Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hardware 4 & Steer by Wire Coming to Model 3? | TMC Podcast #44

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

We discuss the Model 3 Refresh, also known as "Project Highland" is expected to include Hardware 4, steer by wire, yoke steering wheel, matrix LED headlights, an updated exterior and interior, and RBG ambient lights. We also discuss Tesla's expected purchase of a wireless charging company Wiferion and what that may mean for Tesla's future innovations, as well as other topics.

Topics-
0:00 Stream begins
0:09 Intro
1:12 Tesla to purchase wireless charging company Wiferion
15:01 Rivian to adopt NACS as well, what about Lucid?
21:59 Model 3 Refresh to come with HW4 and steer by wire?
35:57 Dojo starting production, and more from Tesla AI on Twitter
55:36 Questions and comments

Co-hosts-
Louis: @nebusoft
Mike: @SteelClouds
Doug: @doug
Seb: @Seb P85D

Producers-
Adam: @ElectricAve84
James: @scrapps
Daniel: @danny

Social-
Twitter: https://twitter.com/TeslaMotorsClub
Facebook: Log into Facebook
Instagram: Tesla Motors Club (@teslamotorsclubofficial) • Instagram photos and videos
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/teslamotorsclub

Audio versions-
Apple Podcasts: ‎‎Tesla Motors Club Podcast on Apple Podcasts
Spotify: Tesla Motors Club Podcast
Amazon Music: https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/38bacc87-f8b7-4f5c-aa64-2db865214942
TuneIn: Listen to Tesla Motors Club Podcast on TuneIn
RSS: https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/1950101.rss

Support us-
PayPal: PayPal.Me
TeslaMotorsClub website: Account upgrades
Copy of TMC Podcast #43.png

Last edited:
Infiniti's steer-by-wire system had a fail-safe mechanical backup in the form of an inexpensive clutch that would engage under spring pressure to directly connect the steering wheel to the steering rack if something went wrong. Tesla's design has redundancy which nearly doubles the cost and if electrical power is lost, you lose the ability to steer. That concerns me.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Infiniti's steer-by-wire system had a fail-safe mechanical backup in the form of an inexpensive clutch that would engage under spring pressure to directly connect the steering wheel to the steering rack if something went wrong. Tesla's design has redundancy which nearly doubles the cost and if electrical power is lost, you lose the ability to steer. That concerns me.
yup. project highland is all about cutting costs, fewer parts, efficiencies... hard to see Tesla opting for a state of the art steer by wire system which also will be heavily scrutinized by regulators....

If it has steering by wire a test drive will be necessary before ordering. Why would Tesla take the risk? Especially on the Model 3. Put steer by wire on the Model S or the Model X first. Maybe it will debut on the CT.
steer-by-wire if done right isn't cheap - not even close to. I don't see a mass market vehicle like the 3 or Y getting it nor the Cybertruck which is already delayed and plagued by more mundane issues...

Reactions: rpiotro and Adam3

Unless there is mechanical backup like some systems, part of the redundancy will also be the power supply. Main bat, 12 V bat and maybe even another backup bat (Lexus system has all this). No steer by wire system that provides no steering upon 'normal' loss of electrical power will ever be approved.

No way M3 refresh is introducing steer by wire. Bad rumour, lost in translation, etc.

Infinit's system has three computers and two motors for redundancy. In addition to the last resort mechanical clutch. I would be very surprised if Tesla did any less.