Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Harris Ranch is getting first battery swap station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming SuperCharging will be available with the lower priced Model 3, it would seem there would be future scale/congestion issues at SC stations? Is there a market for those who own/rent/live in condos, apartments etc where charging over night is and likely will never be an option? It might seem strategically placed Swap stations located in high density populations (e.g. Santa Monica, San Francisco, etc) would appeal to those who would like an EV, but don't want to spend hours a week 'charging' up. Subscription Packs (4/30 announcement)?

When there is a line of cars waiting at Supercharging Stations there will be a market for Battery Swapping stations regardless of where the owners live. Obviously it is about convenience and the value of peoples' time.

If I owned a Tesla and I lived in a multi-unit dwelling (MUD) that didn't have accommodations for charging I would be forced to find alternatives to overnight charging. The first thing I would do is see where the closest Supercharger Station was. If it was a reasonably distance that's where I would go. If it turned out it was congested and IF it also had a Battery Swapping Station collocated there I would pay the fee for the swap. However, if it was congested and didn't have a Battery Swapping Station I certainly wouldn't drive the typical distance between Supercharger Stations just to do Battery Swap.

Tesla started the Supercharger network for the most part with an emphasis of installing Superchargers BETWEEN destinations. They are just beginning to address the needs of owners in cities and have started to install Urban Superchargers. In my opinion the first Battery Swapping Stations should be installed where there is demonstrated congestion at a Supercharger Station. If that Supercharger is in an Urban location, then it may be of use to people with Teslas that live in MUDs without overnight charging. As the realtors say, location, location, location.

It should be noted that 30% of the US population live in MUDs. That's a large percentage to write-off for EV ownership. Ironically in Florida those cities and counties with the highest EV adoption rates also have a high incidence of MUDs. In Fort Lauderdale, where Tesla sells a lot of Model Ss, 57% of the population live in MUDs. As you suggest, there might be a need for Battery Swapping Stations in such locations, but first there needs to be Urban Superchargers.

Another issue facing those folks who wish to substitute regular Battery Swapping for home overnight charging is the shear wear and tear on the car. After Tesla gets a bit of experience under its belt I wouldn't be surprised to hear them make an announcement regarding the maximum recommended frequency of Battery Swaps.

Larry

Did the swap again today...only had to charge once at Tejon ranch for 10 minutes for LA to SF going 90mph. Maybe could have done it without charging if going 70mph. Got a -D battery pack in exchange for my -D pack. Saved me about 40 minutes charging in Harris Ranch. Maybe not a big deal, but made it home for dinner.

less than 5 minutes...first time takes longer because they need to install a battery sled for future visits.

I have a lot of questions about how the whole thing works.

Did they just email you an invite? For subsequent trips, do you just tell them ahead of time when you're going to be there? Do they have people meet you there, or is it staffed at certain hours?

What's the form of payment?

Do you definitely get the same battery back? Are you required to do a round trip to do so?

I'm very curious, thanks.

i asked my service adviser and got an invite in email. Yes you have to tell them ahead of time with a 1 hr window. This is just in the beginning when the workers are driving up from LA or SF to help with the swap. It will improve as there becomes permanent workers there. I was supposed to do a swap today, but then I got sick...so I have to do it tomorrow during the day. I would have driven in the middle of the night.

Credit card. Yes you get the same pack back, i usually just take a photo of the pack sticker in the right from wheel well. Yes must complete the round trip in a timely manner, I think a week or two?

Timelapse footage of Tesla's battery swap station not being used during the busiest driving holiday of the year. Also visible: two backup Superchargers hooked up to a Doosan diesel generator. Filmed by Edward Niedermeyer at Harris Ranch, CA on Saturday, May 23 2015 as part of Daily Kanban's investigation of Tesla's battery swap program.

Last edited by a moderator:
I spoke with the swap station manger on Friday May 22. He was at Harris ranch installing the mobile superchargers for the busy weekend. He told me that the swap station was shut down until June 2; explaining why there is no action in the above video on May 23. He did not elaborate on why it was closed. He also said they have done ~100 swaps, it costs $80 for a return trip and takes about 5 minutes. He said all the bolts are torqued to specification. I enquired about when there will be full automation and while not giving a straight answer, it was clear this is not in the cards anytime soon.

Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 8.30.48 AM.png

I see the garage door open at least 3 times. Since the timelapse is using 1 min interval picture capture and since opening/closing a garage door takes less than that I presume there could have been more than 3 potential swap events.

15:02:46, also at 16:04:46 and the other one passed 17:00. Tmestamp on the video, not actual video timing in youtube.

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see how they handle their inventory of loaner packs once it opens up to the public. Also, if it isn't fully automated I'm assuming it will need to be staffed 24/7 to account for folks returning after business hours?

Geez and that must be some diesel generator to churn out 100s of kW necessary for SpC.

I see the garage door open at least 3 times. Since the timelapse is using 1 min interval picture capture and since opening/closing a garage door takes less than that I presume there could have been more than 3 potential swap events.

15:02:46, also at 16:04:46 and the other one passed 17:00. Tmestamp on the video, not actual video timing in youtube.

As I noted above, the swap manager told me on May 22 that the station was shut down until June 2. So no swaps happening on that video.