! Tesla was delivering in Canada! Thanks for sharing your story.

And now, I'm happy to be sharing the Ottawa roads with you in my own Model S.

Doug, you getting your car was an exciting time last year as it then meant weeks until the start of delivery of the Canadian general production cars. With much anticipation and some schedule changes due to delivery truck and green license plate delays, I ended up (I believe) being the first Ontario general production car delivered in Toronto on Feb. 14th. A Valentines day to remember!

I am coming to Ottawa in Feb. for the weekend but am not sure taking the S will work without superchargers. Hope they come soon!

Duckjybe, I'm sure you can come to Ottawa with the Model S. I do Ottawa/Toronto trips all the time. Just stop in Cobourg for a charge. Takes a bit longer but it's a nice trip.

Also I updated my original post to include a one-year-later garage pic.

Yes great story Doug! Wow we all had so much anxiety waiting for our Sigs to finally arrive.
I was supposed to get mine the same day but was informed at the last minute it was stuck in a snow storm on the truck in North Dakota. Ugh! Had to wait until the 23rd but finally got it and have never looked back.
25,000 km later and still the best car I've ever had.
Seasons Greetings everyone.